Leicester Tigers up for sale for £60 Million

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Redstripeman

Re: Leicester Tigers up for sale for £60 Million

Post by Redstripeman »

... this would be an excellent opportunity for King Power but probably an acquisition too soon. Since becoming the Head of the group khun Top is heavily involved with the infrastructure of LCFC and doubt he be willing to take his eye off the ball where this is concerned.
The building of LCFC new training facilities could encompass the tigers under one umbrella with slight tweeks to their original plan. I can not see any reason why there would be a need to leave WR although some development is still needed, the recent new plans for the stadium seems adequate enough.
LCFC have benefited greatly from the support of the King Power group and I believe that this could be a major chapter in Tigers history.
I feel however this opportunity has come up at the wrong time in khun Top"s career and we are about to miss a unique opportunity!!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:57 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:05 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:42 pm

Bye bye Welford Road though. A price you’d be willing to pay?
King Power wouldn't move the Tigers out or Welford Road, unless it was a temporary thing whilst major renovations are made
Who says? It was on the cards 15 years ago and why would a sole owner want to have to maintain two similar capacity stadiums within a few hundred metres of each other when they could make a quick return selling the land?

I don’t think KP will come in for it though.
Very, very unlikely to happen, especially as City are now in the Premier League. Both teams would want primacy of tenure, which is why it failed last time.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:47 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:05 pm

King Power wouldn't move the Tigers out or Welford Road, unless it was a temporary thing whilst major renovations are made
Who says? It was on the cards 15 years ago and why would a sole owner want to have to maintain two similar capacity stadiums within a few hundred metres of each other when they could make a quick return selling the land?

Very, very unlikely to happen, especially as City are now in the Premier League. Both teams would want primacy of tenure, which is why it failed last time.
But that was a completely different scenario. In this hypothetical situation of both teams being owned by one owner, I think they'd do what they were told by said owner. :smt001
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Because people that rich don't buy a sports club to make a quick buck on land.

Because people that rich don't think as short term as you.

People who are already worth hundreds of millions or billions don't think about making a few million. They think about doubling their wealth. They think about legacy. They think bigger than you. And that's why no rich dude is going to buy Tigers just to sell off the land.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:52 am Because people that rich don't buy a sports club to make a quick buck on land.

People who are already worth hundreds of millions or billions don't think about making a few million. They think about doubling their wealth. They think about legacy. They think bigger than you. And that's why no rich dude is going to buy Tigers just to sell off the land.
Well that’s generalizing.

There are also those people who are rich because they do think like that, they look to see if they can make an investment and how best to get their return. For some a few million is still a few million.

Hence why multi billion pound companies look to cut the cheapest of costs becuase regardless of who it might affect.

Sometimes people who have that money get it by being extremely ruthless.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

An individual enthusiast with private wealth would probably be less inclined to seek a return than corporate investment as long as they feel they are getting value and or enjoyment for their cash. As speculated by others what happens when they loose interest is the concern. Whatever happens it would seem from the previous 4-5 seasons that we just don't have the financial muscle to compete. Yes we spend up to the cap but it appears that others have found ways for that to be less of a restriction.
I'm not cynical just experienced
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:45 pm

But that was a completely different scenario. In this hypothetical situation of both teams being owned by one owner, I think they'd do what they were told by said owner. :smt001
Not at the risk of losing TV revenue they wouldn't. The TV money is massive and if that required keeping the stadiums apart then so be it. What KP would probably look to do is integrate the training and medical facilities etc. Only paying for one gym, one medical centre etc would be an easier cost cutting measure.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Come on then message board posters,
Lets dig deep find the cash and formulate a syndicate?????
Should work as long as we call all agree on the direction, Board members, coaching staff and recruitment.

Oh sorry I have had a grey moment and erased four years of messageboard posts....Every one has a differing opinion

I'll therefore keep my loose change in me pocket.

Good luck :smt035 :smt035
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

No, forgive my wording. Both teams would NEED primacy of tenure. A requirement of the Premier League and Premier Rugby (although PRL aren't always too hot on enforcing this)
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:52 am Because people that rich don't buy a sports club to make a quick buck on land.

I didn’t say they would buy the Tigers just to sell off the land, just that (in the hypothetical situation of both clubs being owned by one entity) they may consider it surplus to requirements given 50% of it is past its sell by date and is already being planned - in the long term (that I obviously don’t think about) - to be replaced.

Please don’t be presumptuous and patronising about my thinking either.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:55 pm

No, forgive my wording. Both teams would NEED primacy of tenure. A requirement of the Premier League and Premier Rugby (although PRL aren't always too hot on enforcing this)
I think PRL would probably roll over in this situation given the potential nature of such an owner, particularly given the “changing face” of the game. :smt001
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:04 pm

I think PRL would probably roll over in this situation given the potential nature of such an owner, particularly given the “changing face” of the game. :smt001
It's nice having idle speculation like this, but I doubt it will ever get to this.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Won’t the “changing face of the game” mean that things like primacy of tenure become more important not less? More money, more pressure on the brand, greater need to gain a positive identity with the fan base for marketing purposes.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Should the Leicester City owners be interested in purchasing Tigers it would obviously make business sense to have both teams playing in the same stadium, primacy of tenure would not be an insurmountable factor as safety restrictions and the police do not permit us playing on the same day. There could be issues on the sale of Welford Road as it would probably require the City Council to agree a change of use, it being unlikely that any other sport could take over the stadium.
There have been a number of soccer/rugby sharing situations but only briefly has it involved Premiership sides from both sports. When it was proposed that Tigers move to the then Walkers Stadium I was very much against it as the differences in the after match social habits between the sports were not in my opinion at that time addressed, time has moved on, I am still against it but not as passionately as I was. Ashton Gate Bristol where to teams with one ownership play seem to have a system that works for them and as a visitor I found little to complain about.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

I think the judgements in the Rotherham and London Welsh cases have weakened the rugby rules on primacy of tenure considerably. I don't think there has been a similar challenge to the Premier league, but if fair trading rules forced a change on the rugby regulations, it might be applicable there as well? Either way, as JtheG says, the police don't generally allow Tigers and City to play on the same day. Police and safety constraints trump whatever the TV companies want.

The council would have to have a good reason to refuse change of use; it isn't public access land and sentiment isn't sufficient. They might even wonder whether the city really needs two big sports stadiums.

Truthfully, it looks like a decent bit of business. What is the average monthly rent for a modern apartment in the city centre, £800 to £1000? You could fit a lot of £1000 apartments on the Welford Road site......