Ringfencing finally here?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Ringfencing finally here?

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:22 pm I think it’s still mind-boggling that there is no FA cup equivalent in rugby.
I’ve just seen this and does imho show some degree of a lack of understanding of just how physical the game is at the highest level.
National 2 north is the 4th tier of English rugby. If you get a chance to watch a match you would see a very physical quick encounter, with plenty of skill, but at the end of the day they are amateurs who receive a few quid a week for their time and effort.
The level that premiership players train and play at is on another planet, and if Tigers were to be drawn against Hinckley, as an example, they could put out a development side with a few senior academy lads and still win by a cricket score, and there would be a risk of serious injury.

Football and rugby, due to the strength and physical conditioning required are very different in this respect
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I appreciate your feedback mark and my message was rather blunt but they’re can still be a FA Cup style knockout competition between the Top 3 Tiers of English rugby to enable more TV exposure of the Championship.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Do away with the PRC. Replace it with a competition where championship teams face premiership teams who are represented by under 23's. this would level the playing field as the championship teams would be able to have wiser older players.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:57 pm Do away with the PRC. Replace it with a competition where championship teams face premiership teams who are represented by under 23's. this would level the playing field as the championship teams would be able to have wiser older players.
What are you thinking coming up with sensible ideas like this!
It'd be a good testing ground and opportunity to play for younger players and a great way to bring the leagues closer together.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

It seems an 8 year agreement was done in 2016 so we should have relegation and promotion until 2024 hopefully.

How does promotion and relegation work in the Premiership and Championship?

Automatic promotion and relegation between the Premiership and the RFU Championship is enshrined in the eight year agreement, called the Professional Game Agreement signed between the Rugby Football Union (RFU) and Premier Rugby Ltd (PRL) in 2016.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/about-us/faqs/
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

And we signed a 2 year contract with Peter Betham in January 2017, point is contracts change. Unless this agreement is legally binding.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:49 am So you've made your mind up on one one in a million relegation race? There's historically always been a whipping boy replaced by a whipping boy. If the Championship winners can't beat the bottom placed team then they don't deserve to be in the top league imo. And the bottom team gets another chance. The bye will add to player welfare and the extra couple of games and player appearance cap will determine your squad playing more meaningful games. Nothing not to like but that's just my opinion
I fully concur with your post Scott, and see this as a definite improvement, and more exciting climax to the season's end. :smt023
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Exclusive: The Premiership rugby clubs have failed in their bid to bring an end to relegation in time for the new season.

The Championship clubs were offered £500,000 to accept the deal but have resisted the offer

This is a tweet from Times Sport
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So I was wrong! Ill hold my hands up,I thought it was nailed on.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:41 am So I was wrong! Ill hold my hands up,I thought it was nailed on.
it is nailed on, it'll happen eventually
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It will happen before Brexit does!