Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PaleoTiger

Re: Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Post by PaleoTiger »

Today’s rugby paper has Bath DOR helping out Yorkshire Carnegie by sending them Mike Williams to lighten their salary cap. Doesn’t feel like a good move for Mike :smt010
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wow I would feel bad for Mikey here, he hasn’t even played a game for Bath yet!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:56 am Wow I would feel bad for Mikey here, he hasn’t even played a game for Bath yet!
Has he been injured over pre season or something? Otherwise it sounds a disastrous move. If he's been fit for pre season training and the head coach has decided he doesn't need him by this point that doesn't bode well.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bristol one of three clubs to be after Kyle Sinckler.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 pm Bristol one of three clubs to be after Kyle Sinckler.
John Afoa isn't getting any younger. He's about to turn 36 and they really needed him to keep the scrum steady last season. Makes sense if they're going to throw some money around to look at Sinckler, he'd suit the Bristol style.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Northampton eyeing up Joel Kpoku and Exeter eyeing up Malins.

Would like to see us looking at both of them.
Especially Kpoku, him and Martin could be the future of English rugby locks wise.

That being said I don't see Kpoku leaving Sarries.
Malins i could see going, but don't see exeter being the right fit.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:55 pm Northampton eyeing up Joel Kpoku and Exeter eyeing up Malins.

Would like to see us looking at both of them.
Especially Kpoku, him and Martin could be the future of English rugby locks wise.

That being said I don't see Kpoku leaving Sarries.
Malins i could see going, but don't see exeter being the right fit.
Kpoku will be a coup for anybody if they can tempt him away, Malins would really suit Quins, Bristol or Gloucester best IMO
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We should really get after Kpoku, yes it's a great environment at Sarries but with the re-emergence of George Kruis it's now even more difficult for him to get game time as he is competing as well with Itoje, Skelton and Isiekwe.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:02 pm We should really get after Kpoku, yes it's a great environment at Sarries but with the re-emergence of George Kruis it's now even more difficult for him to get game time as he is competing as well with Itoje, Skelton and Isiekwe.
I suppose the issue is that Kpoku will want to go to a club where he’ll get more starts, is he going to get that at Leicester with Lavanini, Green, Spencer and Wells already in the squad.
I could see Quins and Bristol as more likely destinations if he left Sarries
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:07 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:02 pm We should really get after Kpoku, yes it's a great environment at Sarries but with the re-emergence of George Kruis it's now even more difficult for him to get game time as he is competing as well with Itoje, Skelton and Isiekwe.
I suppose the issue is that Kpoku will want to go to a club where he’ll get more starts, is he going to get that at Leicester with Lavanini, Green, Spencer and Wells already in the squad.
Bristol yes, Quins? I see your point I just agree with RB that we should go after him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:11 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:07 pm
Bristol yes, Quins? I see your point I just agree with RB that we should go after him.
No and I agree I suppose you have to look at budget and where strengthening is required.
We’ll have to spend to keep Genge next season and as good as Thompson is he is 33, and I would rather we looked at a high class open side
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Where would the money for a high class openside come from though?
As you say Genge would require a big pay increase most likely.

Hoping Reffell has a breakthrough season and overtakes Thompson as first choice with Thompson playing a more controlled game time type 7 ala smith in his final years.

We have Gough (England U20) and Eveleigh (Last years U18 captain) coming through also.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:29 pm Where would the money for a high class openside come from though?

Hoping Reffell has a breakthrough season and overtakes Thompson as first choice with Thompson playing a more controlled game time type 7 ala smith in his final years.

We have Gough (England U20) and Eveleigh (Last years U18 captain) coming through also.
I’m not sure but IMO any funds would be better spent in that direction than Kpoku, agreed about the youngsters at 7 but can’t the same be said at lock.
I suppose it’s all very early for speculation though it is October on Tuesday
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:52 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:29 pm Where would the money for a high class openside come from though?

I’m not sure but IMO any funds would be better spent in that direction than Kpoku, agreed about the youngsters at 7 but can’t the same be said at lock.
I suppose it’s all very early for speculation though it is October on Tuesday
We should be looking at hookers and possibly a blindside not locks and openside where we have depth and players of potential already. Same with Mallins, great young player but do we need a 10/15? Particularly one that wants more game time at 10 and less at 15.

TPN, Youngs and Stevens all out of contract at the end of the season. I'd expect at least 2 of 3 won't remain for next season. Kerr and Clare are under contract, Clare is at best third choice and Kerr does look very good but there's room for a quality addition.

Kalamafoni, do we stick or twist? He'll be 32 by the end of the season and has been reliably solid but doesn't set the world alight. Can we get more bang for our buck with an upgrade? That's what we should be looking at.

Genge and Ford will both need pay upgrades to fight off the interest of others.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

With Taufua, Liebenberg, Coghlan, Kalamafoni and Lewis, don’t think we’re short on blindside but I certainly take your point on hookers