Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

CVC Kite-flying?

Post by Grimlish »

Is this a runner?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... w-16621172

Would destabilise the European competitions and possibly the French too. Would find no favour in Italy, or South Africa and perhaps too in Ireland (but they wouldn’t want to be left high and dry and would have some negotiating power). Could create a new dynamic for the Six nations whether CVC are partners for that or not. Can see the sense of it in theoretical terms but practically? It’s never happened in footie...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: CVC Kite-flying?

Post by Scott1 »

Horrible idea!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sort out the Welsh game by all means but don’t do it by muddling our own game.

A big no from me.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

I assume this this is being mooted by everyone not in the Premiership. All gain for Pro 14, all loss for us
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

So how many teams would we expect in a national league? Welsh and Irish sides and how many from the premiership. If internationals are to survive then I can't see more than 14 sides, 16 perhaps if we drop the European competitions. Alternatively we keep the europeans and internationals and the national league becomes a 2nd team competition. So pressure to finish in top 6 I would say or risk being in the 2nd tier whatever that may be.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

The article says (from memory) two divisions of 12..., so 4 + 4 + 2 + who?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Why don't we have a world super League of 12 with 4 GP,4 Top14 and 4 SR teams? Or why don't the RFU combat CVC and centrally contract the English players and enter them as a team in Super Rugby? Just thought I'd have a go while it's silly season. Any takers?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Until Pro14 finds a way to be relevant to fans (e.g. more than just a development league for half the seadon) there will always be these sorts of rumours. The Prem is probably too far down the line in it's own development for anything like this to ever happen, but who knows.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can any business savvy fellow/lady please explain CVC angle? I could understand them investing heavy in the club game and taking on the international game but investing in both? Isn't that a conflict of interest?
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

daktari wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:29 am I assume this this is being mooted by everyone not in the Premiership. All gain for Pro 14, all loss for us
To be honest, I don't see it as much gain for the Pro14.

It's the eternal Welsh pipe dream. And it's only the Welsh that want it - not the Irish or the Scots. It's never going to happen, there's absolutely no attraction for the English teams to do it.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It's only the Welsh who would benefit from it imo. The idea is utter nonsense.
glenn

Post by glenn »

If i was a welsh region, I would jump at this and grab it with both hands.
Take the money, play my reserves.... This save the internations for the big games, six nations etc... Then once they are in the black with a few quid behind them, they can jump ship to another league.

Oh wait, most of this happens anyway in the pro14 bar the cash!