PRC Round 1 - Warriors vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: PRC Round 1 - Warriors vs Tigers

Post by JP14 »

I worked out 70% as being 17 players, you can still have all the old guys (who are Academy graduates) and that still leaves some players left who are the young development players.

Of course Brett is a rugby coach so the “70%” was probably a wild estimation and I perhaps took the figure too literally.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:15 am Oh wow anyone seen the team Sale are putting out for their first game? They’ve got a very good squad for next season, to think that isn’t their first choice backrow.
It's pretty much their first team TBH
I would say our current first team should do alright v them on paper.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Worcester Warriors: 15 Scott van Breda, 14 Perry Humphreys, 13 Ashley Beck, 12 Ryan Mills, 11 Dean Hammond, 10 Jono Lance, 9 Michael Heaney, 1 Ethan Waller, 2 Isaac Miller, 3 Conor Carey, 4 James Scott, 5 Graham Kitchener, 6 Ted Hill, 7 Caleb Montgomery, 8 GJ van Velze (C).

Replacements: 16 Beck Cutting, 17 Ryan Bower, 18 Farai Mudariki, 19 Michael Fatialofa, 20 Sam Lewis, 21 Gareth Simpson, 22 Jamie Shillcock, 23 Alex Hearle.

Leicester Tigers Team (vs Worcester Warriors, Sixways Stadium, Saturday 3.00pm)
15 Freddie Steward

14 Sam Aspland-Robinson

13 Joe Thomas *

12 Tom Hardwick

11 Andy Forsyth

10 Sam Costelow *

9 Jack Van Poortvliet *

1 Facundo Gigena

2 Charlie Clare *

3 Gaston Cortes

4 George Martin *

5 Harry Wells (c)

6 Sam Lewis

7 Tommy Reffell

8 Ifereimi Boladau *

Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau

17 Keston Lines *

18 Joe Heyes

19 Cameron Jordan

20 Thom Smith

21 Jonny Law

22 Johnny McPhillips *

23 George Worth

* Tigers senior debut
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

First game of the season against a more experienced Worcester team will show where our youngsters are actually at.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So much for Murphy's line about not treating it as a development competition then!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought Murphy said he would treat this as a development competition?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:42 pm I thought Murphy said he would treat this as a development competition?
no he said they are using it as pre season, so surely you'd want a few more senior players involved
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:43 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:42 pm I thought Murphy said he would treat this as a development competition?
no he said they are using it as pre season, so surely you'd want a few more senior players involved
Very few senior players start in the first preseason fixture though.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:44 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:43 pm
Very few senior players start in the first preseason fixture though.
which is usually against much weaker opposition than a pretty damn strong Worcester side
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well let’s hope Worcester regret it.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

At the last supporters meeting at the end of last season the club stated that Tigers would take all future competitions seriously, as they were aware that they had not done so during that season. Furthermore, the club stated that it was all about developing a winning mentality and restoring confidence. Seems things have not changed :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

But the club isn't viewing this as a competition it's viewing it as pre season.
I know the club is wanting to take the Challenge cup seriously.

Saying that the prem cup has always been a more development focused league.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting that King Ackermann has picked a team that's even more inexperienced than ours nearly.
Gloucester Rugby:
Reece Dunn; 14. Jake Morris, 13. Tom Stanton, 12. Tom Seabrook, 11. Louis Rees-Zammit; 10. Lloyd Evans, 9. Charlie Chapman; 1. Alex Seville, 2. Henry Walker, 3. Jamal Ford-Robinson; 4. Alex Craig, 5. Simon Linsell (capt); 6. Josh Gray, 7. Aaron Hinkley, 8. Jack Clement

Replacements:
Ethan Hunt, 17. Ciaran Knight, 18. Ruan Dreyer, 19. Harry Butler, 20. Joe Howard, 21. Stephen Varney, 22. George Barton, 23. Alex Morgan
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tigers have ten potential first team players not available due to World Cup & other commitments. The remaining squad all need some game time, we are playing a team with I believe no absences due to international call up. Our squad for the day includes varying levels of experience including a smattering of full internationals, a few under twenties caps and mostly with experience of first team rugby with us or elsewhere.
I expect to see our Premiership Cup teams getting stronger over the coming weeks and by the time our internationals return they will have a challenge to regain their first team spots. I am looking forward to this game for which seats near the halfway line have only cost £17.00
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

sapajo wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:53 pm At the last supporters meeting at the end of last season the club stated that Tigers would take all future competitions seriously, as they were aware that they had not done so during that season. Furthermore, the club stated that it was all about developing a winning mentality and restoring confidence. Seems things have not changed :smt017
Sigh.......and so the whingeing begins.

For what it’s worth, I reckon the first two away games will feature the kids and the two home games will have more of the players who will be starting the first Premiership game......or at least the split will be some form of 2x2 between the kids and the main XV.