Re: Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Post by Mark62 »

Max Malins going to Bristol on loan, I’d missed that one
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Jimmy Gopperth signs new Wasps deal ahead of 37th birthday...

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport ... t-18294708
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Gopperth definitely worth a new deal.For me, Wasps have done some good business recently with both retentions and new signings.Interesting to see how the new coaching set up acquits itself with what is turning into a half decent playing staff.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Gopperth definitely worth a new deal.For me, Wasps have done some good business recently with both retentions and new signings.Interesting to see how the new coaching set up acquits itself with what is turning into a half decent playing staff.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:33 pm Ridiculous response, have you heard of this thing called the cap?
Have you heard of these things called marquee players, spending big money on coaches and other staff, and the fact that not all clubs spend up to the cap, particularly newly promoted ones? And let's not forget how many years we listened to everyone saying how "intelligently" Saracens spent their cap...

That aside, Bristol are a couple of long term injuries away from being lower mid table.

Be honest with yourself, it doesn't take a genius to come up with the idea to sign Piutau, Hughes, Radrada and Sinkler - what it takes is money. Not just money to pay them, but money to invest in everything else at the club to convince those superstars that they're going to have a chance of winning something.

I promise you, Radrada didn't go to Bristol because they were the only club clever enough to think of signing him.

Your two examples for comparison don't help your argument either. As has been pointed out, Falcons won the League that season, and if you think London Welsh have ever had the capacity to spend the same as Bristol currently do then you're living in a parallel universe. Welsh didn't lose every single game because they weren't intelligent enough to think of signing world class players, they lost every game because they couldn't afford to sign 15 average Premiership standard players.

All my opinions, but I feel pretty strongly that they aren't worthy of ridicule.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Falcons won the league but then dropped considerably and haven't been consistently financially sound since.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It's now just about paying the big bucks, it's paying the big bucks to the right people. Bristol have done that, we wasted a lot of money on de Villiers, Pietersen, Toomua and a lot of forwards that weren't worth their salt.

The marquee system should be abolished as its inflating wages and encouraging clubs to sign superstars instead of players that will add to them more longterm. But only Piutau and Radrada are marquee at Bristol. Hughes, Sinckler, Afoa, Naulago are all under cap, yes players like Luatua and Morahan were probably paid more in the Championship than they are now but the fact remains that it isn't all about having the money it's spending it correctly which Tigers have done until very recently.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Bristol haven't won anything but promotion.
Their injuries seemed to be increasing prior to lockdown, I recall they signed a hooker on loan.
They were well beaten at WR this season and had the season continued I think they would've dropped down the table whereas I think after the 6N Leicester would've climbed the table.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:09 pm Bristol haven't won anything but promotion.
Their injuries seemed to be increasing prior to lockdown, I recall they signed a hooker on loan.
They were well beaten at WR this season and had the season continued I think they would've dropped down the table whereas I think after the 6N Leicester would've climbed the table.
Agree on Tigers. The result over Worcester and the losing display Vs Sarries had given a glimmer of hope and we looked like we might be turning a little bit of a corner.

Bristol have been the same all season. They can be and are bullied up front at times and their defence isn't good. If you can stop the running riot in attack then as we did you can grind them down and get a result. If Bristol want to be a regular top 4 side then they need to add some quality to the tight five and whilst Sinckler is a good signing as Afoa has been rather crucial, lock and loosehead still need some work.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

Got to be noted the only game Bristol won outside the international window in the prem was the first post world cup game against Exeter. So their league position is deceptive.

At this time they do still look underpowered upfront as others have said and I would rather follow Tigers current recruitment strategy to theirs, although I was hoping for Naulago to come to us and that comment is predicated on Tigers getting the high end lock we are being promised and hopefully another backrower - Liam gill or Callum gibbons please as newby / salvi type 7s
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:50 pm It's now just about paying the big bucks, it's paying the big bucks to the right people. Bristol have done that, we wasted a lot of money on de Villiers, Pietersen, Toomua and a lot of forwards that weren't worth their salt.

