When the world cup is done and dusted

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: When the world cup is done and dusted

Post by Robespierre »

Possibly, but in what capacity? Can’t see him being content with coaching the forwards. Pure speculation on my part but head coach maybe with Murphy as DoR?
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am Possibly, but in what capacity? Can’t see him being content with coaching the forwards. Pure speculation on my part but head coach maybe with Murphy as DoR?
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am Possibly, but in what capacity? Can’t see him being content with coaching the forwards. Pure speculation on my part but head coach maybe with Murphy as DoR?
I think we’ll have a Head Coach and a DoR. The fact even a major newspaper’s journalists don’t know which way round it’ll be is telling.

I think though that it would more likely be Geordan as DoR and figurehead with the vastly more experienced coach Borthwick in charge of the day to day coaching set up.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It will be next season most likely...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm It will be next season most likely...
Essentially yes.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="sk 88" post_id=722562 time=1565188184 user_id=1793]
[quote=sam16111986 post_id=722547 time=1565120341 user_id=6978]

I'm a big fan of Heyes as well and I want him around in a Tigers shirt for the next decade and some. I don't want to see a young prop continually thrust into senior rugby I want to see him rotated in and out of the team so that he can grow into his role and develop physically so that he's up to the challenge long term. We should be looking to get Heyes a good number of appearances again and with Cole a) still in and around the England setup and b) not getting any younger there should be opportunities. We need to be clever in how we rotate our pack this season so that we keep people fresh after what will be a very long season for those that are coming from the RWC and Super Rugby.

Personally I advocated Leitagaga off the bench because he looks a Mulipola esque monster and unleashing both him and Bateman with twenty minutes to go against tiring defences should give us great carrying options in the final quarter so we have go forward if chasing a win or TBP/LBP.
[/quote]

Yes, fingers crossed one of the big themes of Pat Howard's mentoring is how to plan and rotate throughout the season. It was one of his biggest strengths and has been one of our biggest weaknesses through the last probably 7 or 8 years.

In effect we've between 64 & 78 "slots" to fill this season in the position. That's two tightheads for each match day squads and our season will run between 32 and 39 matches depending upon progress in the cups.

I'd like to see Heyes take somewhere around 20 of them in one way or the other. From your comment I'd guess you're the same. Cole should take 22* of those slots without an issue, he has done for neigh on a decade now, which leaves between 22 & 36 appearances for Leitagaga, Cortes plus probably Dimen for one or two too.

*22 used to be the cap for club appearances, I think it might be higher depending on if he is selected for the 6N and how often he actually plays in the RWC.
[/quote]

Your final point could be critical, especially as England seem to be relying on just two tight heads. That will mean a lot of game time for Dan with no rest and even if he comes back uninjured, he will need a big rest period afterwards. Players returning from World Cup competition are often completely knackered for the rest of the season, and I fear for Dan. For that reason, I think the other Tiger tight heads will need to take up more game time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Heyes is looking lean too and now possesses a rather neat moustache.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni