Howard to mentor Murphy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
kpj tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by kpj tiger » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:03 pm
Board must go major change required, so club being sold.......must be a sell out, profiteering, lack of commitment by the Board.

Coaches out of their depth, so quality additions appointed.......not more ex Tigers, being done on the cheap.

Anyone else bored with the endless negativity :smt015 :smt015
+1

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7041
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by RagingBull » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:13 pm

MikeR wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm
A mentor without any real responsilbility - I'm not sure about that . I'm also not sure about inventing another job for Glyn. There seem to be more Chiefs than Indians at the moment whilst we really need a top drawer Head Coach who can bang a few heads together to sort the mess out .
Isn't that any mentor?
What difference is this to say Henry at Leinster?

Glynn is doing what he did before just under a different title the job is the same, just no doubt worded in a way that doesn't sound like a demotion which isn't uncommon.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7041
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by RagingBull » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:48 pm

sam16111986 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:00 pm
[/]

I would assume they'd be further announcements as both Ford and Blake only had contracts until the end of the season.
Although both at pre-season training.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2447
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by Scott1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:52 pm

So we could be going into the season with just a new mentor? :smt005

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7041
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by RagingBull » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm

well we are already coming in with a New Head of Rugby ops.

kpj tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by kpj tiger » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:56 pm

In regards to the coaching setup officially nothing has changed yet, from the tigers article about pre season; "Tigers head coach Geordan Murphy and colleagues Mark Bakewell, Mike Ford, Phil Blake, Boris Stankovich and Brett Deacon "

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2447
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by Scott1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:17 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm
well we are already coming in with a New Head of Rugby ops.
What's that going to change on the field though mate in the short term?

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7041
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by RagingBull » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Maybe the club has finally started to think long term.

longlivethecrumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by longlivethecrumbie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:32 pm

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:03 pm
Board must go major change required, so club being sold.......must be a sell out, profiteering, lack of commitment by the Board.

Coaches out of their depth, so quality additions appointed.......not more ex Tigers, being done on the cheap.

Anyone else bored with the endless negativity :smt015 :smt015
Yup!

longlivethecrumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by longlivethecrumbie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm
Maybe the club has finally started to think long term.
Perhaps so, but that won't stop the many keyboard warriors on here venting at every opportunity that we've not signed the whole All Blacks squad along with having a side full of academy grads and having the best DOR and coaches in the world immediately, if not sooner......

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3501
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by strawclearer » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:13 pm
MikeR wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm
A mentor without any real responsilbility - I'm not sure about that . I'm also not sure about inventing another job for Glyn. There seem to be more Chiefs than Indians at the moment whilst we really need a top drawer Head Coach who can bang a few heads together to sort the mess out .
Isn't that any mentor?
What difference is this to say Henry at Leinster?

Glynn is doing what he did before just under a different title the job is the same, just no doubt worded in a way that doesn't sound like a demotion which isn't uncommon.
Yes - the key to mentoring is that the recipient retains full accountability - both for the execution of the role and for deciding what advice (if any) to follow and what to reject.

As for GG - he feels that the further away from playing the game you get, the less enjoyable life is! So - if he can't play, he'll coach. If he can't coach, he'll scout - and he enjoys that but doesn't enjoy the admin and contract work. His new role removes that element of his previous role and uses his talents much more effectively.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2447
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by Scott1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm
Maybe the club has finally started to think long term.
Perhaps so, but that won't stop the many keyboard warriors on here venting at every opportunity that we've not signed the whole All Blacks squad along with having a side full of academy grads and having the best DOR and coaches in the world immediately, if not sooner......
Talk about exaggeration!!! Did you not watch some of our meek, pathetic performances last season? We are not asking for the world just some semblance of a decent team!

longlivethecrumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by longlivethecrumbie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:43 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:40 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm
Maybe the club has finally started to think long term.
Perhaps so, but that won't stop the many keyboard warriors on here venting at every opportunity that we've not signed the whole All Blacks squad along with having a side full of academy grads and having the best DOR and coaches in the world immediately, if not sooner......
Talk about exaggeration!!! Did you not watch some of our meek, pathetic performances last season? We are not asking for the world just some semblance of a decent team!
Yup, stood on the 10m line at the clubhouse end for every home game and all away games that were on BT were watched too. Understandably, the fans demanded change. The squad has changed. Players who many on here identified as under performing have gone and been replaced with upgrades in all bar one case (IMHO, of course). Is this enough? For many, no.

Let's look at the facts.

- Recruitment has been poor for a considerable period of time and has papered over the cracks
- The squad was short of two weeks of pre-season last year, which are critical weeks and very difficult to recover from (confirmed to me by an employee of another PL club who works in a support capacity with their first 15)
- The squad inherited by Murphy was, by popular opinion on here, unbalanced and contained players brought in by Cockers, Mauger and O'Connor
- Injuries, again, to key players at key times didn't help
- There was insufficient cover during the AI and 6N period due to the squad imbalance and injuries
- yes, Smurph's record isn't fantastic thus far. But, given a full pre-season, the signings we've made and players released plus the academy grads I, for one, am optimistic. It is going to take time to build - how many years did Sarries bring in star after star only to be guff until their academy started to bear fruit? They have an identity, which was years in the making and all players are used to playing in that style. We need to develop that identity from the ground up - it will take time of that there is also no doubt

Of course, we're all entitled to our own opinions but while my initial response was dramatic it's what comes across from many posters on here who seem to believe that whatever the club does it will never be enough.

Ian Cant
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 699
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by Ian Cant » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:35 pm

Glad Howard has returned. Please can he bring some much needed clarity to Tigers. Having supported home and away for over 35 years I just want to get back to the times of Chalkie White, Dean and Pat Howard who all put excellent squads, coaching and fitness programmes in place in a clear, determined and no nonsense way.
Cohen’s explanation about selling the club was worrying however.
“ We have had NO SIGNIFICANT offers just a couple of people have showed an interest. “
Still nothing we fans can do.
Radio Leicester already reported “ unrest amongst the Tigers.” Some fans and commentators have mentioned City’s owners.
As for the City owners: not likely to happen.Vichai’s son( now the owner) told Vichai he wanted to own Leicester City after watching the team on Thai TV when he was only a young boy. Rugby isn’t on the same level as football: Just look at attendances compared to rugby.
Maybe Pat Howard can win big on Euro millions and buy the club!

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3082
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by sam16111986 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:38 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:48 pm
sam16111986 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:00 pm
[/]

I would assume they'd be further announcements as both Ford and Blake only had contracts until the end of the season.
Although both at pre-season training.
Yeah saw that after I posted. Hopefully they have a better plan of action this summer. The hard S&C they are shown as undergoing is a good start.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chobbsy, happywomble, kk20gb30 and 2 guests