Non-England World cup thread 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ATigerinAfrica

Re: Non-England World cup thread 2019

Post by ATigerinAfrica »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:10 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:05 pm Damn Wales winning that game, calls are now being made to include Fiji in a Rugby Championship, something clearly needs to be done about giving Fiji (and Japan) more Tier 1 fixtures because I would consider them Tier 1 rugby nations.
Get that but think they would be better off going down the route of the Jaguares/Pumas first
Genuine question alert... do we think the Pumas have improved notably recently and, if not, is there any mileage (as some do) in suggesting the Jaguares are a limiting as well as a helping factor? I've seen some commentary suggesting it has variously a) diluted the Pumas identify by encouraging a non-Puma-tastic Super Rugby style (where else have we seen that critique...?) Or b) reduced the distinction between club and country to the extent players play together too much. Thoughts?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think it was Contemponi who was interviewed before their England game who said that they had to change their style of play in order to compete in the Southern Hemisphere competitions and they had had to become less reliant on the set piece.
I personally think that they have become over reliant on the Jaguares and it was a mistake for them not to take the likes of Cordero and Isa.
If they are to continue to grow I feel they will benefit from having the likes of Lavanini playing in the premiership, which I feel is the competitive in the world, and introducing new ideas to the Pumas
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Very good reffing,just a yellow
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Another one sided game,poor as a spectacle for the neutral
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

This is red!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:57 am Very good reffing,just a yellow
Weren't too shabby was it.
It is a shame though that Sir is far more strict on Samoa slowing down off feet at the ruck then he is for the Irish.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes, some of Ireland's BD work is laughably illegal
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Ireland so boring.
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:15 pm Ireland so boring.
Tbf I think their playing what’s required following the red card.
The Irish look like they’re starting to click, New Zealand will not look forward to facing them in the quarters if that happens
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:30 pm
The Irish look like they’re starting to click, New Zealand will not look forward to facing them in the quarters if that happens
The result was never in doubt but they persisted in keeping the ball with the forwards who who just weren’t advancing. They’ve got talented backs who were probably screaming for the ball. Samoa, however, are a shadow of the side they used to be so a rather hollow Irish victory. They’re in the quarterfinals but I can’t see them going any further.
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:54 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:30 pm
The result was never in doubt but they persisted in keeping the ball with the forwards who who just weren’t advancing. They’ve got talented backs who were probably screaming for the ball. Samoa, however, are a shadow of the side they used to be so a rather hollow Irish victory. They’re in the quarterfinals but I can’t see them going any further.
We will have to agree to disagree. I thought they were very efficient and played the right way losing a man in the backs so early.
Murray and Sexton both seem to be finding some form.
Given that they will be playing either the Boks or New Zealand in the quarters you’re probably right about them progressing, but they’ll give either of them a good game
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought so.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

USA vs Tonga quite frustrating to watch, officiating not brilliant, a lot of Tonga shoulder tackles going amiss. Really want the Eagles to come back in this game.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good try from Veainu.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Good to see the Tongans finish with a flourish, and nice it was Veainu. Nice touch at the end that Kalamafoni holds the ball for Piutau to convert, nothing massive but 2 players retiring from Internationals.

Now lets have our Tongans back, a bit of rest and then back into our season raring to go.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.