sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Howard to mentor Murphy

Post by sapajo »

Flash wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:46 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:21 pm
Flash wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 pm
I don't see what else the club could do to improve the coaching set up(although a new forwards coach would be quite nice).
Simples, appoint a proven world class DOR not a totally inexperienced Ex Tiger (now mentored by an Ex Tiger) whose only qualification for the job remains just that.
What and replace them again if their first season isn't good enough?
Two names for you Boyd at Saints and Ackermann at Glos compare their performances to Murphys!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Simples, appoint a proven world class DOR not a totally inexperienced Ex Tiger (now mentored by an Ex Tiger) whose only qualification for the job remains just that.
Two names for you Boyd at Saints and Ackermann at Glos compare their performances to Murphys!
Boyd had a preseason, and Ackermann wasn’t that brilliant in his first season, although Gloucester were still robbed of the Challenge Cup.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:07 pm

One year? How many years as "skills" coach?
The truth is our skills were horrendous under his tutelage and are pretty average now.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I live to be shouted down but I'm a Howard fan and a Murphy fan. Give 'em both a break.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

+1
A2O
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Are you a fan because their ex Tigers or because you think there talented coaches (which there not)
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You seriously saying Pat Howard wasn't a talented Coach?
BigDan50 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 am Why does Murphy need someone to mentor him, you are either good enough or not.
Hiring Howard to mentor Murphy is an admission by the board that Murphy is not up to the job, and in my opinion he never will be.
More poor decisions by a board of directors who have let the supporters down over the last five years.
Leo cullen had a mentor when he first started he has now reached two European champions cup finals and 3 pro 14 finals.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:15 pm You seriously saying Pat Howard wasn't a talented Coach?
BigDan50 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 am Why does Murphy need someone to mentor him, you are either good enough or not.
Hiring Howard to mentor Murphy is an admission by the board that Murphy is not up to the job, and in my opinion he never will be.
More poor decisions by a board of directors who have let the supporters down over the last five years.
Leo cullen had a mentor when he first started he has now reached two European champions cup finals and 3 pro 14 finals.
I think that is a very apt comparison. Cullen like Murphy knew how he wanted his team to play but needed the experience of a senior leader to help define the culture to implement the changes and achieve what he wanted on the field. I think Murphy has the vision I just think he struggled to get the players to see that vision last season. Not helped by no pre season and very little experience in the coaching staff until towards the end of the campaign.

Good to see he's got them back in pre season early and that our head coach is actually here for the start of preseason this time round.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Talk about sticking plaster to cover an open wound.....

Presumably leaving Murphy and Co in place was always going to happen once they had made their minds up to sell.

Because once any Consortium comes in, the playing side will have to be top priority, and a proven International team of Coaches.
Not a proven lowly Championship quality outfit..
voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:08 pm I live to be shouted down but I'm a Howard fan and a Murphy fan. Give 'em both a break.
You won't be shouted down by me Dai. I'm right with you on this.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Great to have Pat Howard back on board, but he will have his work cut out mentoring Murphy. Flogging a dead horse imo., and a monumental cock up by the Board. Akin to using sticking plaster for a bad wound, I believe.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

Given the hospital pass geordan was given in taking the role I'm ok with the principal of Howard being a Henry/Venter style mentor. He can have no excuses this year though.
Two things I hope we get an answer on from the club soon:
1. What are the 50 recommendations Howard made to the board as part of the review (49 agreed to, 1 to be implemented at a later date) - this came from a Peter Tom interview in a paper this week.
2. A clear explanation of who does what and reports to whom - clear structure and responsibilities - there needs to be accountability and a no excuses environment.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 pm Are you a fan because their ex Tigers or because you think there talented coaches (which there not)
All these Ex Tiger coaches who have zero experience only know one way how to play and that is what they were coached to play as Tigers players. No wonder we are struggling badly as they just coach the same old same old Tigers, skills, tactics and patterns.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:10 pm

It find it really fickle of people to fail to note that Gloucester's fortunes very much rely on Cipriani's talent and not Ackermann's coaching ability.
Also players like Thorley were already at the club primed to break through before Ackermann even arrived.
Good player recruitment is at least equally as important as coaching recruitment.
Saints under Boyd have gone all out with the running game and that's down to the personnel that was already at the club, players like Collins etc, but they have taken some heavy beatings on the scoreboard.
Last edited by BFG on Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yeah all the players nothing to do with the coaches,my God!! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer