Youngs injured in pub brawl

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by johnthegriff » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm

I suggest people actually read the article before commenting, the version I read stated that a Tiger's player (Bateman) was punched and that no Tigers player retaliated, it also said that glasses were thrown but not that it was our boys doing the throwing.
I remember that when Deano took over a disunited team from Bob Dwyer he organised a three legged race around the ground with a drink in each of our eleven bars along with other bonding sessions in pubs which was followed by seven major trophies in five years. We have released 19 players and replaced them with new signings, the lads need to get to know each other as mates not just work colleagues and they will do that by relaxing in each others company which may or may not involve alcohol.
This year we are playing in the lovely friendly town of Pau, on our last visit following our victory over there fans and player alike had a party in the Black Bear with players diving off the balcony trusting team mates to catch them ad Pat Howard doing a strip tease on a table in the bar, high jinks, bad behaviour maybe but we went onto win a play-off after topping the league and won the Heineken Cup.
I am all for a bit of the traditional bonding that I enjoyed when I played the game at my comparatively low level, for me this is good team management and I am looking forward to the coming season even more then before. Come on You Tigers!

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2216
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by Mark62 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm

johnthegriff wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm
I suggest people actually read the article before commenting, the version I read stated that a Tiger's player (Bateman) was punched and that no Tigers player retaliated, it also said that glasses were thrown but not that it was our boys doing the throwing.
I remember that when Deano took over a disunited team from Bob Dwyer he organised a three legged race around the ground with a drink in each of our eleven bars along with other bonding sessions in pubs which was followed by seven major trophies in five years. We have released 19 players and replaced them with new signings, the lads need to get to know each other as mates not just work colleagues and they will do that by relaxing in each others company which may or may not involve alcohol.
This year we are playing in the lovely friendly town of Pau, on our last visit following our victory over there fans and player alike had a party in the Black Bear with players diving off the balcony trusting team mates to catch them ad Pat Howard doing a strip tease on a table in the bar, high jinks, bad behaviour maybe but we went onto win a play-off after topping the league and won the Heineken Cup.
I am all for a bit of the traditional bonding that I enjoyed when I played the game at my comparatively low level, for me this is good team management and I am looking forward to the coming season even more then before. Come on You Tigers!
Well said, where’s that like button when you need it.

teds
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: london

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by teds » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 pm

johnthegriff wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm
I suggest people actually read the article before commenting, the version I read stated that a Tiger's player (Bateman) was punched and that no Tigers player retaliated, it also said that glasses were thrown but not that it was our boys doing the throwing.
I copy and paste from the version that was linked at the start of this thread...

“Once the melee moved outside, glasses were thrown by both sides. Youngs placed himself at the front of the group of players and stood with his hands outstretched as if attempting to defuse the situation, even as glasses were hitting him.”

I don’t think the Mail is an honest or reliable source of information, but this is what I read and responded to. As I said IF....

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3525
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by strawclearer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Just seen a pic of OTY - looks nasty

Update: A still taken apparently from the 'Youngs Farm Produce' Fb page. It's certainly Tom but v poor quality and undated so - pinch of salt!
Last edited by strawclearer on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4206
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by sapajo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:24 pm

How bizzare, 2 yrs ago I was in that same pub watching Tigers play on TV on a Saturday afternoon.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

Cagey Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1729
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by Cagey Tiger » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:11 pm
johnthegriff wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:01 pm
I suggest people actually read the article before commenting, the version I read stated that a Tiger's player (Bateman) was punched and that no Tigers player retaliated, it also said that glasses were thrown but not that it was our boys doing the throwing.
I remember that when Deano took over a disunited team from Bob Dwyer he organised a three legged race around the ground with a drink in each of our eleven bars along with other bonding sessions in pubs which was followed by seven major trophies in five years. We have released 19 players and replaced them with new signings, the lads need to get to know each other as mates not just work colleagues and they will do that by relaxing in each others company which may or may not involve alcohol.
This year we are playing in the lovely friendly town of Pau, on our last visit following our victory over there fans and player alike had a party in the Black Bear with players diving off the balcony trusting team mates to catch them ad Pat Howard doing a strip tease on a table in the bar, high jinks, bad behaviour maybe but we went onto win a play-off after topping the league and won the Heineken Cup.
I am all for a bit of the traditional bonding that I enjoyed when I played the game at my comparatively low level, for me this is good team management and I am looking forward to the coming season even more then before. Come on You Tigers!
Well said, where’s that like button when you need it.
Never going to happen. How many years since the current format of the forum was introduced? Just checked, a few months over 2 years. There was a fair amount of feedback, with numerous suggestions for improvement, such as a like button.

"We're busy on the app at the moment and will get back later". A load of spherical objects.
Last edited by Cagey Tiger on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wellstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by wellstiger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:14 am

Any one for a beer then ?????? :smt062

Jimmy Skitz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Thurnby Lodge

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:05 am

The coverage this got always annoys me slightly as I can imagine what would have been said and done by the press had it been the Leicester City players rather than Tigers, even if they had acted in exactly the same way

DaveRave
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by DaveRave » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 pm

Was in Vilamoura today. No sign of any badly behaved rugby players.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2384
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by BFG » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:54 pm

DaveRave wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:34 pm
Was in Vilamoura today. No sign of any badly behaved rugby players.
Strange that they find a bloke doing a few pull ups in a bar offensive and yet it's fine for some porker in budgie smugglers to do push ups right in front of you on the beach when there are miles of sand unoccupied.
It's one of Tony Blair's most favourite countries to visit, say no more!

tigertone
Tiger Cub
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by tigertone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm

What has Tony Blair got to do with it???

fentiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Wisbech

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by fentiger » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:10 pm

tigertone wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm
What has Tony Blair got to do with it???
Who knows, be fun to watch him attempt pull ups though :smt044

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2384
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by BFG » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 pm

tigertone wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:33 pm
What has Tony Blair got to do with it???
IT was just a personal thing.
I've seen far stranger and more offensive things than pull ups accepted in Portugal, Blair being one of them.

G.K
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5646
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:19 am
Location: See SatNav

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by G.K » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Tigers team get drunk then get beaten up by some Portugese bouncers? Not a good start to the season I'd say.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.

TigerBoy1880
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: Youngs injured in pub brawl

Post by TigerBoy1880 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:03 pm

G.K wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 pm
Tigers team get drunk then get beaten up by some Portugese bouncers? Not a good start to the season I'd say.
Alternatively- Tigers team had a great bonding session in Portugal and showed their togetherness. Looks promising for the new season.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], RagingBull and 2 guests