Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Ireland

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:46 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:11 pm Quite a devastating win by England. How much can we read into it?
Not sure how much we can read into it, but that was a top Ireland side, missing only really Sexton, I think it is more a worry for Ireland than an encouragement for us.
Third choice 10 and an experimental lock pairing aside that's probably the team that we'll see at the RWC. Henshaw might come in as well if fit. Very positive for England and very worrying for Ireland. Still only a warm up game, England need to keep pushing the improvements because in the cauldron of the RWC it won't be that easy.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think there is always an expectation on the home team to perform.
The away team often isn't as pumped and gets more of an opportunity to experiment in these warm ups.
England have a very strong squad that will compete well with anyone but for them it's how to unlock those tight defence's with the right plays at the right time and be clinical with very few chances in high pressure games that'll be the difference between progressing or not.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:26 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:57 am 8/10??? 😂😂😂😂😂 The writer blind? That's one of the funniest things I've ever read
His passing bar a couple of assists was awful,either to feet,head or straight into touch,his kicking for the most part was poor,one led to their try and another we just about got away with. He was trying to buy penalties again,one where he through a pass straight into a player trying to buy one and blew a chance for us. It was a shocker 2 or 3 out of 10 at the most and that's being nice,8? 🙈
He threw 3 or 4 bad passes and 2 came in succession. He tried to buy 1 penalty which was when he threw the ball at a lazy runner.

I wouldn’t give it an 8/10 but no way was it 2 or 3.
That's your opinion and i respect it. :smt023
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I watched the game and whilst Young’s wasn’t dire, it was another poor game and I felt he couldn’t maintain a good passing standard at the high tempo. What more does he have to do to be replaced as scrumhalf? Punch the ref? 😂
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:32 pm I watched the game and whilst Young’s wasn’t dire, it was another poor game and I felt he couldn’t maintain a good passing standard at the high tempo. What more does he have to do to be replaced as scrumhalf? Punch the ref? 😂
I suppose Ben Youngs’ "Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall".

He’s not been as excellent as he was but an excellent player is still in there.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I agree, he is an excellent player but not the best scrum half in England at this time, I would pick Heinz and Spencer in front him for England.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BigDan50 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm I agree, he is an excellent player but not the best scrum half in England at this time, I would pick Heinz and Spencer in front him for England.
Feel sorry for Spencer, best scrum half for me in England. Great kicking game and pass but also has improved his darting runs around the ruck.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:46 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:11 pm Quite a devastating win by England. How much can we read into it?
Not sure how much we can read into it, but that was a top Ireland side, missing only really Sexton, I think it is more a worry for Ireland than an encouragement for us.
Perhaps more importantly it sets the standard for everyone else in the England squad. No matter who the opposition is there is a need to perform at the top of you game.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

My 10 cents on Ben Youngs is that he can slow us down in set piece and mixed play plus his kicking is erratic. Yes he does see space wide and knows Ford, Faz, Manu, May all very well indeed. That being said I noticed an improvement when Willi Heinz came on vs IRE. Maybe IRE were done by then. For now I am a "trust Jones" merchant .. rightly or wrongly.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

mol2 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 am Is it another injury or the same one?

Hopefully it is just a twinge of pain which is common when returning after hamstring tears rather than a repeat injury. If it is the latter then he may not make the world cup.
A statement from England Rugby read: “Mako Vunipola has a small tear of scar tissue which will require approximately 10 days of rehabilitation.

“Ben Moon will join up with the squad as a temporary replacement to train in Treviso.”
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives