Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Post by RagingBull »

Williams, Rhodes, Figallo and Clark to leave saracens by the end of the month

Would love to sign Rhodes somehow till at least the end of season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not a massive fan of Rhodes but I guess he’s one of those players who you hate when they play for other teams but you would love playing for your own team. My guess is that he will be snapped by a Super Rugby side.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:37 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:58 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:11 pm Saints are after him reportedly.
With Taufua playing flanker and Kalamafoni not getting any younger Dombrandt would fit in at Tigers pretty damn well.

Kalamafoni has been in good form this season with Taufua and Lavanini alongside but you'd presume his potential re-signing will be a lower contract that when we signed him whilst desperately needing at 8.
Kalamafoni will be 32 by the start of next season. I imagine he'll take a smaller salary if he give him the security of a two year deal. If we sign someone like Dombrandt so that he can rotate in and out of the side and continue his career for even longer all the better for him.

If we were to get Dombrandt and get Liebenburg back fit I wonder if we could push Kalamafoni into the second row. He did a bit there for Glaws. Having him and Lavanini behind our props plus the power of a Liebenburg, Taufua, Dombrandt backrow. That's beyond even Chiefs levels of heavy artillery.

I suspect they'll be a big queue for Dombrandt if he leaves Quins though
Come on, there won't be a big queue for Dombrandt …… there will be a HUGE queue for him.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I rate Mike Rhodes but I'm happy with the back row options currently. Taufua has been brilliant, Lewis and Reffell have come through well, Kalamafoni is in good form and Thompson coming back fit.

Rhodes would fit well as injury dispensation for Liebenberg but thinking longer term I'd rather see Lewis and Reffell get game time.

I'd prefer to save the injury dispensation budget for when it might be really needed. If Lavanini, Taufua or Ford get bad knocks then we will desperately need that cap space.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Would have thought Rhodes won’t have any problem getting a contract with one of the South African super rugby franchises especially as they’re in pre season
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/george-k ... nd-england

Now he would be perfect.
Shame it's to Japan, guessing he doesn't think the Lions is for him next season.

Makes isiekwe staying into very likely.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Is he a massive loss to England? I’m not so sure. I’d argue his presence will be quickly filled by Isiekwe at club level in a lineout capacy, To be honest I thought he would leave Saracens for game time ages ago but he did rediscover his pre Lions form.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He's the best set piece lock in England IMO so he is a loss.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Kruis is a vital cog in the Sarries machine. Lawes and Kruis are England's best line-out leaders by a mile.

Isiekwe is an excellent replacement, presumably he'll stay at Sarries if Kruis leaves. I wonder if the Kpoku to Saints deal is signed and sealed?

Kruis has a very good working relationship with Borthwick who mentored him for most of his career. Meeting Japanese wages within the cap is unlikely though.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:54 pm He's the best set piece lock in England IMO so he is a loss.
In line-out and the scrum it's worth saying. Marler coming on the RWC final made a big difference but Kruis came on at the same time. Coley looked a different scrummager as soon as Kruis was behind him.

Our prop options with Lavanini and Kruis behind them in the scrum would be fantastic.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Makes perfect sense to replace the older, higher-paid player and keep the next upcoming star. Sarries and England won't miss Kruis much at all - not that he isn't excellent just that they have other excellent players to replace him.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It's an interesting move, can't begrudge him the pay packet though. It is however galling to see Sarries ship all these players to meet payroll but still be allowed to keep using them this season! Absolutely ludicrous situation!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:15 pm It's an interesting move, can't begrudge him the pay packet though. It is however galling to see Sarries ship all these players to meet payroll but still be allowed to keep using them this season! Absolutely ludicrous situation!
The thoughts are they'll have to jettison some players mid season in order to stay under. So though they might have started the season with then they won't have them at the business end.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:54 pm He's the best set piece lock in England IMO so he is a loss.
In terms of lineout he’s brilliant but there’s a year or two left in Lawes at an international level to steady the ship and that’s enough time to develop Isiekwe or Hill (surprised to not see his name touted more)?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:05 pm
In terms of lineout he’s brilliant but there’s a year or two left in Lawes at an international level to steady the ship and that’s enough time to develop Isiekwe or Hill (surprised to not see his name touted more)?
If you mean Ted Hill, he is much more of a back rower. Stookes name is being mentioned by quite a few pundits