Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Wales 1st in the World?

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:04 am
Kjay wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:17 am Well there is now :smt001
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/world-ru ... and-match/
Does this mean the ref in the Wales V England match last weekend was well within his rights to play on quickly?
There are already too many long breaks in play, this is just adding to it.
It's allowing larger players to benefit more and more as they keep changing laws.
Scrums which should be completed in seconds are taking minutes just to set up and then minutes again to complete, line outs take an age, subs coming on is slow etc.
Everything has minutes for a breather included.
If they made them get on with it, as it should be because that's how it originally was, then these oversized players would be blowing after ten minutes, they'd need to be fitter and lighter, impacts would reduce, less HIA's etc.
Common sense!
No it doesn't, as previously stated the match was played under world cup protocols and he did not ref as per world cup reffing protocols, have a listen to the rugby podcast on Monday
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Kjay wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:17 am Well there is now :smt001
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/world-ru ... and-match/
Thank you Kjay. You should post more often.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Just seen a very different angle on this via the Rising Sons documentary they are showing on YouTube, worth a watch if you haven’t caught it.

Firstly there is no way it was a penalty let alone a yellow, Watson clearly goes for a man and ball tackle wrapping the arms and in that motion hitting the ball.
Secondly Watson and the England physios aren’t even half way off the pitch and Heinz is still receiving treatment when the game is restarted
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 pm Just seen a very different angle on this via the Rising Sons documentary they are showing on YouTube, worth a watch if you haven’t caught it.

Firstly there is no way it was a penalty let alone a yellow, Watson clearly goes for a man and ball tackle wrapping the arms and in that motion hitting the ball.
Secondly Watson and the England physios aren’t even half way off the pitch and Heinz is still receiving treatment when the game is restarted
If Watson's arm hadn't been where's it was he'd have been yellow carded for a no arms tackle.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:40 pm
Mark62 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:07 pm Just seen a very different angle on this via the Rising Sons documentary they are showing on YouTube, worth a watch if you haven’t caught it.

If Watson's arm hadn't been where's it was he'd have been yellow carded for a no arms tackle.

And the feeling I got from what I heard the ref say was that it was a deliberate attempt to block the ball disguised as a tackle.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:39 pm

And the feeling I got from what I heard the ref say was that it was a deliberate attempt to block the ball disguised as a tackle.
I believe the TMO had a lot to do with it
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Thank you for that which just goes to show what a phrase it was as if Watson had time to think right I’m going to,pretend to tackle him but really I’m going to knock the ball down.
Anyway what’s done is done
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:26 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Thank you for that which just goes to show what a phrase it was as if Watson had time to think right I’m going to,pretend to tackle him but really I’m going to knock the ball down.
Anyway what’s done is done
Not really what I said, but to clarify, he tackled the player but the tackle height was such as to try and stop the ball being passed. Nothing wrong in that but he was not quick enough to stop the pass and caught the ball while wrapping his right arm round.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Are Wales the best in the world :smt005 Say no more.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

If Wales are no 1 it shows the inconsistency of the ranking system where beating lower ranking teams or teams not fielding their first choice side elevates you up the rankings.
In my opinion based on meaningful matches should be something like:
1 New Zealand
2 South Africa
3 England
4 Australia
5 Wales
6 Ireland
7 France
8 Argentina
9 Scotland
10 Italy
Would be interested in other people’s views :smt003
A2O
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

From an ENG supporter .. what would you change in the ranking system? https://www.world.rugby/rankings/explanation as according to those rules WAL are 1st. Note that since 16th November 2018 NZ have lost to IRE and AUS, drawn with RSA, while beating ITA, ARG and AUS. As an ENG supported I would not be happy with those results, let alone NZ (who incidentally I think are still better than ENG). So NZ have lost some / a lot of the aura. WAL take some beating with that suffocating defence.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well fingers crossed the fact that Wales are currently No1 in the world will be a distant memory should the Australians turn up in Japan.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Much more interesting for now is how the warmups WAL vs IRE 31st Aug and IRE vs WAL 7th Sept turn out. I will be very brave and go for home victories in both cases. Wales should win well say 25-10 then Ireland desperately scrape through at the Aviva 13-9 ??? You could imagine an injury or two (hopefully not) that neither side can afford so close to Japan.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Shane Williams in the rugby paper banging on again about Wales being “ The fittest team in the world “. How does he draw this conclusion when Wales game plan is so lacking in dynamism that they rarely string more than 3 phases together. Would be interested to hear other views.
A2O
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jonah Holmes will be on the bench for Wales' next match against Ireland in Cardiff.
Semper in excretia