England v Ireland

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Ireland

Post by Mark62 »

Bit of a curates egg from Young’s certainly not great in some areas but 2 try scoring passes and a great ball to Manu for England’s first try.
Doesn’t take much to get the Lenny haters going
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Quite possibly one of the worse SH international performances Ive ever seen,the things he's done well are really just run of the mill 9 stuff,nothing spectacular. Hopefully he plays himself into form
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I suppose what some of the Meerkats on here forget is that due to a season ending injury Young’s has played very little rugby of late.
Still no reason not to sharpen the knives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Has Nigel got that right? I thought it was only from restarts? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I think a lot of people have forgotten that Ben has barely played since early April.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:23 pm I think a lot of people have forgotten that Ben has barely played since early April.
Add a few Irish to that! :smt005
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:23 pm I think a lot of people have forgotten that Ben has barely played since early April.
Tough to play at that tempo as well, puts a lot of pressure in the 9s passing game. England's forwards left him a little exposed at times, again if you're going to play at that high a tempo. Hopefully with a bit more pre RWC prep he'll come through.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I didn’t see the game live and have just watched it. Today showed why Manu should play 13, not 12 as he has done a few times for England. He’s so much more effective in that 13 channel. I never understood why England tried him at 12.

I think today’s starting backline should be the one that will be the main one for the World Cup.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Daly's last ditch tackling is very poor. If Watson stays fit I can see him taking the 15 shirt with Daly's flexibility getting him a bench spot.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 pm
Tough to play at that tempo as well, puts a lot of pressure in the 9s passing game. England's forwards left him a little exposed at times, again if you're going to play at that high a tempo. Hopefully with a bit more pre RWC prep he'll come through.
That is the tempo that England need to play at.
It's Sarries tempo.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I think England will do well as long as the Saracens players stay fit, they are the spine of the side, the changes I would make from yesterday's side would be Vinipola to come in at prop, Heinz at scrum half as I think Youngs had a poor game yesterday, I don't think he is the best scrum in England at this time and Watson at fullback.
If we can keep playing as we did yesterday we could do well in the World Cup.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:35 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 pm
That is the tempo that England need to play at.
It's Sarries tempo.
Sarries rarely play at that tempo for a length of time though, it's part of their brilliance. They slow the game down and then speed it up to suit themselves and their game plan. Exeter try and play this tempo but don't play this expansively they play a lot narrower with their forwards.

The interplay with the forwards and the two playmakers in the back line was exceptional. Too much for Ireland to deal with, especially having only had the one hit out against Italy.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 pm Good shift from the Tigers boys, especially Manu, great turnover just now and beast ball in hand. All except Youngs, passing hasn’t been to the man, kicking too far.

Do like Cokanasiga, but isn’t very dynamic at this level. For me Nowell or Watson on the right wing.

England have picked Ireland apart both at the breakdown and lineout time. Daly offers so much in attack from the back too.
Cokanasiga not very dynamic?! Were you watching a different game? He had a poor game in Cardiff defensively but his potential is huge and dynamic he certainly is!!

I would have a fit Nowell at 15 in my best team with May and Daly on the wings, it would be difficult to choose between Joe and Watson for the bench spot though! Watson is also a better 15 than Daly, certainly in the air and tackling. Daly has missed two one on one tackles these past three weeks.
Soggypitch
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Ben Youngs? Having only seen the highlights I can't really comment, but in the paper today

"One of his best, and not even the paucity of the oposition could devalue it 8/10"

And this from one of his usual critics. Ah well, the joys of subjective comments.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:56 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 pm Good shift from the Tigers boys, especially Manu, great turnover just now and beast ball in hand. All except Youngs, passing hasn’t been to the man, kicking too far.

Do like Cokanasiga, but isn’t very dynamic at this level. For me Nowell or Watson on the right wing.

England have picked Ireland apart both at the breakdown and lineout time. Daly offers so much in attack from the back too.
Cokanasiga not very dynamic?! Were you watching a different game? He had a poor game in Cardiff defensively but his potential is huge and dynamic he certainly is!!

I would have a fit Nowell at 15 in my best team with May and Daly on the wings, it would be difficult to choose between Joe and Watson for the bench spot though! Watson is also a better 15 than Daly, certainly in the air and tackling. Daly has missed two one on one tackles these past three weeks.
Yeah he has huge potential but dynamic he isn’t. He’s a big guy with pace, nothing else. Doesn’t have a kicking game, doesn’t have a chase game and positionally is poor. Against the good teams he’ll get targeted with them punting the ball behind him. Obviously he’s a young guy with massive potential to improve and no doubt in a few years he’ll be a starting winger, just not yet.

Daly is a weird one. Awful in defence all year, misses tackles one on one and never secure under the high ball. But how many tries has he made with his pace and handling in the wide channels. Has a good kicking game too so can see why Jones is sticking with him.