Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: When the world cup is done and dusted

Post by fleabane »

“without the distraction of the W.C.”

What goes on in there we don’t know about then, Dangerous4?
Valhalla I am coming!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:11 pm I blame Dewy Morris 😂
:smt005 Why not? He will do.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:11 pm I blame Dewy Morris 😂
:smt005 Why not? He will do.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:03 am
CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:10 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:58 pm Amazes me how highly some people rate players that they have probably not seen play, even on television. It will be some time after the end of our guys participation in the World Cup that we will see them available for first team action. by then we will have informed opinions about some of the new lads. It all looks very exciting, role on the start of the season.
A lot of us do watch the Super 15 because why wouldn't you, it's like the prem turned up to about 200%.

I certainly haven't.
But how many have watched any of the Pro D2 games that Letiagaga has played to pass any opinion on him at all, let alone offer an opinion on which side of the scrum he is better at or if he is better than any of our current props?

I reckon we view him as a tighthead based on what I know of the other players but if he is better than Cortes or Heyes is a mystery at the moment because I've not seen him play and I seriously doubt anyone on here has seen him play.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:10 am
We are mostly making the same assumption on which side he will play. There's some highlights reels which show his carrying and I don't see that we would have pursued a player for two seasons if we didn't envisage him being a key part of the squad. As Cortes is very limited (set piece and that's about your lot) and Heyes is very raw but with masses of potential it is fair to assume Leitagaga has been brought in as Cole's understudy. We might be wrong but then again players who we have seen play plenty elsewhere might not adapt to the team or environment as expected so our assumptions about them may also be wrong.

A lot of it will be speculation for at least a couple more months.
Highlights are not the best though. They whet the appetite on new players but by their nature gloss over the bad things, once players are here we judge them far more by their negatives than their positives. Particularly if their negatives are poor fitness, durability or defensive discpline things which are never in highlights.

I understand what you mean by "pursued for two seasons" but feel that is something of a misnomer, we signed him last summer. This was in several reputable French papers and his agent was reported to the French licensing authorities over it. Prior to that I would be dubious if we chased him for long, he had only been at Biarritz for one season and was playing club rugby in Auckland prior to Jan 2017. I would describe that more as moving early and decisively. Which would suggest we've got him on a decent deal and we feel he could have a high potential.

But when so many people are saying he will be in our best 23 as soon as October I find that a bit odd. He was practically a unanimous selection on the first page! I like Heyes and hope he's still receiving the nod in October unless Leatigaga comes over and really sets the house on fire straight away!
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:45 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:10 am
We are mostly making the same assumption on which side he will play. There's some highlights reels which show his carrying and I don't see that we would have pursued a player for two seasons if we didn't envisage him being a key part of the squad. As Cortes is very limited (set piece and that's about your lot) and Heyes is very raw but with masses of potential it is fair to assume Leitagaga has been brought in as Cole's understudy. We might be wrong but then again players who we have seen play plenty elsewhere might not adapt to the team or environment as expected so our assumptions about them may also be wrong.

A lot of it will be speculation for at least a couple more months.
Highlights are not the best though. They whet the appetite on new players but by their nature gloss over the bad things, once players are here we judge them far more by their negatives than their positives. Particularly if their negatives are poor fitness, durability or defensive discpline things which are never in highlights.

I understand what you mean by "pursued for two seasons" but feel that is something of a misnomer, we signed him last summer. This was in several reputable French papers and his agent was reported to the French licensing authorities over it. Prior to that I would be dubious if we chased him for long, he had only been at Biarritz for one season and was playing club rugby in Auckland prior to Jan 2017. I would describe that more as moving early and decisively. Which would suggest we've got him on a decent deal and we feel he could have a high potential.

But when so many people are saying he will be in our best 23 as soon as October I find that a bit odd. He was practically a unanimous selection on the first page! I like Heyes and hope he's still receiving the nod in October unless Leatigaga comes over and really sets the house on fire straight away!
I'm a big fan of Heyes as well and I want him around in a Tigers shirt for the next decade and some. I don't want to see a young prop continually thrust into senior rugby I want to see him rotated in and out of the team so that he can grow into his role and develop physically so that he's up to the challenge long term. We should be looking to get Heyes a good number of appearances again and with Cole a) still in and around the England setup and b) not getting any younger there should be opportunities. We need to be clever in how we rotate our pack this season so that we keep people fresh after what will be a very long season for those that are coming from the RWC and Super Rugby.

Personally I advocated Leitagaga off the bench because he looks a Mulipola esque monster and unleashing both him and Bateman with twenty minutes to go against tiring defences should give us great carrying options in the final quarter so we have go forward if chasing a win or TBP/LBP.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:36 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:49 pm Without injuries I'm hoping something like below develops into the full strength side.

