Leicester Tigers up for sale for £60 Million

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

nasher

Re: Leicester Tigers up for sale for £60 Million

Post by nasher »

I think the sale of the club is the boards reward for failure. In recent years the rugby as got worse and worse. Poor decision making by the BOD, poor appointments and declining success has lead to surviving relegation by a whisker. The BOD does not have a solution so they cannot save face, but make few quid as they go. I for one will not have anything to do with a money making machine disguised as a once famous rugby club. Tom Crumbie must be turning.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ourla wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:05 pm
BengalTiger wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 pm Will the money buy better training facilities? when we allegedly have the best in the league already!
I'm not sure where you read we have the best in the league already? And certainly there were plans to move which didn't come off and then other opportunities/priorities killed the idea in the short term. It's not that the facilities are poor but "state of the art" training facilities is part of the jigsaw for long term sucess.
There has been some work to improve Oval Park of late and I haven't played against Wiggs for a couple of years but when I last did the pitches weren't impressive. Several other clubs In the county have better. I think a new training facility will be a medium term target, won't happen in the next couple of years but certainly inside five years we should be moving.
nasher wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:52 pm I think the sale of the club is the boards reward for failure. In recent years the rugby as got worse and worse. Poor decision making by the BOD, poor appointments and declining success has lead to surviving relegation by a whisker. The BOD does not have a solution so they cannot save face, but make few quid as they go. I for one will not have anything to do with a money making machine disguised as a once famous rugby club. Tom Crumbie must be turning.
The owners are aging and so are the board of directors. I think the sale is the acknowledgement that the baton needs to be passed to the next generation and that fresh blood will have new ideas and new ways in which they want to drive the club forward. I'm sure they'll be moaning on here when the fresh blood isn't completely old school in their approach.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I've been very critical of the BOD on this Forum. It would be churlish to criticise them now for acknowledging that the baton needs to be passed. Other clubs have overtaken us. However I've never doubted Tom and Scott wanting the best for our Great Club. They are the major shareholders and they invested their money when others weren't prepared to do so. They are entitled to benefit if and when they sell. I do trust them to do the very best for Tigers. I have no doubt that they love the club every bit as I do and will want to see it thrive into the future.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

nasher wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:52 pm I think the sale of the club is the boards reward for failure. In recent years the rugby as got worse and worse. Poor decision making by the BOD, poor appointments and declining success has lead to surviving relegation by a whisker. The BOD does not have a solution so they cannot save face, but make few quid as they go. I for one will not have anything to do with a money making machine disguised as a once famous rugby club. Tom Crumbie must be turning.
Not really. Tom's well in to old age. Tom Scott has invested a lot of money in the club; it's only fair he gets the chance to have a return on that if he chooses to hand over his portion of control. Neither are probably in the "super rich" category of being able to effectively write blank cheques, as several other Premiership (and French) owners/chairmen are. They may make "a few quid", but as was explained by Simon Cohen, the figure being banded about as a rough guide is in the ballpark of what you'd expect it to be, no more, no less.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:40 pm The salary cap will go up,in fact it will go one day. Good point cagey.
The salary cap will be gone by the end of next season. Saracens will destroy it, either by being allowed to continue what they are allegedly doing now "outside of the cap" (property/investments/business etc) or by being told he can't do it anymore and taking the PRL to court.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigers actually training facility is pretty damn good, as for the rest of Wiggs RFC, bit of a cesspool with little parking.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Whilst agreeing that Peter Tom is knocking on a bit, he is even older than me, I am not sure what relevance that has to his ability to run the club, young people are capable of cock-ups as well. The Board is made up of eleven people ranging from the relative youth of Ben Kay to the age of the Chairman. I think many of the Board would agree that they made a mistake in appointing Matt O'Connor, some may admit that they were wrong to sack Cocker, I suggest that there is not a board of directors in any business in the country that does not regret some decisions in the past, hindsight is very effective and accurate.
I am apprehensive about the possibility of our club being sold, individual ownership has not brought success to Bath and if twelve clubs have an individual owner it is likely that there will be ten unhappy owners and sets of fans.
For the record since the game became professional we have had one really bad season when only Newcastle were envious of us. Our fortunes have fluctuated but over the period no other team has been as successful both on and off the pitch which is why we may be attractive to a prospective owner but any buyer is going to have to put more money on the table than any purchaser of a Rugby Club has done so far for an out right purchase, and their is little chance on a return on their investment unless a lot more money comes into the game with wages held a no more than the current level.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:13 pm Whilst agreeing that Peter Tom is knocking on a bit, he is even older than me, I am not sure what relevance that has to his ability to run the club, young people are capable of cock-ups as well. The Board is made up of eleven people ranging from the relative youth of Ben Kay to the age of the Chairman.
Ben Kay is a non-exec that advises on the playing side and advertising. Peter Tom is involved in the day to day running and future planning. Tom is 79 and Simon Cohen is no spring chicken. Maybe the pair are ready to retire and our other major shareholder is happy to sell this shares to allow someone to gain the control they need to remodel the board how they want.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:13 pm Whilst agreeing that Peter Tom is knocking on a bit, he is even older than me, I am not sure what relevance that has to his ability to run the club, young people are capable of cock-ups as well.
I think the relevance may be more in his willingness to remain doing the job, travelling etc, as opposed to his ability.

At 79 I intend to have my feet up (if I make it!).
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

KING POWER anyone?

The owner could then mirror Bristol and become Sport Leicester.Stephen Lansdown is Mr Bristol.
This could in my opinion be a better outcome for Tigers. The devil you know and all that...... :smt007
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:02 am
PGD wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 pm Cohen has stated that the sale will help Tigers return to be one of the top teams. Yet in the same interview, he states that as Tigers have always spent up to the salary cap, the sale won't have any effect on the team on the pitch.

Things don't add up here... are you familiar with the term: "non sequitur"? You're familiar with 'tosh', which is what Cohen was talking. You too, not me.
What if the salary cap goes up as it may well do to allow more English clubs to compete against French and Irish teams? With all the fairly new moneyed owners at Wuss, Bristol, Bath and Sale, there's a lot of clubs that could afford more. Tigers are about breaking even at the moment and need the extra income that the car park and hotel would bring in the long term. Medium term they will be a drain which the sale would offset and give Tigers more flexibility about how they progress these projects.

That adds up for me, not saying I like it, but it adds up.
Good point, Cagey. But if rugby gets to the same state as Association Football is now, where £££m changes hands for players, will I still want to support it? Don't ask me why I shouldn't, I'm not really sure, but I think that then I'll stop driving up to Leicester & watch Chinnor, 5min away.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 am KING POWER anyone?

The owner could then mirror Bristol and become Sport Leicester.Stephen Lansdown is Mr Bristol.
This could in my opinion be a better outcome for Tigers. The devil you know and all that...... :smt007
Bye bye Welford Road though. A price you’d be willing to pay?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:42 pm

King Power wouldn't move the Tigers out or Welford Road, unless it was a temporary thing whilst major renovations are made
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:05 pm

King Power wouldn't move the Tigers out or Welford Road, unless it was a temporary thing whilst major renovations are made
Who says? It was on the cards 15 years ago and why would a sole owner want to have to maintain two similar capacity stadiums within a few hundred metres of each other when they could make a quick return selling the land?

I don’t think KP will come in for it though.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:57 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:05 pm

Who says? It was on the cards 15 years ago and why would a sole owner want to have to maintain two similar capacity stadiums within a few hundred metres of each other when they could make a quick return selling the land?

I don’t think KP will come in for it though.
because everything King Power has done has been respectful of traditions of LCFC and I see no reason why they would be different at Tigers.

But fundamentally pitches that have both football and Rugby played on them all season are :censored: and they wouldn't want a :censored: pitch at the KP Stadium