Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Post by Mark62 »

TomWeston wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:09 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:59 pm I read an interesting piece earlier about the salaries of the average premiership player is around £120k a year over approximately a 10 year period, but this isn’t as much as it at first appears due to a high rate of tax....
Only £120k a year? Shocking!

And they have to pay tax on it? Doubly shocking!!

I appreciate that top level professional rugby is very tough but not all former pros suffer injuries which limit their post-rugby work opportunities. A certain former Harlequin and Australian captain reported to be taking an MBA at one of our elite universities just this week.
Yes 1 player, like there are probably not much more than a dozen ex players who make a living through the media.

Seriously there are some interesting people on here. Yes £120k is a lot of money, or as the point was made £80k after tax, yes that’s 40% for those pedants out there, and again in the article I read if they’ve any sense they will be saving half their remaining earnings so leaving them with £40k a year, which is around the same as the deputy head of a primary school.
This is the peak of their earnings remember not the average, with if they’re lucky a 10 year playing career at the top of their profession.
I agree they’re not paupers and get other benefits, free stash, free joules clothing, car leasing at preferential rates, but the point is in the sports market place they are not on mega bucks, that the premiership footballers, golfers, formula 1 drivers are on,
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think we need to get back to the topic of the thread.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:31 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:59 pm I read an interesting piece earlier about the salaries of the average premiership player is around £120k a year over approximately a 10 year period, but this isn’t as much as it at first appears due to a high rate of tax....

I appreciate that top level professional rugby is very tough but not all former pros suffer injuries which limit their post-rugby work opportunities. A certain former Harlequin and Australian captain reported to be taking an MBA at one of our elite universities just this week.
Yes 1 player, like there are probably not much more than a dozen ex players who make a living through the media.

Seriously there are some interesting people on here. Yes £120k is a lot of money, or as the point was made £80k after tax, yes that’s 40% for those pedants out there, and again in the article I read if they’ve any sense they will be saving half their remaining earnings so leaving them with £40k a year, which is around the same as the deputy head of a primary school.
This is the peak of their earnings remember not the average, with if they’re lucky a 10 year playing career at the top of their profession.
I agree they’re not paupers and get other benefits, free stash, free joules clothing, car leasing at preferential rates, but the point is in the sports market place they are not on mega bucks, that the premiership footballers, golfers, formula 1 drivers are on,
After tax and NI take home is more like £75k from £120k gross. I would hope that the players are using their prime earning years to clear a significant proportion of their mortgage and to build up some investments. You are right that it isn't the life altering money you get in other sports but £120k a year is a very comfortable level of living, whole families in this country live on significantly less. There is also opportunities to set up post playing businesses or employment as they go.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Average salary for a doctor in the UK is £41,494. You are complaining that society only values rugby players three times as much as it does doctors? :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

How much are those figures inflated by the likes of Internationals being paid 300,000 + ?
Whilst the average may be £120K a year, the average rugby player will be earning a lot less.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:22 pm

Average salary for a doctor in the UK is £41,494. You are complaining that society only values rugby players three times as much as it does doctors? :smt017
You have a link for that figure?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:33 pm

You have a link for that figure?
I just google "average salary UK" and the first result quoted the Office of National Statistics.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

You love putting words in people’s mouths. I’m not valuing anything I’m giving facts, or complaining about it.
Costs salaries etc are driven by market forces, you by being a fan are part of that market force, all be it a very small one.
From the time the game became professional it was so.

If you want to get onto the NHS then that’s a completely different conversation that doesn’t belong on a rugby forum. Also just because it says so on google it isn’t necessarily true.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:09 pm

You love putting words in people’s mouths. I’m not valuing anything I’m giving facts, or complaining about it.
Costs salaries etc are driven by market forces, you by being a fan are part of that market force, all be it a very small one.
From the time the game became professional it was so.

If you want to get onto the NHS then that’s a completely different conversation that doesn’t belong on a rugby forum. Also just because it says so on google it isn’t necessarily true.
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused what the debate is about if you're not complaining that rugby players' salaries are too low or should be higher. I must have misunderstood one of your earlier posts.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I’m not nor have ever said they are too low or too high , simply commenting on an article I had read that rugby players do not have the earning potential that many think.

It is then people getting on their high horses and saying how can they survive on that, how can they be paid so much more than doctors.
I was trying to instigate debate but in future won’t bother and just make random comments as seems to be the norm
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Ben Smith (age 33 and 84 All Black caps) and Luke Whitelock (age 28 and 6 AB caps) have finally arrived in Pau.
They didn't play in Pau's thrashing in Cardiff on Saturday but maybe there'll play in the return fixture on Friday evening.
More to the point, will they be facing Tigers on the third weekend of January?

Former British and Irish Lion (1997 South Africa where he partnered Jonno in the second row in each of the three Tests in the famous series win against the then World Champions) Jeremy Davidson(32 caps for Ireland) has signed a two-year extension to his contract as head coach of Top14 club Brive until 2023. He's had a lot of experience in France being forwards coach for Castres in the Top14 (2007-2009), forwards coach of ProD2 side Aurillac (2011-2017) and forwards coach with Top14 club Union Bordeaux/Bègles (2017-2018). Maybe one name to note for the Tigers?
Semper in excretia
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:08 pm I’m not nor have ever said they are too low or too high , simply commenting on an article I had read that rugby players do not have the earning potential that many think.

It is then people getting on their high horses and saying how can they survive on that, how can they be paid so much more than doctors.
I was trying to instigate debate but in future won’t bother and just make random comments as seems to be the norm
Ask for median salary as that is more indicative. I suspect the median is a lot lower than the average here.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sinckler to Bristol apparently very likely, they are also after two big names for loosehead and flyhalf, RIL of course reckons it’s Genge and Ford, I can’t see that happening. Not if Sinckler is coming as well.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jonny (face like a slapped erse!) Sexton may well be heading to Top14 leaders Lyon, and maybe Justin Tipuric too.
Semper in excretia
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Vastly overrated player imo :smt016
A2O