I’m slightly worried Tigers are going to be undercooked...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

I’m slightly worried Tigers are going to be undercooked...

Post by JP14 »

Now I know it’s a long extended preseason with the World Cup and everything but I’m slightly concerned that using the PRC as our preseason is risky as other sides (such as Northampton) have organised one or two preseason fixtures in September, I know there is the Premiership 7s we usually send youngsters/guests.

Maybe a controlled, contact training session is going to happen with Loughborough or maybe Coventry... I do not know.

What do you think?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: I’m slightly worried Tigers are going to be undercooked...

Post by RagingBull »

We are playing basically 4 pre-season games in the PRC I really don't see how that will under-cook us for the prem?

The pre-season training we be more keep.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:43 pm Now I know it’s a long extended preseason with the World Cup and everything but I’m slightly concerned that using the PRC as our preseason is risky as other sides (such as Northampton) have organised one or two preseason fixtures in September, I know there is the Premiership 7s we usually send youngsters/guests.

Maybe a controlled, contact training session is going to happen with Loughborough or maybe Coventry... I do not know.

What do you think?
I think after the debacle of last seasons opening match at Exeter, the last think we will be is under prepared
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm not,as long as selection is right. 4 games,everyone plays in 1 and 2. Game 3 you play your gun 9 and 10 possibly even 9,10,12 and 13,midfield is that crucial! Your gun XV plays in game 4. Its not ideal but it's enough if the right combinations are put in place. Thoughts?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We have been underprepared for the last few seasons.

However those we played we were so sloppy - leaking tries galore the questions as to whether this was just "friendly game" mentality or more underlying was answered fairly rapidly once competitive games started.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I share JP14's concern but as we approach the season we could have six or eight players away with the World Cup, we already have a few that we know will not have recovered from existing injury before our season starts, with probably only a little over 30 players actually available can we afford to risk injury in " friendly " unnecessary matche?. I see Saints are playing Leinster chances are that will be a hard game with one or two guys not being available the following week, nobody takes it easy once they are out on the pitch.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:49 pm We are playing basically 4 pre-season games in the PRC I really don't see how that will under-cook us for the prem?

I meant we could be undercooked compared to other teams when playing in the PRC. Sorry for the confusion.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:51 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:49 pm We are playing basically 4 pre-season games in the PRC I really don't see how that will under-cook us for the prem?

I meant we could be undercooked compared to other teams when playing in the PRC. Sorry for the confusion.
Without in depth knowledge of how the other 11 teams are preparing, it is difficult to comment accurately
Murphy seems to be building much more depth into the squad and even with suggested World Cup absentees we will still be able to field a very competitive 23.
We certainly aren’t the only club who will be missing key players
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I was simply raising a possibility. Of course I don’t know what other clubs are organising, I’m just wondering that’s all, preseason is crucial I just don’t want Tigers to mess it up this year.

There seems to be a good vibe around Tigers at the moment, their Army based training will do them the world of good.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:00 pm I was simply raising a possibility. Of course I don’t know what other clubs are organising, I’m just wondering that’s all, preseason is crucial I just don’t want Tigers to mess it up this year.

There seems to be a good vibe around Tigers at the moment, their Army based training will do them the world of good.
My earlier point about the start to last season stands, including the head coach being absent for a number of weeks.

As you say there appears to be a very positive vibe emanating from the club at present, but without having other clubs to compare against it is impossible to say
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As far as I can see of our PRC opponents Exeter, Worcester, Bath & Saints only Saints are playing a pre season friendly.
I am sure we could put out a decent matchday 23 but not sure it would be worth taking the risk of injury, at scrum half for instance Youngs is unavailable, White & Simmons have had recent operations so the extra couple of weeks may be beneficial leaving only Harrison with any Premiership experience.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The Premiership Cup will be great preparation as, unlike friendliest against inferior opposition, Exeter, Worcester, Bath And Saints will want to win. Tigers and Sarries will have the most players missing. Murphy has already said 15 players could be missing. I’m hoping TV will stay with a Tigers and, sorry Jonah, but hope you aren’t needed by Wales.
Last season Tigers lacked fitness from the word go. How many games did we lose in the last 5-10 minutes so building the fitness is massive.
The squad that is available for the Prem Cup will most likely be the one to play the majority of games as our England lads are likely to come back pretty exhausted: look at last season: Genge, Youngs both missed important games due to injuries picked up with England then Cole, who could have done with a rest gets chosen again by Jones. George Ford was, thank goodness the only international who performed with class and stayed fit.
Last season, possibly due to such a long list of injuries The Prem Cup wasn’t used to pick up wins and gain confidence. Worcester, much maligned by some on this forum, used it to build momentum which then saw them stave off relegation. Tigers must target the two home games to build confidence.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I too am worried about preparations generally. I guess this might stem from the dreadful season we just experienced and the desperation not to go through that again. It feels like the new signings are bringing new hope and it would be awful if that hope was unfounded due to poor preparations or unfortunate injuries to our potential saviours.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RichieB wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:47 am I too am worried about preparations generally. I guess this might stem from the dreadful season we just experienced and the desperation not to go through that again. It feels like the new signings are bringing new hope and it would be awful if that hope was unfounded due to poor preparations or unfortunate injuries to our potential saviours.
Totally get that, and imo fans were looking for something different in pre season, therefore the trip to Rendall Munro’s gym and going to the army base, as well as the lack of friendlys are all positive steps
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:31 pm I'm not,as long as selection is right. 4 games,everyone plays in 1 and 2. Game 3 you play your gun 9 and 10 possibly even 9,10,12 and 13,midfield is that crucial! Your gun XV plays in game 4. Its not ideal but it's enough if the right combinations are put in place. Thoughts?
Yes, I believe that is the correct formula.