Leicester Tigers up for sale for £60 Million

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers up for sale for £60 Million

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 am Sadly there will be a time when the cap goes and when we have transfer windows with a league littered with the world's best players at the expense of our national team. Sound familiar?
Rugby will never be popular or organised enough to do what the Premier League did, and if you want to talk the national team how many of them are actually English rather than imports?
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

... this could potentially be a good move for the club, the possibility of the pressure finally got to the board.
There is the chance of a consortium, brought together by a dedicated ex-Tiger who can see the possibility of taking this club to another level.
Not sure what the chances of King Power taking over, would it draw the ire of the monopolies commission, or am I over thinking it.
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

Bring in the Kingpower people, they know how to run a club successfully.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Redstripeman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:35 pm ... this could potentially be a good move for the club, the possibility of the pressure finally got to the board.
There is the chance of a consortium, brought together by a dedicated ex-Tiger who can see the possibility of taking this club to another level.
Not sure what the chances of King Power taking over, would it draw the ire of the monopolies commission, or am I over thinking it.
why would the monopolies commission be interested the two companies are not in the same market place?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers valued over twice as much as Gloucester was according to this http://sport.bt.com/rugby-union-hub/rug ... 4040375444
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:28 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 am Sadly there will be a time when the cap goes and when we have transfer windows with a league littered with the world's best players at the expense of our national team. Sound familiar?
Rugby will never be popular or organised enough to do what the Premier League did, and if you want to talk the national team how many of them are actually English rather than imports?
I think you and I differ on the definition of English, for me the Vunipolas and Manu are English.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:25 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:28 pm
I think you and I differ on the definition of English, for me the Vunipolas and Manu are English.
wasn't talking about them, I meant the South African's, Kiwi's etc who are here just long enough to qualify on residency that are immediately put into the side.

If you grow up here and want to play then for me they are as English as someone born here.

The Cricket team do the same the only one that doesn't is the football team
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

£60 million, not a chance property developers would interested at that.

Curious times! I immediately thought of the King Power owners but is that at all likely, or even a possibility?
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:41 pm Tigers valued over twice as much as Gloucester was according to this http://sport.bt.com/rugby-union-hub/rug ... 4040375444
That was long before the CVC investment in rugby.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

No doubt Messrs Scott and Toms will do conduct a world wide search to ensure we get a world class owner, and we will end up with a debt laden management buy-out, lead by Matt O'Connor and Phil Blake.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Traveller wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:36 pm No doubt Messrs Scott and Toms will do conduct a world wide search to ensure we get a world class owner, and we will end up with a debt laden management buy-out, lead by Matt O'Connor and Phil Blake.
Those two would still be better than the Glazers or Ashley.

My preference would be for the Fenway Group (Liverpool owners)...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 am Will someone please be kind enough to break down possible outcomes for a simple guy like me? Can shareholders stop the sale? If it's just a case of wanting rid of the board can the shareholders just vote them off and re-elect? Any help would be very much appreciated!
Scott has 46% of shares
Tom has 9%

Realistically if those two want to sell it will sell.

It's not the case of wanting board members off because those two are the board and own the club basically.
> 50% is what they need so if Scott and Tom sell that 53% so those with 100 shares or so won't be able to prevent the sale, no matter how many there are of them.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

G.K wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:17 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 am Will someone please be kind enough to break down possible outcomes for a simple guy like me? Can shareholders stop the sale? If it's just a case of wanting rid of the board can the shareholders just vote them off and re-elect? Any help would be very much appreciated!
Scott has 46% of shares
Tom has 9%

Realistically if those two want to sell it will sell.

It's not the case of wanting board members off because those two are the board and own the club basically.
> 50% is what they need so if Scott and Tom sell that 53% so those with 100 shares or so won't be able to prevent the sale, no matter how many there are of them.
Duh 55% been a long day...
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Peter Tom interview in The Daily Wail:

“It has been a pretty terrible two years on the pitch, we have not been disadvantaged by finances, but have made some mistakes and have deserved a kicking as a board at times.”

And how many people accused those of us who said it at the time of disloyalty and not knowing what we talking about...
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

teds wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:32 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:10 pm I believe that the small shareholders don't have a say in if they want to sell their shares or not if someone wants to buy the whole thing.
Looking into this it depends upon whether an agreement is in place in form of a shareholders agreement, which usually either specifies a price for the forced buyout or a mechanism to determine a price. Perhaps someone who owns some Tigers shares can confirm if they have such an agreement. If there is no agreement in place, it can be much harder to force minority shareholders to sell.

Apologies RB if this what you meant.
A buyer normally needs 90%+ of shares to be able to compulsorily purchase the remainder. As MikeR intimates, the class and rights of share types may have an effect.

edit: Just had a quick look, the shares seem to be all Ordinary 10p.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game