Are we still a family club.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

A few years back Tudor Thomas used to organise a " Meet the New Players " evening with a Q & A. Then it got taken over by the clubs marketing people and a small charge was made but a plate of chili and rice os something similar was included. Now I see it is an adults only cocktail evening with a £30 price tag. " Cocktails " at a rugby club, not even a mention of beer, they may as well ban front row forwards!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Are we still a family club.

Post by sapajo »

The club likes to push the spin that it is family friendly because it generates income. This latest pay to meet new players event is the latest iteration of the depths the club is now prepared to descend into in order to milk supporters for our hard earned cash. No doubt they will be selling VIP post match player meet and greet to include autograph and photo. Oh wait a minute.......
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Quite agree - the answer is to vote with our feet .
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

See there was a massive rush to buy the Club.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The game at this level have moved on.

Every other post when it comes to the business side of things seems to want how it was, but those times have gone and if you want it maybe try looking at some of the lower level local clubs.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Couldn't agree more with John's post sadly. I also remember days when mixing with players was part and parcel of the Club's ethos and without a prohibitive fee.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:03 pm The game at this level have moved on.

Every other post when it comes to the business side of things seems to want how it was, but those times have gone and if you want it maybe try looking at some of the lower level local clubs.
This post legitimately asks "are Tigers still a family club", so in essence you are saying it is not?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The only reasons it's gin and cocktails is because Tigers are sponsored by Burleigh's Gin, I'd imagine there could be a couple of bottles of the People's Captain too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:38 pm The only reasons it's gin and cocktails is because Tigers are sponsored by Burleigh's Gin, I'd imagine there could be a couple of bottles of the People's Captain too.
In which case Burleigh's should pay for it, afterall despite the meet the new players hype it's essentially promoting and flogging their gin.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

No we are a business.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Perhaps we should change family to ambush. :smt003
I'm not cynical just experienced
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I agree with the sentiment that the club/sport is slowly beginning to feel less like a family and more like a business, but then top level players didn't cost hundreds of thousands a year in the past and now they do so that money's got to come from somewhere. Myself I'm repulsed by all the tie-ins with predatory gambling sites and 'wealth management' (tax dodging) firms, but they're the ones who are willing to pony up so them's the breaks I'm afraid.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

A solid dose of the old Realpolitik there CitizenSmiff !
As Good As It Gets
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:03 pm A solid dose of the old Realpolitik there CitizenSmiff !
I'd love to seize the means of production (of tries) but they're all big hefty lads who wouldn't take kindly to forced labour!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:36 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:38 pm The only reasons it's gin and cocktails is because Tigers are sponsored by Burleigh's Gin, I'd imagine there could be a couple of bottles of the People's Captain too.
In which case Burleigh's should pay for it, afterall despite the meet the new players hype it's essentially promoting and flogging their gin.
No that’s really not how it works.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni