England WC squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: England WC squad

Post by Mark62 »

2 tight heads a risk, can only assume that Marler will move over if necessary.
Don’t think Cole, Coles is the New Zealand hooker, will be over played as I don’t think he will start that many games, and not sure of the group game schedule but there is a reasonable amount of time between games, he’ll probably have less game time than if he was back here
Ludlam deserved his call up on yesterday’s performance, Ewels very unlucky.

At 9 after a shakey start Heinz did ok. Eddie sees something there, and once he went against Care it was always going to be a toss up between him and Spencer, who is very unlucky.
As for Francis it appears Eddie has gone for the extra centre who can cover other positions, rather than the extra 10 who can cover other positions
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:12 pm This is worth the watch...

https://twitter.com/englandrugby/status ... 73952?s=21
Yes it is the shirts with the orange stripe we’re special ones done when South Leicester juniors toured Holland in 2003, and yes it is Dan being lifted in the line out he was a lot lighter in those days
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

To answer my own question there is 4 days between the Tongan and American games so Cole to start one and Sinclair the other then at least a week between matches.
I have a feeling you may not see England’s strongest team until the 4th game in v France. Having seen the Pumas scrum be destroyed by the South Africans I imagine the plan will be to pick the strongest scrummaging front 5 v Argentina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Anyone else concerned by only two scrum halves?
One injury in warm up and there is no scrum half on the bench.

Not sure the world cup is the place to be experimenting with George Ford at scum half.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:47 pm I am pretty sure I have seen Marler playing at tighthead. I too am surprised Heinz goes as one of only two 9's, not sure I agree with introducing a 32 year old at this stage it is hardly building for the future. We will never be better than the All Blacks if we select players that are only here because they are not good enough for the Kiwis.
Marler isn't a strong scrummaging loosehead so wouldn't be happy having him cover tighthead.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -cup-squad

Character as important as talent....fancy dan on the pitch (no pun intended), or liability off it, doesn't necessarily mean a good team player.

Let's hope he's got the balance of grit vs stardust right.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I think it's a well balanced squad with the correct players selected, I feel sorry for Ewels as he had a fine game yesterday but then again we are well stacked with very good second rows.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Of course be will be overplayed! We have 2 games in 5 days. Knowing he is an 80 minute player ill bet he plays the whole of one game then a big part of the other to keep Sinckler fresh. Then he will finish the other games,Sinckler like Furlong isn't an 80 minute player they tend to fall off the pace around 60.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Anyone know what the regs are for injury replacements being added to squads mid tournament?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

A World Cup squad thread that doesn’t mention Cipriani....how refreshing
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:26 pm Of course be will be overplayed! We have 2 games in 5 days. Knowing he is an 80 minute player ill bet he plays the whole of one game then a big part of the other to keep Sinckler fresh. Then he will finish the other games,Sinckler like Furlong isn't an 80 minute player they tend to fall off the pace around 60.
There you again assuming. You have no proof, it could equally go as I have suggested
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Grimlish wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:56 pm Anyone know what the regs are for injury replacements being added to squads mid tournament?
To answer my own question, this article appears to cover it - https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/201 ... guide/amp/

In short replacements are permanent so the player replaced (on medical or compassionate grounds) cannot return, and the new player cannot play for 48 hours after being named. Add to that the travel and time zone difficulties and there are powerful disincentives to calling in replacements.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It's a decent but unspectacular squad, fortunately we're on the easier side of the draw.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm Only player I’m not sure should be selected is Francis, but seems highly rated by Jones and Saints fans. Hardly like we have loads of 12s putting their hands up for selection. Devoto has been in countless camps but never picked. Te’o not wanted for discipline issues.
I thought Francis had a really good game also he can play 10
God created rugby so footballers have heros too