Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Post by Cardiff Tig »

And don't forget the frankly disgusting abuse he got from some so called fans that went well beyond criticising his play.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Yes I thought that Toomua was quality in the 10 position during a period where Leicester just couldn't get in behind anyone.
He stretched the play pretty well in front of teams which is no easy task especially early in matches when everyone is fresh.
Also no coincidence that Exeter were interested in Harrison's quick ball around that period.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Izack Rodda would fit the bill in terms of a lineout leader we are looking for.

(Pretty sure off to Japan anyway)
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:53 pm Izack Rodda would fit the bill in terms of a lineout leader we are looking for.

Yes - Rugby Australia and Queensland Rugby Union have released Izack Rodda, Harry Hockings and Isaac Lucas after they refused Covid-19-related pay cuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52783196

These guys are professionals. Being required to take a pay cut presumably breaks the contract and enables players to find more lucrative employment elsewhere immediately and without penalty. Difficult in terms of team cohesion to have a squad where most accepted a pay cut but a few who didn't. Don't you think?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:22 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:53 pm Izack Rodda would fit the bill in terms of a lineout leader we are looking for.

Yes - Rugby Australia and Queensland Rugby Union have released Izack Rodda, Harry Hockings and Isaac Lucas after they refused Covid-19-related pay cuts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52783196

These guys are professionals. Being required to take a pay cut presumably breaks the contract and enables players to find more lucrative employment elsewhere immediately and without penalty. Difficult in terms of team cohesion to have a squad where most accepted a pay cut but a few who didn't. Don't you think?
As the saying goes there is no "I" in team. I think if the team does not need an "I" it is better off without it.
As Good As It Gets
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

BFG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:24 pm Yes I thought that Toomua was quality in the 10 position during a period where Leicester just couldn't get in behind anyone.
He stretched the play pretty well in front of teams which is no easy task especially early in matches when everyone is fresh.
Also no coincidence that Exeter were interested in Harrison's quick ball around that period.
My view is that Toomua was actually too good for us when he was with us. George Fords' inability to seemingly play with a creative 12 is his one big minus point, the two of them didn't really work together.
You can hardly blame Toomua for wanting to leave, playing for your country when they go out of their way to get you back must be good for the ego, plus the time away from his wife.
Some of those games he played at 10 were pure class.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Dont think anyone could argue Matt Toomua's qualities as a Rugby player alone...
For me those qualities were neither shown, nor were in any way apparent once his head was turned, and lets face it his own contract extension spin and rhetoric did not help.
Again , this has been covered times over , personally have no axe to grind and do not go with the the over the top abuse but he still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
Ultimately , If they don't want to be here - get them gone.
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:01 am Dont think anyone could argue Matt Toomua's qualities as a Rugby player alone...
For me those qualities were neither shown, nor were in any way apparent once his head was turned, and lets face it his own contract extension spin and rhetoric did nit help.
Again , this has been covered times over , personally have no axe to grind and do not go with the the over the top abuse but he still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
Ultimately , If they don't want to be here - get them gone.
You can make positives in that the experience probably helped make Ford a better player and Leicester will benefit in the future.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Franco Mostert is apparently signing a 4 year deal with Red Hurricanes
https://www.netwerk24.com/Sport/Rugby/m ... n-20200524 (https://rugbyrocks.com/bok-lock-to-leav ... dY_8gAhp_U)

Sounds like all the lions players will be off by next season potentially.
Installed that great culture people on here was raving about.

Looks like another Gloucester rebuild.

I do find it slightly rose tinted saying that Radradra, Naulago, and Sinckler are great signing despite not playing a game for them yet nothing to say they won't have the same impact the our marquee players mentioned had for us.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:34 am
BFG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 12:24 pm Yes I thought that Toomua was quality in the 10 position during a period where Leicester just couldn't get in behind anyone.
My view is that Toomua was actually too good for us when he was with us. George Fords' inability to seemingly play with a creative 12 is his one big minus point, the two of them didn't really work together.
You can hardly blame Toomua for wanting to leave, playing for your country when they go out of their way to get you back must be good for the ego, plus the time away from his wife.
Some of those games he played at 10 were pure class.
Ford's best domestic season was with Eastmond a creative 12. Ford played a key role in us dominating NZ in the world cup with Farrell at 12 a combination that's been in place for the majority of their international careers. I'm unsure how you can say Ford can't play with a creative 12?

Toomua had a brief purple patch playing 10 during an international period but he failed to recreate that. I don't think his style of play really suited the Tigers team he joined and he never adapted. Perhaps had he got more game time with Mauger at the helm and with Freddie at 10 the more expansive game they were playing would have got more out of him. MOC wanted a more basic attacking structure and whilst Ford can be pragmatic that doesn't suit Toomua. As it stands out attacking structure still needs a lot of work so him leaving really doesn't bother me as I'm not sure him staying would have benefited us anyway.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 am Franco Mostert is apparently signing a 4 year deal with Red Hurricanes
https://www.netwerk24.com/Sport/Rugby/m ... n-20200524 (https://rugbyrocks.com/bok-lock-to-leav ... dY_8gAhp_U)

Sounds like all the lions players will be off by next season potentially.
Installed that great culture people on here was raving about.

Looks like another Gloucester rebuild.

I do find it slightly rose tinted saying that Radradra, Naulago, and Sinckler are great signing despite not playing a game for them yet nothing to say they won't have the same impact the our marquee players mentioned had for us.
Bit of a shame for Gloucester, it does all seem to be falling apart again and I feel sorry for the fans.

The lesson here is that the much-advocated idea of signing a fancy Saffa coach and loads of Saffa players isn't necessarily a great long term plan. Nothing wrong with signing overseas players, but it's probably not wise to build your club around them. Let's just keep working on our academy and making sensible high-quality additions from overseas when available, please Tigers.

People say having a "sugar daddy" is risky because he might walk away one day. Well, what about signing a coach and asking him to bring all his mates with him? Same problem. The culture needs to be about more than just one leader and be held together by more than just one leader. I get the impression that Glouc for the last couple of years has been all about Ackerman, not Glouc itself. The true gauge of successful leadership is what happens after you leave - looks like we are now seeing the true quality of Ackerman's leadership.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wonder with this will repeat in some capacity at Sale, it could only take a falling out between Diamond with Ross or de Klerk to prompt a mass exodus from their South African contingent.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:34 am My view is that Toomua was actually too good for us when he was with us. George Fords' inability to seemingly play with a creative 12 is his one big minus point, the two of them didn't really work together.
Maybe a truly great 12 should be able to adapt and complement any 10 they play with? Two way street and all that.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Add a pinch of salt with news from 'The Ruck' , but apparently Sarries (Championship version) are looking at Matt Garvey:

https://www.ruck.co.uk/rumour-saracens- ... h-forward/

Always rated Garvey .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Regarding the Toomua / Ford debate I wonder just how many times they actually played together with injury and international calls I don't think it was that many over the three years they were both with us.