Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by JP14 »

Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:01 pm Could this be us?

https://www.nottinghamrugby.co.uk/jason ... rship-club
Think I saw the Worcester S&C coach had left so maybe them?
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

As no further signings have been announced, those still unknown to us are likely to be Southern hemisphere, and/or World Cup players, or am I missing something? Perhaps there are no more, but I am very doubtful about that.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Super Rugby players I imagine,or perhaps Top14 maybe. Their season concludes Saturday
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:35 pm As no further signings have been announced, those still unknown to us are likely to be Southern hemisphere, and/or World Cup players, or am I missing something? Perhaps there are no more, but I am very doubtful about that.
Strongest rumours yet to be announced:

Hanro Liebenberg - Final round of Super Rugby regular season is this weekend so may well be confirmed soon
EW Viljeon - See above for Leibenberg
Joe Thomas - Only just rumoured but would be an odd rumour to come from nowhere if there's nothing in it
Jordan Coghlan - Probably waiting for a 'popcorn day'

Whilst I'm really pleased with Coghlan signing if he was announced in isolation there would be the usual sarcastic outcry of "that's an inspiring signing" from fans who feel that the squad should made up of 40 seasoned internationals who are magically willing to trade their services for £20,000 a year and free Tigers memorabilia.

Jan McGinity is also rumoured to be joining as Director of Rugby Operations. That is a fantastic additions in my opinion and he may well be bring suggestions for signings with him. He has overseen many Scotland academy players come through the system as well as overseeing SRU contracts whilst a connection has been fostered between Edinburgh and Fiji due to Billy Mata's success.

We were rumoured to be after Donnacha Ryan recently as well as now being in contact with Alun Wyn-Jones so it would seem cap has been set aside for an experienced second row.

I'd expect there to be cap free for RWC bolters similar to Veainu in 2015. That would be an ideal use of injury dispensation in fact given when the RWC ends and the inevitable injuries that will have been picked up by then.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

James whitecombe off to Australia.
Will be playing for Sydney Uni for 3 months, similar to what Ben Betts did.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

ABClub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:35 pm As no further signings have been announced, those still unknown to us are likely to be Southern hemisphere, and/or World Cup players, or am I missing something? Perhaps there are no more, but I am very doubtful about that.
Strongest rumours yet to be announced:

Hanro Liebenberg - Final round of Super Rugby regular season is this weekend so may well be confirmed soon
EW Viljeon - See above for Leibenberg
Joe Thomas - Only just rumoured but would be an odd rumour to come from nowhere if there's nothing in it
Jordan Coghlan - Probably waiting for a 'popcorn day'

Whilst I'm really pleased with Coghlan signing if he was announced in isolation there would be the usual sarcastic outcry of "that's an inspiring signing" from fans who feel that the squad should made up of 40 seasoned internationals who are magically willing to trade their services for £20,000 a year and free Tigers memorabilia.

Jan McGinity is also rumoured to be joining as Director of Rugby Operations. That is a fantastic additions in my opinion and he may well be bring suggestions for signings with him. He has overseen many Scotland academy players come through the system as well as overseeing SRU contracts whilst a connection has been fostered between Edinburgh and Fiji due to Billy Mata's success.

We were rumoured to be after Donnacha Ryan recently as well as now being in contact with Alun Wyn-Jones so it would seem cap has been set aside for an experienced second row.

I'd expect there to be cap free for RWC bolters similar to Veainu in 2015. That would be an ideal use of injury dispensation in fact given when the RWC ends and the inevitable injuries that will have been picked up by then.
Great post and how true, we could sign Retallick, Hooper, AWJ and one of the Barritts and folk on here still wouldn’t be happy. This may come as a shock to some, but I figure with decent recruitment, good coaches and some luck, it will take us 3-4 seasons to hopefully get back to challenging for the Top 4. Any sooner would be nice obviously but unlikely.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

3-4 seasons? Boyd? Ackerman? Gustard? Excuses in already?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Out of contract this season from the 2018/19 senior squad I THINK we have
Cortes
Ford
Genge
Kalamafoni
May
Polota-Nau
Stevens
Thompstone
Youngs
Youngs

Harrison rumoured off mid season.

Not 100% sure on
Gigena
Worth
Hills
Eastmond

Fairly confident that
Bateman
Denton
Holmes
Kerr
Spencer
Thompson
Tuilagi
Veainu
All have another 2 seasons left.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am 3-4 seasons? Boyd? Ackerman? Gustard? Excuses in already?!
I reckon 3-4 seasons is true about challenging the top 2.
I think the gap between us and 3rd place isn't as big as some might say. (we did beat Gloucester, Saints and Quins this season).

I don't see why we couldn't be challenging 3rd place this season or next.
But Sarries and Exeter are a good 4 or so seasons away as is being truly competitive in European big leagues. (As shown by those clubs mentioned).
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:25 am
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am 3-4 seasons? Boyd? Ackerman? Gustard? Excuses in already?!
I reckon 3-4 seasons is true about challenging the top 2.
I think the gap between us and 3rd place isn't as big as some might say. (we did beat Gloucester, Saints and Quins this season).

I don't see why we couldn't be challenging 3rd place this season or next.
But Sarries and Exeter are a good 4 or so seasons away as is being truly competitive in European big leagues. (As shown by those clubs mentioned).
Agreed, the gap between 3rd and 12th wasn't actually that vast, when I had a quick look at the results we lost 8 games in the prem by 7 or less, Newcastle lost 6 by 7 or less and Worcester 4. I know it's easy to say what If but if we won those 8 even without try bonus points we finish on 65 points and get 4th place.

If Worcester won those 4 games they could also have got 4th place
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I hope Gigena stays if his contract is up, thought he could have been a World Cup bolter for the Pumas might still be if injuries occur.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,Chiefs and Sarries are light years ahead. Gloc still haven't proved they've lost their inconsistency tag and the rest are pretty meh really. I'm expecting at least top 6 next season,at least! As well as a good run in the CC.
BG01

Post by BG01 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:01 pm Could this be us?

https://www.nottinghamrugby.co.uk/jason ... rship-club
Pete Burridge (Academy S&C coach) is changing role, so could be connected to that?
Never believe generalisations