Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

brooksey845

Re: Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Post by brooksey845 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 am
Tiglon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 am How many years does a player have to join for to make it worthwhile? 2 years? 5 years?

I'd take Maro for one year in a heartbeat, because it would make Tigers a better team next season. Simple as that. Every club is a "halfway house" and a means to an end for every player, some just stay longer than others.

Refusing to take a player like Itoje for a season on the principal of not wanting to "help" Saracens would insane and would only hurt Tigers.
Remember the impact that Rocky Elsom had in the season when Leinster won the HC for the first time. Ask any Leinster fans if they think one season was too short.

The only disadvantage of signing Itoje, if we can afford him, for a season is if we then lose the opportunity of signing another international standard lock as a long term option and will be left.
The only valid reason not to have him but if no one else is available on the market then sign him up. Anyone that against the idea is silly!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

No one doubts Itoje's quality's or ability , nor is it the Sarries connection that sets me against a single season deal should it be possible.I see the potential marriage of convenience as benefiting The Club less than it benefits the player whilst at the same time helping a (potential) competitor .He is a quality player and would shine (most probably) for anyone but a year in which his heart lies somewhere else is not to my personal tastes.That said I'd still applaud just as loudly should he put on our shirt.
As another post put it , should we find a quality long term target willing to come then this is the option I'd personally go for , if not then I would not cut off my nose to spite my face.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Joe Batley ----> Wuss
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:01 pm Joe Batley ----> Wuss
If Bristol were happy to let him leave this reinforces the probability that we have signed someone else as Batley would not have been expensive :smt016
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:01 pm Joe Batley ----> Wuss
Means Will Spencer will join Bath presumably. Would have thought if we had wanted to keep either of them we could have.

McGinty said for LTTV something about players being durable and being available for the majority of games in a season. Guessing with fitness issues, that’s one of the reasons Spencer and Thompson were let go.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Joe Batley - another good addition for Worcester ; hope he does well there.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Some decent signings for Worcester in terms of Batley & Kvesic.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Surprised we didn’t keep hold of Batley as in the few games I saw him I thought he looked like a Louis Deacon type player.
Worcester are putting together a decent pack and again with players who won’t be missing for the internationals!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:52 pm Some decent signings for Worcester in terms of Batley & Kvesic.
Batley as yet unproved, Kvesic coming to the end of his career and has been released by the best team in the country.
Steady uninspiring signings at best
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:32 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:52 pm Some decent signings for Worcester in terms of Batley & Kvesic.
Batley as yet unproved, Kvesic coming to the end of his career and has been released by the best team in the country.
Batley looked good for us, certainly better than most 23 year olds, and Kvesic is 28 so arguably in his prime.
Never believe generalisations
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Alex Goode - apparently a year in Japan:
https://www.ruck.co.uk/report-alex-good ... departure/
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BG01 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:34 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:32 pm
Batley looked good for us, certainly better than most 23 year olds, and Kvesic is 28 so arguably in his prime.
Looked good in challenge cup games very much unproven at premiership level and the powers that be obviously feel players coming in are better suited only time will tell.
Kvesic was maybe the wrong move for him with Baxter seemingly preferring 2 large flankers, and once Simmonds returned to fitness was going to be no more than a squad player.
Fair point about his age but compared to England’s back row resources he is getting on a bit 😂 and he will not be an automatic starter at Worcester with Hill and Lewis
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I thought Batley was a decent option as a project, semi proven, big unit, but is perhaps not quite what we need at this time when you look at our current options. We need another Lavanini level starter to replace Spencer, we already have Wells and Green, two experienced premiership locks as backup, and for depth there’s four U20’s with big potential, three of whom are in age grade intentional reckoning.
Kvesic would have been a decent option for us to round out our back row options.
Some decent business by Worcester on both acquisitions there.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Obviously Kvesic went to Exeter to improve his all round game and move away from just being a breakdown hog, which I think he did playing 8 for them.

Had an odd role with England. Never picked by Eddie, then last minute was the reserve backrower for the World Cup squad, completely out of the blue. Then was he injured but didn’t get a look in for this six nations.

Then now he never seems to stick around at clubs or international teams, Exeter obviously didn’t rate him over their other options. Borthwick would know everything about EPS players and we weren’t interested.
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Do we not think Worcester are going to be offering a shed load more cash for Kvesic than what Exeter would offer him? So a no brainer of a signing for Wuss?