When the world cup is done and dusted

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: When the world cup is done and dusted

Post by johnthegriff »

Amazes me how highly some people rate players that they have probably not seen play, even on television. It will be some time after the end of our guys participation in the World Cup that we will see them available for first team action. by then we will have informed opinions about some of the new lads. It all looks very exciting, role on the start of the season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I believe in a couple of games Kalamafoni has finished at lock, or was that Mapapalangi?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It is my humble opinion, that the time to judge Tigers ability, will be the season after next, when our players will have the benefit of a full season, without the distraction of the W.C. We should not be too critical over bad results, and we must give players time to gel.

Looking ahead, I feel hopeful that we shall see some positives, and could get a top six place. :smt023
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:58 pm Amazes me how highly some people rate players that they have probably not seen play, even on television. It will be some time after the end of our guys participation in the World Cup that we will see them available for first team action. by then we will have informed opinions about some of the new lads. It all looks very exciting, role on the start of the season.
A lot of us do watch the Super 15 because why wouldn't you, it's like the prem turned up to about 200%.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:10 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:58 pm Amazes me how highly some people rate players that they have probably not seen play, even on television. It will be some time after the end of our guys participation in the World Cup that we will see them available for first team action. by then we will have informed opinions about some of the new lads. It all looks very exciting, role on the start of the season.
A lot of us do watch the Super 15 because why wouldn't you, it's like the prem turned up to about 200%.
If reffed to the Laws about 101% max. Offside a movable feast......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

There was a time where forward passes and the offside line didn't count in SR but the reffing this season has been a million times better than the GP,not even close! Some of the domestic reffing has been abysmal!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Even so Scott in all leagues, the inside ball which is almost always forward is left unchecked.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I blame Dewy Morris 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:40 am There was a time where forward passes and the offside line didn't count in SR but the reffing this season has been a million times better than the GP,not even close! Some of the domestic reffing has been abysmal!
The standard of reffing here is abysmal in general, hilarious in the Pro14 but slightly better in SR. However IMO none of it reaches acceptable due to the 'need to entertain'.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:25 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:40 am There was a time where forward passes and the offside line didn't count in SR but the reffing this season has been a million times better than the GP,not even close! Some of the domestic reffing has been abysmal!
The standard of reffing here is abysmal in general, hilarious in the Pro14 but slightly better in SR. However IMO none of it reaches acceptable due to the 'need to entertain'.
Can't imagine you'd be unhappy with the reffing John! You've never mentioned it before :smt002
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

But how many have watched any of the Pro D2 games that Letiagaga has played to pass any opinion on him at all, let alone offer an opinion on which side of the scrum he is better at or if he is better than any of our current props?

I reckon we view him as a tighthead based on what I know of the other players but if he is better than Cortes or Heyes is a mystery at the moment because I've not seen him play and I seriously doubt anyone on here has seen him play.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:03 am
But how many have watched any of the Pro D2 games that Letiagaga has played to pass any opinion on him at all, let alone offer an opinion on which side of the scrum he is better at or if he is better than any of our current props?

I reckon we view him as a tighthead based on what I know of the other players but if he is better than Cortes or Heyes is a mystery at the moment because I've not seen him play and I seriously doubt anyone on here has seen him play.
We are mostly making the same assumption on which side he will play. There's some highlights reels which show his carrying and I don't see that we would have pursued a player for two seasons if we didn't envisage him being a key part of the squad. As Cortes is very limited (set piece and that's about your lot) and Heyes is very raw but with masses of potential it is fair to assume Leitagaga has been brought in as Cole's understudy. We might be wrong but then again players who we have seen play plenty elsewhere might not adapt to the team or environment as expected so our assumptions about them may also be wrong.

A lot of it will be speculation for at least a couple more months.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:33 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:25 pm
Can't imagine you'd be unhappy with the reffing John! You've never mentioned it before :smt002
Hyperbole on your behalf Sir, no more than 20 incidents per game, surely? :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Without injuries I'm hoping something like below develops into the full strength side.

1.Genge 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Spencer 6.Taufua 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.May 12.Reid 13.Tuilagi 14.Holmes 15.Veainu

16.Polota-Nau 17.Bateman 18.Heyes 19.Green 20.Reffell 21.Simmons 22.Hardwick 23.Taute

I think Reffell is a huge talent and natural leader that the pack needs. Here's hoping the Reid can perform a similar role to Anthony Allen.

For the start of the season PRC games however:

1.Bateman 2.Kerr 3.Heyes 4.Wells 5.Green 6.Reffell 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.Simmons 10.Hardwick 11.Aspland-Robinson 12.Reid 13.Taute 14.Viljeon 15.Worth

16.Youngs 17.Gigena 18.Cortes 19.Jordan 20.Coghlan 21.White 22.McPhillips 23.Eastmond

Good blend of youth and experience. Thompson would be my pick as skipper for the PRC games. If there were injuries in the back three (beyond my presumption that Olowofela and Thompstone may still being out injured) then I'd happily see Freddie Steward in the PRC this year.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ABClub wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:49 pm Without injuries I'm hoping something like below develops into the full strength side.

1.Genge 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Spencer 6.Taufua 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.May 12.Reid 13.Tuilagi 14.Holmes 15.Veainu

16.Polota-Nau 17.Bateman 18.Heyes 19.Green 20.Reffell 21.Simmons 22.Hardwick 23.Taute

I think Reffell is a huge talent and natural leader that the pack needs. Here's hoping the Reid can perform a similar role to Anthony Allen.

For the start of the season PRC games however:

1.Bateman 2.Kerr 3.Heyes 4.Wells 5.Green 6.Reffell 7.Thompson 8.Liebenberg
9.Simmons 10.Hardwick 11.Aspland-Robinson 12.Reid 13.Taute 14.Viljeon 15.Worth

16.Youngs 17.Gigena 18.Cortes 19.Jordan 20.Coghlan 21.White 22.McPhillips 23.Eastmond

Good blend of youth and experience. Thompson would be my pick as skipper for the PRC games. If there were injuries in the back three (beyond my presumption that Olowofela and Thompstone may still being out injured) then I'd happily see Freddie Steward in the PRC this year.
So if all are fit you are not thinking Dave Denton could do a job at all?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too