LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Scott1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Borthwick but he's turned us down unsurprisingly.

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2556
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:30 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Hot_Charlie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:33 pm
Borthwick but he's turned us down unsurprisingly.
Has he? Said who? The story only broke in the press on Friday.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Scott1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm

He wont be coming,trust me. Would you?!

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4004
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by JP14 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:29 pm

There was an article in the independent that seemed to create doubt over the story.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

longlivethecrumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by longlivethecrumbie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm
He wont be coming,trust me. Would you?!
Just a tad negative....

TigerBoy1880
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by TigerBoy1880 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm
He wont be coming,trust me. Would you?!
Is there a reason we should trust you? Do you have inside knowledge? If you do, then we have more of a reason to trust you. You’ve said that he won’t be coming as though you know something that the rest of us don’t.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3259
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by sam16111986 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:24 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 03806.html

They seem to be saying it won't happen because Borthwick has previously turned down both Ulster and Wasps and there is also a chance he could succeed Jones when Eddie steps aside.

He didn't take Wasps or Ulster presumably because he wanted a tilt at the RWC. I suppose anything he chooses to do after will depend on what he understands the RFU plans are.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Mark62 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:24 pm

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:01 pm
Scott1 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm
He wont be coming,trust me. Would you?!
Just a tad negative....
He’s never negative but claims to be a true fan :smt017

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2556
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:30 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Hot_Charlie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:53 pm

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:01 pm
Scott1 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm
He wont be coming,trust me. Would you?!
Just a tad negative....
A little bit.

The Indy article is interesting, but Borthwick coming to us post 6N is a very different kettle of fish to Borthwick taking another job at another time previously. With Gustard going to Quins I doubt the RFU would have wanted to lose another senior coach in the same timeframe; a move to Tigers would be almost 2 seasons later.

I don’t yet see Borthwick replacing Jones; the RFU have been bitten twice with Johnno and Lancaster and will go (IMHO) to an experienced DoR with a record of silverware.

tigerssteve
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by tigerssteve » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:40 pm

TigerBoy1880 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:21 pm
Scott1 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm
He wont be coming,trust me. Would you?!
Is there a reason we should trust you? Do you have inside knowledge? If you do, then we have more of a reason to trust you. You’ve said that he won’t be coming as though you know something that the rest of us don’t.
Everyone claims to know more. Just rubbish. 50% chance of being right and he told you so; trust me. Spherical objects.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Scott1 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:48 pm

tigerssteve wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:40 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:21 pm
Scott1 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm
He wont be coming,trust me. Would you?!
Is there a reason we should trust you? Do you have inside knowledge? If you do, then we have more of a reason to trust you. You’ve said that he won’t be coming as though you know something that the rest of us don’t.
Everyone claims to know more. Just rubbish. 50% chance of being right and he told you so; trust me. Spherical objects.
Globes?

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3600
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by strawclearer » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:11 am

sam16111986 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:24 pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 03806.html

They seem to be saying it won't happen because Borthwick has previously turned down both Ulster and Wasps and there is also a chance he could succeed Jones when Eddie steps aside.

He didn't take Wasps or Ulster presumably because he wanted a tilt at the RWC. I suppose anything he chooses to do after will depend on what he understands the RFU plans are.
The key to this article is in the sub-header:

"England assistant coach has held discussions with the Premiership club over a future role at Welford Road but is expected to reject any approach to remain with the national team set-up."

"Expected" by whom? No-one is named. No-one is quoted. No-one is attributed.

Move along - nothing to see here just yet.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3259
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by sam16111986 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:22 pm

strawclearer wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:11 am
sam16111986 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:24 pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 03806.html

They seem to be saying it won't happen because Borthwick has previously turned down both Ulster and Wasps and there is also a chance he could succeed Jones when Eddie steps aside.

He didn't take Wasps or Ulster presumably because he wanted a tilt at the RWC. I suppose anything he chooses to do after will depend on what he understands the RFU plans are.
The key to this article is in the sub-header:

"England assistant coach has held discussions with the Premiership club over a future role at Welford Road but is expected to reject any approach to remain with the national team set-up."

"Expected" by whom? No-one is named. No-one is quoted. No-one is attributed.

Move along - nothing to see here just yet.
It's an opinion piece. Raises some fairly interesting points around the rumour but doesn't seem to have any particular insight.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7266
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by RagingBull » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Interesting that RugbyPass linking COS to the RFU with his buddy Mapletoft as U20's coach.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4004
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by JP14 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:58 pm

I could be wrong but I think O'Shea is past it, has done some really good stuff behind the scenes with Italian rugby but that has been as good as it gets for the Azzurri under the Irishman.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baz, CrumblingTerrace, DeadlyDunc, jaguar and 2 guests