Wales 1st in the World?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Wales 1st in the World?

Post by JP14 »

Compelling game, gutsy Welsh performance who had to resort to cheating to win the game, not sure Jones is very happy with Gaüzère.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Downsouth

Re: Wales 1st in the World?

Post by Downsouth »

I hate to blame the referee but too many crucial decisions went the other way. It happens. On another day England would have won. Maybe it will do the team some good. England could and should have played better.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wales won the breakdown, legally in my view (some people on Twitter think to the contrary). I’m sorry but at National 2 Level after winning the scrum, if you responded like the Welsh pack did it would have been a penalty to the other team, targeting Sinckler like that (who responded well tbh).

Who else would have loved to have seen Martin Johnson give Moriarty a run for his money and a change of underwear?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Thoroughly frustrating - particularly in the 2nd half. Whilst I can see the merits of AW Jones as a player, he seems overly 'Whiney' as a captain always moaning to the ref. In contrast to Ford. Also, can't believe TMO didn't call the head tackle half way through 2nd half (can't remember the player now). I really don't like watching Wales play at all, even when they are against other teams than England.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought it was a load of rubbish from both sides, neither can win the World Cup playing like that in my opinion.
You could learn the Haka in the amount of time it took to complete scrums in that match.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:50 pm I thought it was a load of rubbish from both sides, neither can win the World Cup playing like that in my opinion.
You could learn the Haka in the amount of time it took to complete scrums in that match.
I thought both sides and the officials were poor to be honest. England seemed to have lost their rhythm from last weekend, maybe knowing their going to a world cup is making them cautious. Wales still looked average and I agree with the above don't play an attractive style of rugby. It's efficient but they'll be looking for some serious improvement before Japan.

England continue to experiment but what I hope Jones has taken away from these games is how much better we look with two combative flankers who will terrorise the breakdown.

Sir made several school boy errors including blocking a Youngs pass to award a penalty and then calling back the quick tap so that the penalty could be taken a foot closer to the touchline. Amateur stuff really.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Apart from two wobbles, England were still on top of Wales in the scrum, some refs could have penalised Wales on that last scrum easily.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wales taking players out past the ruck and off the ball, their props were hinging all game, and surely England should have been allowed to replace Heinz as a HIA before the game was restarted

Compelling watch but if that is the best Wales has to offer against a half and half English team I know which coach should be more worried tonight
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

helps if the ref allows an illegal try to stand and stops England from going quickly for no reason
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Close match. England dominated at start but it felt like the midfield hardly knew each other. No one was running any lines. Hopefully Jones is saving tactics until the actual World Cup.

Positives:
I thought Piers Francis played well to be fair.
Cole was immense.
George was a class above LCD
Ludlum and Lawes put in a great defensive shift.
In Ford we have our one world class fly half.

Negatives:
There were plenty, but the officiating deserves a special mention.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:03 pm Wales taking players out past the ruck and off the ball, their props were hinging all game, and surely England should have been allowed to replace Heinz as a HIA before the game was restarted

Compelling watch but if that is the best Wales has to offer against a half and half English team I know which coach should be more worried tonight
Don’t worry Mark, I’m sure the Welsh will ride their high horse as no1 and ignore the fact they were damn lucky to win tonight.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

still not sure Heinz is good enough, think Manu could do with a start, YBY too given he had shoulder surgery and missed the end of last season, after George the standard at Hooker drops a lot
johns12

Post by johns12 »

Jimmy.
Why was the try illegal?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

johns12 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:35 pm Jimmy.
Why was the try illegal?
because when you sin bin a player you have to wait for him to leave the field before restarting play, Watson was still running off as the ball flew over his head, also England's medical personnel and water carriers were still on the field, which they shouldn't have been when play restarted.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:39 pm
johns12 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:35 pm Jimmy.
Why was the try illegal?
because when you sin bin a player you have to wait for him to leave the field before restarting play, Watson was still running off as the ball flew over his head, also England's medical personnel and water carriers were still on the field, which they shouldn't have been when play restarted.
Totally agree with this. I’m pretty sure that England should have been allowed to make their HIA replacement before play was restarted too. Poor work by the whole officiating team