Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Sale's signings have been quietly impressive for a few years and they're now reaping the benefit.

Aside from de Klerk and de Jager, they seem to sign a lot of players at that level just below international honours, who probably aren't commanding huge salaries.

E.g. Will Griff John; Bryn Evans; Jono Ross; the du Preez brothers; van Rensburg, Hammersley
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Akira Ioane is no longer first choice No8 at his club, maybe we could bring him to rejuvenate his career or is that hit feasible within the cap?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:23 am Akira Ioane is no longer first choice No8 at his club, maybe we could bring him to rejuvenate his career or is that hit feasible within the cap?
He's got another year on his contract and I don't think New Zealand rugby or the Blues whomever holds the contract will let him go for free a year early. That would probably make him too expensive despite how good a signing it would be.

I think Brink is likely to be the big number 8 signing. I guess the Guy Thompson injury is the spanner in the works as if he was fit the club would probably love to offer a one year deal to just offer some depth whilst the young guys come through.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Brink is more a 6/7 than an 8 I thought.
Assumed Brink would be Thompson’s replacement, with Kalamafoni still to be replaced. Caveat to that is Taufua is playing 7 for us, but equally as comfortable at 8.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:22 am Brink is more a 6/7 than an 8 I thought.
Assumed Brink would be Thompson’s replacement, with Kalamafoni still to be replaced. Caveat to that is Taufua is playing 7 for us, but equally as comfortable at 8.
I'm not an expert in South African rugby but from what I understood he played blindside (7 in SA numbering) with Whitely at 8 for a few years but recently bulked up more and has been playing 8 more last season though I think he's injured currently.

He's a big lad at 6ft 3 and nearly 18 stone. As he's supposedly been released from his contract early he should be rehabbing from his injury with us ahead of next season which should help as well.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Isekwe off to Saints for a season long loan
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 pm Isekwe off to Saints for a season long loan
With Eadie off and Brussow retired (did they ever sign a replacement?) he could be eyed up as more of an option at 6 for next season. With Lawes, Ribbans, Moon and Ratuniyarawa they have a few options at lock.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

According to the Daily Mail Sale are expected to offer Marland Yarde a new contract following his rehab and try scoring rate ~ particularly against Tigers ~ So is that another option that Jonny May was reportedly exploring by going to Sale or the near bankrupt Newcastle Falcons coming to an end ??? Come on Jonny re-sign for Tigers you know where you stand with your friends here and times are harder now that when you first pondered! :smt026
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... touch.html
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I thought I read Yarde is thinking about quitting rugby,that could be bad news for us re May!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:15 pmI thought I read Yarde is thinking about quitting rugby,
Got a link for where you read it? Might help put into context i.e. was it something said during his long injury layoff? Dark thoughts and all that. Or maybe just after he'd returned from injury and said something along the lines of "It was so bad I considered quitting" in an interview when asked about his injury timeout.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

...by all accounts Yarde on the verge of re-committing to Sale.
Perhaps good for Leicester in a roundabout sort of way a it lessens the chances of May signing for them.
Any reduction of potential options could perhaps see the offer on the table from Leicester seem more favorable - being left in limbo right now is not a good place to be.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:33 pm ...by all accounts Yarde on the verge of re-committing to Sale.
Perhaps good for Leicester in a roundabout sort of way a it lessens the chances of May signing for them.
Any reduction of potential options could perhaps see the offer on the table from Leicester seem more favorable - being left in limbo right now is not a good place to be.
Wakey ~ wakey kk20gb30 I reported this on Saturday with the Daily Mail report !! I just want Jonny May to realise that Tigers is the best place for him and sign up for 2 or 3 years please.....
Post by wormus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:03 pm

According to the Daily Mail Sale are expected to offer Marland Yarde a new contract following his rehab and try scoring rate ~ particularly against Tigers ~ So is that another option that Jonny May was reportedly exploring by going to Sale or the near bankrupt Newcastle Falcons coming to an end ??? Come on Jonny re-sign for Tigers you know where you stand with your friends here and times are harder now that when you first pondered! :smt026
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

wormus wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:36 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:33 pm ...by all accounts Yarde on the verge of re-committing to Sale.
Wakey ~ wakey kk20gb30 I reported this on Saturday with the Daily Mail report !! I just want Jonny May to realise that Tigers is the best place for him and sign up for 2 or 3 years please.....
Post by wormus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:03 pm

My apologies for the unintentional repetition..
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

According to the Mail, amongst other online publications, Owen Williams (once of this parish) and Hadleigh Parkes have agreed contracts in Japan
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Lee Blackett gets the Wasps top job and has brought in Richard Blaze as forwards coach.