Ford in The Mail today

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford in The Mail today

Post by fleabane »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 am Reading that it makes you wonder if I've been too harsh on the coaching set up. If people are happy to lose by that much they aren't going to care if the coach tells them to change something.
This sounds as though you absolve the coaches from setting standards, or of dealing with these kinds of attitude.

The players response stinks, but the inability or unwillingness of the coaches to set standards to be met by the players who became responsible a) for the attitude and b) for their response to GF, shows a lack of experience, leadership and effective management.
Valhalla I am coming!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I hear Ford (and Farrell) hold a great degree of power in the England setup. They pretty much run the backs coaching. He's a stronger presence than many realise, I think.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

fleabane wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:34 pm
TTRITH wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 am Reading that it makes you wonder if I've been too harsh on the coaching set up. If people are happy to lose by that much they aren't going to care if the coach tells them to change something.
This sounds as though you absolve the coaches from setting standards, or of dealing with these kinds of attitude.

The players response stinks, but the inability or unwillingness of the coaches to set standards to be met by the players who became responsible a) for the attitude and b) for their response to GF, shows a lack of experience, leadership and effective management.
Not necessarily. You can only manage people if you have some power over them. In most cases, it's the power to hire and fire. If the players knew that they were already on the way out, there's not a lot you can do about their attitude. Dropping them is about all and if your resources are thin, you have to grin and bear it.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Cagey, I can’t agree with your management style, but don’t want to have a debate here.

My point is that the problems should not have been allowed to develop. What were Murphy and the playing committee doing? Apparently very little!
Valhalla I am coming!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fleabane wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:19 pm Cagey, I can’t agree with your management style, but don’t want to have a debate here.

My point is that the problems should not have been allowed to develop. What were Murphy and the playing committee doing? Apparently very little!
I suspect without any power to act simply waiting for this moment!
Since the undermining of Cockerill a couple of years before he was sacked no coach has had any power to do a proper job.
Let's hope it lasts long enough into what can often be an unsettling World Cup club season to at least bear some fruit.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

fleabane wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:19 pm Cagey, I can’t agree with your management style, but don’t want to have a debate here.

My point is that sometimes you have no control over what develops. Whether that is true here, I don't know. Unless you do know the exact situation, stating categorically that the management could and should have done something about it is making assumptions that may not be true.

As an example, a company I worked for had a crackdown on people being more than 10 minutes late. The reception staff recorded "offenders". One of the middle managers was late and saw that his name had been taken down. He was retiring in about 6 weeks and he spent the next half hour or so gleefully going round to his peers telling them about it. His parting comment was "What are they going to do, :censored: sack me?".