LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:42 pm I was looking over the Rugby Colorno article regarding their signing of Tuilagi, note this sentence here: Colorno's collaboration with Leicester Tigers bears fruit

Does this mean that Big Fred is simply on a season loan as the Italian club is one of our global partners?
I have wondered if its a case like Harry Wells, he has promise but not enough to keep him on the books, let him go play somewhere for a while where we can keep an eye on him and bring him back if he starts to make the grade
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:42 pm I was looking over the Rugby Colorno article regarding their signing of Tuilagi, note this sentence here: Colorno's collaboration with Leicester Tigers bears fruit

Does this mean that Big Fred is simply on a season loan as the Italian club is one of our global partners?
Is that an English language article or a translation?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

There is nothing in the article to suggest that Fred is on loan but I think Fred is possibly a late developer needing regular game time. I believe that it is very possible that in a couple of years young Fred will be a much improved player at eight and could well be of Premiership standard. Whether that will be good enough for a Tigers return I am not certain but big lads peak in their middle to late twenties and he is a big lad. Good luck to him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:32 pm There is nothing in the article to suggest that Fred is on loan but I think Fred is possibly a late developer needing regular game time. I believe that it is very possible that in a couple of years young Fred will be a much improved player at eight and could well be of Premiership standard. Whether that will be good enough for a Tigers return I am not certain but big lads peak in their middle to late twenties and he is a big lad. Good luck to him.
You may be right John but at 22 I would hope he would be showing more than he has if this were the case. For me he is never going to be more than an average championship player, something which the club obviously share otherwise they would have offered a new deal.
Imho if he had a different surname this conversation would have ended a long time ago. I know he’s a generation down but of the 7 brothers only 3 ever reached the top level for a sustained period
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:17 pm

Is that an English language article or a translation?
Translation.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:32 pm There is nothing in the article to suggest that Fred is on loan but I think Fred is possibly a late developer needing regular game time. I believe that it is very possible that in a couple of years young Fred will be a much improved player at eight and could well be of Premiership standard. Whether that will be good enough for a Tigers return I am not certain but big lads peak in their middle to late twenties and he is a big lad. Good luck to him.
Playing at Colorno will give him gametime and being linked to the Tigers the door is ajar for a return either because of form or injury.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:19 pm
Playing at Colorno will give him gametime and being linked to the Tigers the door is ajar for a return either because of form or injury.
Some common sense from you two rather than the obvious personal agenda from others.
It would seem that others who have been quite average are allowed to develop as individuals and yet young Fred is not.
Comical that he alone should be branded Championship standard only as the entire squad very nearly attained that label last season.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:29 pm
Some common sense from you two rather than the obvious personal agenda from others.
It would seem that others who have been quite average are allowed to develop as individuals and yet young Fred is not.
Comical that he alone should be branded Championship standard only as the entire squad very nearly attained that label last season.
And yet he got no where near the squad for any premiership games, so by your logic that would put him below championship standard.
No agenda just giving my honest opinion, as you often do. If I am proved wrong then so be it
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:43 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:29 pm

And yet he got no where near the squad for any premiership games, so by your logic that would put him below championship standard.
No agenda just giving my honest opinion, as you often do. If I am proved wrong then so be it
Nowhere near the squad in what was the worst season in the history of the Premiership.
I wouldn't hold not being selected against anyone in the circumstances.
Quite a lot have it all to prove, Fred isn't alone.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tatafu Polota-Nau will retire from international rugby at the end of 2019.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Apparently Jimmy Stevens may be joining Yorkshire Carnegie on loan for next season. Guess with signing Clare we have 5 first team hookers on the books.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:11 am Apparently Jimmy Stevens may be joining Yorkshire Carnegie on loan for next season. Guess with signing Clare we have 5 first team hookers on the books.
I hope he’s had his salary guaranteed, they still haven’t paid some players from last season
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:12 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:11 am Apparently Jimmy Stevens may be joining Yorkshire Carnegie on loan for next season. Guess with signing Clare we have 5 first team hookers on the books.
I hope he’s had his salary guaranteed, they still haven’t paid some players from last season
Nor are they likely to, I think the creditor agreement has been signed so that's that. Former players are left out of pocket and left to pay medical expenses the club's medical insurance no longer covers.

Stevens going on loan makes sense. There's obviously a concern over his long term health hence Clare coming in. Get Stevens playing and match fit so if he's needed he's ready to go. Helps him show his ability and fitness to prospective employers should we not retain him at the end of the season. Helps out Joe Ford as well.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Just to be clear all Leeds players were paid in full for last year.

Those with contracts for the coming season, and beyond, became creditors in the club's IVA. They are set to receive 15% of the difference between their Leeds' contract and any one they subsequently sign with another club.

The medical fees were chased by the medical company because they chose not to be included in the IVA and chose to chase the players instead. The club were unlikely to be allowed to preference a creditor so had little choice. These bills were settled by a benefactor.

So Leeds players did not end up unpaid or chased for bills for last season. Having said that, were I a player there, I would very carefully read the terms and conditions before I underwent any private treatment they recommended and possibly look at getting an indemnity from them before under going any treatments. I'd also be looking for a contract with some pretty easy release clauses if it started going sour again.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have made a video documenting Toomua's time at Tigers, hope you enjoy it and above all that is accurate!

https://youtu.be/uF13rJFvzbs