Ford in The Mail today

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ford in The Mail today

Post by Ian Cant »

The last part of the interview sums up everything that was wrong last season. Briefly, Ford said when everyone came into training after the home defeat by Exeter some players acted as though they’d won by 50 points: Ford says he gave a sh-t reaction to that attitude and again, some players questioned what was wrong with him.
Well done George and I hope Murphy has made it clear to everyone that defeat in an game is unacceptable.
In my opinion Ford has to be made captain with Tom Youngs as vice captain.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford in The Mail today

Post by sam16111986 »

"For Ford, the campaign comes on the back of a horrible domestic season with Leicester Tigers, in which they finished one spot off the bottom of the Premiership. He was leading points scorer for the division but found himself ‘losing my s***’ on occasion.

‘We lost in April at home against Exeter, 52-20. I came in on Monday for training and for a few it was like we had won with 50 rather than lost with 50. I couldn’t hold it in. I lost my s*** for 30 seconds and everyone is like, “What’s the matter with him?”’ By March Ford’s father was drafted in to help improve the coaching set-up."

Full article https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... mself.html

He's admitted previously to being a bit of a perfectionist. Rhys Priestland said his return to form after Ford left Bath was down to what he learnt about match day preparation from George. I hope the young lads out of the academy are using him as an example, set standards high and work hard until you achieve it.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

100% got to be Captain. Many say we should make Tom 'Club Captain' with George 'Playing Captain'. Imho that would inevitably detract from George's authority. One Captain - George Ford.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Disappointing to read that after that scale of defeat some players were unfazed, hopefully they have been shown the door.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Not surprised by that at all, it was clear some players didn't care last season. Hopefully those people are gone and the newcomers aren't so happy to be losers.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Reading that it makes you wonder if I've been too harsh on the coaching set up. If people are happy to lose by that much they aren't going to care if the coach tells them to change something.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 am Reading that it makes you wonder if I've been too harsh on the coaching set up. If people are happy to lose by that much they aren't going to care if the coach tells them to change something.
Makes the summer clear out seem all the better. Those that are happy to live off of former glories are not required. Now Murphy has a pre season and a settled coaching team I will be expecting more from him, last season was a write off which I don't think many could have diverted after it started.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:00 am
TTRITH wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 am Reading that it makes you wonder if I've been too harsh on the coaching set up. If people are happy to lose by that much they aren't going to care if the coach tells them to change something.
Makes the summer clear out seem all the better. Those that are happy to live off of former glories are not required. Now Murphy has a pre season and a settled coaching team I will be expecting more from him, last season was a write off which I don't think many could have diverted after it started.
I think there's a new attitude.....

If you want a great history - get out there and create it!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I like Tom Youngs and he gives it all when playing. I also feel that Ford should be made Captain, this could let TY relax and enjoy his game more. :smt023

Also agree that( and said over previous seasons) some players were not worthy of the Tiger shirt.- I hope that is an end to it.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The attitude of the team stank last season.
It was clear on the pitch that at times it didn't seem to be too much of a concern that they lost for some of them.

That is an attitude that cannot be permitted.

Players that don't want to give their all should be nowhere near a Tigers squad.

If you have a coach who is too close to senior players this is a difficult one to address if some of those senior players are the ones that need dropping or a kick up the proverbials. Again the captain has to be able to distance himself to support the coach.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

What a disgraceful attitude, and yes I hope all those players have had the boot. Just what has happened to the pride of pulling on a Tiger's shirt? :smt017
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

In every team, in every club, at every level and in all sports - there are those who contribute with 'positive energy' and those who are a drain on the team psyche. I've never played professional sport but I've no doubt it's the same at the elite level - and it'll be the same at Tigers.

To those players who are in the negative category, I'd suggest you find a pond and chuck a stone in. The extent and duration of the hole it makes should give you a pretty fair indication of how much we'll miss you when you go.

And 'go' you will.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

I have played sport at a professional level and anyone who jokes and laughs after they have been stuffed needs kicking out on the spot.
In the olden days they would have been beaten up in the dressing room.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

The 64000 $ question is-----------have all the ones that laughed and joked been cleared out ??????
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Let’s hope so!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni