Wade makes an impact on 1st game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wade makes an impact on 1st game

Post by loretta »

In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Wade makes an impact on 1st game

Post by Soggypitch »

Good for him, hope he makes a big success of it!
Soggypitch
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

He's such a fun sportsman to watch. It's an often underrated quality in a player!

Good on him for taking such a big risk by trying to make the jump to gridiron. I hope he makes a success of it but if he returned to rugby I'd love to see him in a Tigers shirt.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Looks like he's become even nippier in the off season! Hope it works out, always felt he was hard done by being passed over for much worse England wingers just because of the defensive liability. He might never see his like again now that everybody is a 6ft meat machine.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Let's hope the NFL teams don't suddenly think they should all jump on the band wagon and start offering players like May silly money to switch. We will be left with a league full of players like Dan Cole and watching rugby in slow motion!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I imagine that May wearing one of those helmets would be like trying to balance a lollipop up on its stick!
Now Thorley is a different matter, he might be a useful returner or receiver.
Tom Croft, what a receiver he could've been in the NFL.
I can't believe that Wade isn't playing for England and regarding his defence I remember hearing similar concerns about Jason Robinson's size.
Instead we have players like Cockanasiga who have the reactions of a lamppost in defence, in my opinion.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:47 pm I imagine that May wearing one of those helmets would be like trying to balance a lollipop up on its stick!
Now Thorley is a different matter, he might be a useful returner or receiver.
Tom Croft, what a receiver he could've been in the NFL.
I can't believe that Wade isn't playing for England and regarding his defence I remember hearing similar concerns about Jason Robinson's size.
Instead we have players like Cockanasiga who have the reactions of a lamppost in defence, in my opinion.
"Reactions of a lamppost", love it :smt046 Just hope there's no dogs about, he could end up with wet legs!
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Good luck to him!

Here's his latest run - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/american ... l/49381366
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Bristol Tiger wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:02 pm Good luck to him!

Had a look on some of the Buffalo Bills forums out of interest and seems that their fans are unsure why he isn't getting more ball as he's averaging something like 25m a carry. If he keeps it up he could be a fan favourite before the season starts and might get more game time than expected.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

US tv should pick him up as a tv rugby pundit especially for World Cup. He needs someone helping him build his brand. A great back story.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Will S wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:41 pm Let's hope the NFL teams don't suddenly think they should all jump on the band wagon and start offering players like May silly money to switch. We will be left with a league full of players like Dan Cole and watching rugby in slow motion!
I don’t think they will. Most commentators seem sure Wade will be extremely lucky to get into the Bills’ NFL roster (of 53), and he’s a fairly unique athlete.

The bigger threat is looking more at academy aged talent (Johnson-Fisher?) and poaching them during their formative years as a rugby pro.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Bristol Tiger wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:02 pm Good luck to him!

Looks like he fluffed the touchdown there, when - like a good rugby player - he cut inside rather than going outside where his blockers would have been able to help him through.

Stunning run, though - he's clearly taking to the game, and it's perhaps a shame he didn't try out a couple of years ago. He won't have long to learn all the little details that come naturally to NFL players, and will be lucky to even spend a season on their first choice roster.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am
Will S wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:41 pm Let's hope the NFL teams don't suddenly think they should all jump on the band wagon and start offering players like May silly money to switch. We will be left with a league full of players like Dan Cole and watching rugby in slow motion!
I don’t think they will. Most commentators seem sure Wade will be extremely lucky to get into the Bills’ NFL roster (of 53), and he’s a fairly unique athlete.

The bigger threat is looking more at academy aged talent (Johnson-Fisher?) and poaching them during their formative years as a rugby pro.
Johnson Fisher, TJ, has returned to Bristol to play RU as the rumours go.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Johnson-Fisher to Bristol has been confirmed.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:24 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:15 am

Johnson Fisher, TJ, has returned to Bristol to play RU as the rumours go.
Indeed he has. That’s why I mentioned him. When did he go Stateside? 2-3 years ago? Could be knocking on the door of regular first team rugby. He was a very exciting prospect - ball in hand - but you wonder how much Rugby development he’s lost out on.