The marquee system should be abolished as its inflating wages and encouraging clubs to sign superstars instead of players that will add to them more longterm. But only Piutau and Radrada are marquee at Bristol. Hughes, Sinckler, Afoa, Naulago are all under cap, yes players like Luatua and Morahan were probably paid more in the Championship than they are now but the fact remains that it isn't all about having the money it's spending it correctly which Tigers have done until very recently.
And I suppose you thought this when their signings were announced, right? You read that we had signed Toomua and thought "what a waste of money, he'll definitely get a long term injury and hardly play for the club, then leave early because his ex wanted him back".

Also, am I the only one who remembers the 6N a couple of years ago when Toomua was playing 10 and everyone said he was better than Ford? Are we all pretending that never happened because we felt rejected when he left, like an ex girlfriend we definitely loved until she broke up with us at which point we honestly never liked her much anyway?

How do you know all the Bristol signings are going to work out perfectly? Has Naulago ever played rugby union before? How many matches will Sinckler actually play for Bristol (especially when compared to the ever-present Afoa)? Will half a Radrada be enough, or will they regret not signing a whole one? Since you predicted the failures of De Villiers and Toomua you probably already know the answers to these questions, but for the rest of us it is not yet certain.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

[ulist=][/ulist]
Tiglon wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:46 am
JP14 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:50 pm It's now just about paying the big bucks, it's paying the big bucks to the right people. Bristol have done that, we wasted a lot of money on de Villiers, Pietersen, Toomua and a lot of forwards that weren't worth their salt.

And I suppose you thought this when their signings were announced, right? You read that we had signed Toomua and thought "what a waste of money, he'll definitely get a long term injury and hardly play for the club, then leave early because his ex wanted him back".

Also, am I the only one who remembers the 6N a couple of years ago when Toomua was playing 10 and everyone said he was better than Ford? Are we all pretending that never happened because we felt rejected when he left, like an ex girlfriend we definitely loved until she broke up with us at which point we honestly never liked her much anyway?

How do you know all the Bristol signings are going to work out perfectly? Has Naulago ever played rugby union before? How many matches will Sinckler actually play for Bristol (especially when compared to the ever-present Afoa)? Will half a Radrada be enough, or will they regret not signing a whole one? Since you predicted the failures of De Villiers and Toomua you probably already know the answers to these questions, but for the rest of us it is not yet certain.
Agree with this. I know I was very excited when we signed Toomua and still think that he is world class. Was very disappointed when he left particularly due to the circumstances of his departure :smt003
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Naulago has played rugby union 15s for the Army and 7s for Saracens. As you correctly point out Sinckler will be absent for England but they still have Afoa to rotate with.

No I did not think Toomua was going to be a failed signing, he rescued O’Connor’s neck in 2018 with some great individual performances but that argument has been done to death. Furthermore he is married to Ellyse Perry and I’m pretty sure they never split, so your comments there are wide of the mark.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:42 am Naulago has played rugby union 15s for the Army and 7s for Saracens. As you correctly point out Sinckler will be absent for England but they still have Afoa to rotate with.

No I did not think Toomua was going to be a failed signing, he rescued O’Connor’s neck in 2018 with some great individual performances but that argument has been done to death. Furthermore he is married to Ellyse Perry and I’m pretty sure they never split, so your comments there are wide of the mark.
:smt044 I think we have something of a misunderstanding here. The "ex" I was referring to was the great nation of Australia and more specifically their national rugby team. Matt Toomua's relationship status is very probably none of my business.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I have no issues with Matt Toomua leaving early....he joined knowing that he would not be considered for selection for Australia and giving up hope on further international caps. Cheika makes an approach to him to see if he would be available for the World Cup, so an exit was agreed for him to join Melbourne Rebels. Rebels had injury issues with Fly Halves and requested an early release of Matt, to which Tigers agreed, having already more or less secured survival in the Premiership. Had Tigers lost at Newcastle, I am not sure that he would have been released early....no issues with Matt.....
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk