Ground development

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ground development

Post by loretta »

IIRC, the reports were that ground breaking for the new hotel would happen in the close season, but I pass the ground regularly and the "Granby halls" car park is still in action.

Is my memory failing - again?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ground development

Post by loretta »

Found it on the club site "The exchange between the two parties now means that subject to Leicester City Council planning approval, work can begin on the £22 million pound project in summer of 2019."

I'd have thought things would be underway by now.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

So, happens when the club is sold? Who will own it, and under what circumstances? Obviously it is not included under the sale terms, and therefore must be a separate entity.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Is the car park not owned by Leicester Football Club plc or on of its subsidiaries? If so and the purchase is of that entity then I would expect it to be included in the sale. Could explain why no work has started whilst a buyer is sought.
I'm not cynical just experienced
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The Granby hall site is owned by Leicester City Council with Tigers (Leicester Football Club) the preferred bidder unless of course the purchase has been secured.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Thanks jtg
I'm not cynical just experienced
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Simon Cohen told the Mercury on 29th June this year when discussing the sale of the club that the hotel plans were unaffected by the proposal. At the time that the plans were given permission and Marshall CDP were announced as partners (ie November last year) the plans were for a start this summer and the impression was given that the Marshall deal had been finalised. The sale of the site to Tigers by the City Council when announced earlier than that was described as conditional but was actioning a previous agreement the Council had approved. If its not the sale it could be other political/economic forces are causing caution on timing. Can anyone imagine what those forces might be?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I'm perplexed. Something Mr Cohen is associated with not going to plan or in line with previous press announcements.

I eagerly await the press release from our omnipotent CEO Mr Cohen, probably something along the following lines:

"As CEO I want to make it clear that along with the quality of catering, the performance on team on the pitch, the quality of the playing kit, the recruitment of players and coaches, the sale of programmes, the mess in the sales office, the hotel and car park projects are matters for which I have absolutely no responsibility, unless it goes well and then I will claim credit. I hope that has clarified my role. Now could I please have my annual salary of £200,000+ plus bonus."
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

In my experience of builders, work actually begins a month, or two, or three later than the date you think. The summer date will be the 'taking possession of the site'.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

JWM wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:35 am In my experience of builders, work actually begins a month, or two, or three later than the date you think. The summer date will be the 'taking possession of the site'.
Same, the first six weeks is always one lad going around stringing up tape everywhere and spray painting various inscrutable symbols on the floor.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Then, once the job actually gets under way, they'll bog off for a month to start someone else's job.
At least that won't be Wasp's training facility.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Detailed planning permission has not yet been granted for the hotel on the Granby Halls site, it was granted last month for the multistory on the current Crumbie site.

I am not sure if they are still waiting to do both at the same time or not. If they are this may well be the delay.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/ ... o=20182331

Planning documents for the car park.

http://rcweb.leicester.gov.uk/planning/ ... o=20182477

Planning documents for the hotel.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

As you can see from the links the last amended plans were submitted to LCC on 12th June.

I don't know how often they have meetings but the final date has not yet been set so it will be at least August.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

sk 88 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:43 pm As you can see from the links the last amended plans were submitted to LCC on 12th June.

I don't know how often they have meetings but the final date has not yet been set so it will be at least August.
If these are just about submitting a final set of plans to show compliance with previous planning decisions it’s possible they can be dealt with under officers delegated powers - or not if they are deemed too sensitive to handle that way. Progress of a sort is being made but it don’t half seem slow...