1.Genge 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Spencer 6.Taufua 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.May 12.Reid 13.Tuilagi 14.Holmes 15.Veainu

16.Polota-Nau 17.Bateman 18.Heyes 19.Green 20.Reffell 21.Simmons 22.Hardwick 23.Taute

I think Reffell is a huge talent and natural leader that the pack needs. Here's hoping the Reid can perform a similar role to Anthony Allen.

For the start of the season PRC games however:

1.Bateman 2.Kerr 3.Heyes 4.Wells 5.Green 6.Reffell 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.Simmons 10.Hardwick 11.Aspland-Robinson 12.Reid 13.Taute 14.Viljeon 15.Worth

16.Youngs 17.Gigena 18.Cortes 19.Jordan 20.Coghlan 21.White 22.McPhillips 23.Eastmond

Good blend of youth and experience. Thompson would be my pick as skipper for the PRC games. If there were injuries in the back three (beyond my presumption that Olowofela and Thompstone may still being out injured) then I'd happily see Freddie Steward in the PRC this year.
So if all are fit you are not thinking Dave Denton could do a job at all?
Sadly, yet to hear anything to suggest that Denton has returned to contact training.

He commented in April that he was optimistically hoping to play 6 or so games this season and 20 games over the next two. I sincerely hope he manages it but his continuing struggles with concussive symptoms when undergoing return-to-play protocols aren't encouraging.

Tigers being in the market for Roelof Smit would also suggest they were looking at replacement for him, as I struggle to see how they could fit both in the cap. Were Denton not to play a game this season he could remain on the Tigers payroll, and medical care, without his wage coming under the cap though.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:39 pm

I'm a big fan of Heyes as well and I want him around in a Tigers shirt for the next decade and some. I don't want to see a young prop continually thrust into senior rugby I want to see him rotated in and out of the team so that he can grow into his role and develop physically so that he's up to the challenge long term. We should be looking to get Heyes a good number of appearances again and with Cole a) still in and around the England setup and b) not getting any younger there should be opportunities. We need to be clever in how we rotate our pack this season so that we keep people fresh after what will be a very long season for those that are coming from the RWC and Super Rugby.

Personally I advocated Leitagaga off the bench because he looks a Mulipola esque monster and unleashing both him and Bateman with twenty minutes to go against tiring defences should give us great carrying options in the final quarter so we have go forward if chasing a win or TBP/LBP.
Yes, fingers crossed one of the big themes of Pat Howard's mentoring is how to plan and rotate throughout the season. It was one of his biggest strengths and has been one of our biggest weaknesses through the last probably 7 or 8 years.

In effect we've between 64 & 78 "slots" to fill this season in the position. That's two tightheads for each match day squads and our season will run between 32 and 39 matches depending upon progress in the cups.

I'd like to see Heyes take somewhere around 20 of them in one way or the other. From your comment I'd guess you're the same. Cole should take 22* of those slots without an issue, he has done for neigh on a decade now, which leaves between 22 & 36 appearances for Leitagaga, Cortes plus probably Dimen for one or two too.

*22 used to be the cap for club appearances, I think it might be higher depending on if he is selected for the 6N and how often he actually plays in the RWC.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Does anyone know if Kalamafoni or Veainu are going to the World Cup?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:58 pm Does anyone know if Kalamafoni or Veainu are going to the World Cup?
Veainu has put on his Instagram pictures of him being in Tonga and captioned it wouldn’t be until October when he next saw his daughter, so assume he is. Unsure on Kalamafoni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don't believe the Tongan squad has been picked yet
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 4 »

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... -this-week

Sounds, unsurprisingly, like Kalamafoni and Veainu will be in the Tonga squad.
Toutai Kefu said the trio are all close to a return and will be included in the final squad for Japan if they can prove their fitness.

Sione Kalamafoni and Nasi they're high quality players. I'd presume they'd probably make the [World Cup] squad...so (along with Telusa) they would all make the squad
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Congrats Kalamafoni and Veainu!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

So our first premiership games are Worcester (a), Saracens (h) and Gloucester (h). Even with our international call ups we’ll still be able to put out a pretty strong team. Looks like we’ll sadly be missing Denton but still.

Bateman Youngs Cortes
Spencer Green
Reffell Thompson
Liebenberg
Simmons McPhillips
Reid Taute
Holmes Worth Viljoen

Gigena TPN Heyes Wells Coghlan White Eastmond Thomas

With Worcester being our bogey team and Saracens missing their internationals, two wins up front would be a great start to the season.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

When the World Cup is done and dusted, will Steve Borthwick be part of the Tigers setup?

See today’s Times!
Valhalla I am coming!