Post by JP14 »

Let’s hope they win, shame Ruaridh had to pull out with injury
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: England v Wales

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:56 am Let’s hope they win, shame Ruaridh had to pull out with injury
Losing Underhill from the forwards was a blow but the adjustments to the backs have helped out the balance. The original line up left Ford with very little strike options now with Joseph running options flat to the gain line and the demolition option of Cockanasiga we should cause more problems. Especially as it's pretty much Wales first choice back line.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

And I agree fully Sam, that backline does now have more options in attack I was just saying it was a shame for Ruaridh because he’s a terrific player and deserved the cap. As does Marchant on the bench really hope he comes on.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:48 pm And I agree fully Sam, that backline does now have more options in attack I was just saying it was a shame for Ruaridh because he’s a terrific player and deserved the cap. As does Marchant on the bench really hope he comes on.
Agreed. The idea of a Manu/Marchant second half centre combination is pretty good though. Get Ford attacking the gain line with those two and then the back three looking for work should grab some tries if they get ball from the forwards.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good game from Ford and Genge and what about this from Manu...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1B5qHbHZoE ... 1ochbn0400
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I reckon Eddie will be disappointed with Ellis giving away pens needlessly, again. His was one of the pens in the sequence that gifted Wales a try that brought them back into contention - and it wasn't the first or only one. Add to that a complete failure to tackle at one of the Welsh breaks in a manner reminiscent of Tigers last term and the fact he looked out on his feet by the end (which I would concede was in part because Ellis gave his all).

I'd say Eddie would struggle to give him much more than 6/10, which could just be good news for us - although my guess is he'll be in the squad announced tomorrow all the same.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 pm I reckon Eddie will be disappointed with Ellis giving away pens needlessly, again. His was one of the pens in the sequence that gifted Wales a try that brought them back into contention - and it wasn't the first or only one. Add to that a complete failure to tackle at one of the Welsh breaks in a manner reminiscent of Tigers last term and the fact he looked out on his feet by the end (which I would concede was in part because Ellis gave his all).

I'd say Eddie would struggle to give him much more than 6/10, which could just be good news for us - although my guess is he'll be in the squad announced tomorrow all the same.
And yet when asked for his man of the match Jones said he would give it to the scrum which was primarily down to Ellis doing a job on both the Welsh tightheads.
First penalty against him was his reaction to his opposite number dangerously dropping his bind which I think most would have annoyed most
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 pm I reckon Eddie will be disappointed with Ellis giving away pens needlessly, again. His was one of the pens in the sequence that gifted Wales a try that brought them back into contention - and it wasn't the first or only one. Add to that a complete failure to tackle at one of the Welsh breaks in a manner reminiscent of Tigers last term and the fact he looked out on his feet by the end (which I would concede was in part because Ellis gave his all).

Not many international props go for 80 minutes. I think Eddie would have been impressed that he was still going at the end. Not Genge's best display but as the English pack did a job in what is expected to be Wales first choice pack come the start of the RWC Eddie will be pleased. End of the day you want your prop to win the scrum battle and throw their weight around and Genge did both of those things. He might find himself third choice along with Cole but I suspect Eddie will take 6 props.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought the Leicester starters did alright and the scrum in particular made a real difference.
England were left floundering a bit in defence for the Davies try.
Cockanasiga got stood up in defence once again closing off the invisible man.
I've no idea what any of it means though as likely others such as Sinckler and Farrell will parachute straight in.
Wales looked a bit undercooked and probably need these international build up fixtures more given that England are used to getting ready for Premiership battle, wonder how much top level competitive rugby some of them have had since the 6N!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

All 6 Tigers in the 31.

Only 2 scrum halves and 2 tight heads, risky!

Feel particularly sorry for Spencer.
Soggypitch
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Will Greenwood has done a player by player breakdown in the DT. He says of Ford;

"George Ford (Fly half, Leicester Tigers, 56 caps)

Had an indifferent season at Leicester but if England need someone to make flat passes on the gainline then he’s your man. I’d like to see his goal kicking improve by five per cent. "

Will obviously did not spend much time watching our George last season. He was outstanding in a poor team and his goal kicking second to none!!
Soggypitch
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Thought Ford was great yesterday. Definitely more expansive than Faz. Faz does the tactical kicking slightly better but Ford creates space and plays the gain line better. Faz stays at 10 for me but ENG could easily mix it up with Ford to 10 and Faz to 12 or substituted.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Having just watched the full highlights on BBC 2, I was thoroughly impressed by Genge’s and Cowan-Dickie’s performances, nice to see some of the old Antony Watson too.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:59 pm Having just watched the full highlights on BBC 2, I was thoroughly impressed by Genge’s and Cowan-Dickie’s performances, nice to see some of the old Antony Watson too.
Agreed about Watson, those that were saying he would have lost some pace seem to have got it wrong. Same could be said for Joseph
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I thought Genge tackled his heart out. Needs to sort out his handling skills but that should come as they sharpen up with more game time.