LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Tigerbeat »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm It would be interesting to know if the refused autographs were at a match or if he just bumped in to them when off work.

I am quite old fashioned in the view that when players are ‘off duty ‘ they are private individuals with their own families, and shouldn’t be approached unless they indicate they are they are happy with it. For instance it used to be that any given morning after training a number of the players would be found in Costas in oadby but that was their time and they were left to it.

Again this is my opinion and I’m sure others may feel different.
Have always found Ben to be happy to sign autographs after games and even outside match days. Before matches, like other players, autographs are not always given.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
20yearsatiger
Tiger Cub

Post by 20yearsatiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm It would be interesting to know if the refused autographs were at a match or if he just bumped in to them when off work.

I am quite old fashioned in the view that when players are ‘off duty ‘ they are private individuals with their own families, and shouldn’t be approached unless they indicate they are they are happy with it. For instance it used to be that any given morning after training a number of the players would be found in Costas in oadby but that was their time and they were left to it.

Again this is my opinion and I’m sure others may feel different.
The two instances I was referring to were both at Welford Road after a game. I completely agree re: private lives being private
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

As long as he politely refused I see no issue.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:49 pm Ben Youngs has made more than 230 appearances for Tiger, about 85 for England and a few for the Lions, not yet 30 he has been selected by many highly thought of coaches yet there are still people who have neither coached or played at the top level that think they know better than those that have. He has been relatively injury free throughout his career although like anybody he has had some time off. Harry Simmons was not ignored when fit, he came back from injury early due to Harrison & White getting concussions in the same match resulting in Holmes playing a second half at 9. Simmons was selected against Sale away had to play the whole 80 minutes and the following week was back in hospital for a further operation.
We are ok at scrum half. I think the squad is looking better balanced and with better depth than recent seasons and the young players moving up will hopefully keep on improving. Hopefully none of our players get broken in Japan, I suspect a little bit of cap being retained to cover that eventuality.
I agree it's time to look forward, but at the same time you don't need a glorious coaching history or anything else for that matter to see that he didn't play very well last season.
If previous know how is a requirement then the same might apply to our head coach.
FWIW I've seen blokes come away from level 2 and 3 coaching courses and state that was such a load of rubbish that they'll never follow in their coaching.
What is in the can doesn't always look or taste as good as what is on the label.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't entirely disagree with BFG. My previous comment was in response to MikeR regarding the scrumhalf position which I regard as one of strength. The Tiger's team did not play well last season, individuals all had their moments of good and bad but it was the team that failed.
I suppose my comments could be influenced by sitting in near supporters (not the knowledgeable ones I sit with in the Crumbie) yelling for Youngs to move it quicker even before the ball has reached the back row or before a receiver is in place.
I have never attended a rugby coaching course but I assume they don't differ from any other training course some bits you absorb other bits you ignore, you leave do the job and find you use more of what you learned that you thought you would whilst deciding other bits are just not for you. Its like driving getting the licence/certificate qualifies you to learn whilst doing.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Neither Khalamafoni or Vieanu have been named in the Tongan World Cup squad
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 am I don't entirely disagree with BFG. My previous comment was in response to MikeR regarding the scrumhalf position which I regard as one of strength. The Tiger's team did not play well last season, individuals all had their moments of good and bad but it was the team that failed.
I suppose my comments could be influenced by sitting in near supporters (not the knowledgeable ones I sit with in the Crumbie) yelling for Youngs to move it quicker even before the ball has reached the back row or before a receiver is in place.
I have never attended a rugby coaching course but I assume they don't differ from any other training course some bits you absorb other bits you ignore, you leave do the job and find you use more of what you learned that you thought you would whilst deciding other bits are just not for you. Its like driving getting the licence/certificate qualifies you to learn whilst doing.
What we did see, towards the end of last season after Mike Ford's arrival, was the scrum half getting the ball out and away quicker (when the forwards allowed them to do so of course) - a change which would have benefitted YBY (IMHO, of course)
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:34 am Neither Khalamafoni or Vieanu have been named in the Tongan World Cup squad
Has that even been named yet, or are you on about the PNC?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ah my apologies serves me right for speed reading it is the PNC, but I would say it’s a pretty good indicator
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not sure on that.

World rugby pay for the insurance during the Rugby World Cup.
Whereas Tonga struggle to pay for it outside of it.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

31 man squad with some big names in there Tameifuna, Mafi Takulua, Piutau.

You could well be right but seems strange to have such key warm up games so close to a World Cup and not select all your best available players.
We will just have to wait and see
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 am I don't entirely disagree with BFG. My previous comment was in response to MikeR regarding the scrumhalf position which I regard as one of strength. The Tiger's team did not play well last season, individuals all had their moments of good and bad but it was the team that failed.
I don't disagree regarding last season, but some are held and paid more highly than others, just because that's so doesn't mean they are above the truth.
Players are selected by some highly regarded coaches, they can also be selected by some not so highly regarded.
It's a team game but we often seem to be in a situation where everyone is waiting for someone else to pick up the pace.
I don't know where it started exactly but the bug has bitten many and even crept into basics such as tackling which was as dire as I've ever witnessed last season.
You expect genuine highly paid leaders to not be susceptible to this kind of mentality!
I think Tigers have aquired some players who look hungry for a scrap which hopefully will change things a bit.

Regarding coaching etc, possessing a licence doesn't stop people talking on their mobile phone whilst driving or speeding at 40 in a 20 zone past a school, much like I've witnessed blokes some highly qualified and some within a week of passing RFU run courses completely ignore individuals that they don't personally like or demand that kids smash eachother in training and shouting at them when they don't meet their demands.
Both younger and older can be equally as guilty.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd be very surprised if Kalamafoni and Veainu don't go to the RWC.

Interesting Tonga squad though. Nasi Manu back after a cancer battle. Sam Lousi at lock. Vailanu is massively improved from his time with Sarries as well. They are short at 10 but have the very consistent Takulua to run things at 9.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

As you say it would be a surprise although Veainu hasn’t played for Tonga for a number of years now.

There was also talk of them trying to tap Jordan Taufua up but I see he is playing in the New Zealand domestic competition I think for Tasmania
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Confirmed: Mélé returns to Leicester in coaching role

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/me ... ching-role
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives