LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Scott1 »

It's really put me on a downer! I guess this international coach isn't coming post WC then?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Blake appointed sometime after Christmas, our defensive performance was generally better after his appointment, we got stuffed by Exeter when we were a man down for much of the match and we had a poor performance at Sale when injury and international call up meant we had a much depleted team. I cannot say I am convinced of his effectiveness but I am prepared to give him and the rest of the coaching team a chance. A lot of last season's defeats seem to be as we ran out of steam near the end of a match or could be traced back to individual errors down to the player not necessarily the coaches.
Surely it is time to put last season behind us and start to think positively.
We are going to be without some of our best players for early matches, most other teams will not be as affected by the World Cup as us, the players (and coaches) are going to need our support from the word go, if England get through to the latter stages we may not see our boys back until December assuming they are not injured!.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Unless the Mercury is just confirming the current coaching set up...

it says that Murphy is Head Coach not DOR.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Bakewell and Blake! Oh my God! Why are they still here? You don't have to be a brain surgeon to know that they are utter rubbish, and detrimental as coaches.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:36 pm Surely it is time to put last season behind us and start to think positively.
Perfectly reasonable point, but if I burst a tyre on the way home I don't try and drive on it again just because I really believe it can do better this time. The evidence is there in front of our eyes, this coaching unit doesn't work. Add in the extra stress of a WC year and it's going to get messy.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:31 pm Ford will be head coach by the end of the season, he will do his backstabbing to get the job like he did at Bath, not the best bit of business Tigers have done. Looking forward to saying I told you so at the end of the season.
with views like this, no wonder we have difficulty in believing in our coaches - yes I know Mike personally and yes RB, I knew he had been appointed 5 weeks ago because he told me but I do know he is NOT after a head coaches job anywhere. He just want to coach without the baggage and responsibility which goes with the head coach's job. My only slight surprise is that he is attack rather than defence a role he has filled with a lot of success with the Lions. What evidence have you got regarding backstabbing at Bath Big Dan? I don't know what went on there and I suspect neither do you.
Hehehehehehehehe
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Early part of the season will be a good indicator of progress. With a significant number of players away we shall see how well we have recruited depth and the results of a full pre-season with the coaching team. I'm looking forward to it.
I'm not cynical just experienced
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Bakewell is the odd one for me, there has been little to no improvement at all under him.
Blake, I give more leeway too, as in his previous tenure he actually had the defence functioning very well, and maybe he joined too late in the season this year. Let’s see what a proper preseason can do.
Bakewell had last summer, he does not have the same excuse.
All the players spoke highly of Ford’s impact last season, so let’s see if that continues.
I felt we lacked any kind of apparent gameplay or style of rugby last year, it just seemed to be going through the motions and waiting for something to happen. Not much in the way of dynamic play or creating our own opportunities. This is Murphy’s remit, but then will there be the argument it was O’Connors squad?
Let’s see what a full preseason with arguably a better balanced squad gives us.

Wasn’t there talk of a post World Cup appointment of a new DoR?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:31 pm Wasn’t there talk of a post World Cup appointment of a new DoR?
I think that was our hope, either the club have made enquiries with those they feel might suit a role at the club and found that they have plans post RWC and so have not made an appointment, not considered a big name signing after the Loffreda farce or in communication with possible appointments to join the club next summer giving them a full pre season.
trendylfj wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:21 pm
BigDan50 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:31 pm Ford will be head coach by the end of the season, he will do his backstabbing to get the job like he did at Bath, not the best bit of business Tigers have done. Looking forward to saying I told you so at the end of the season.
with views like this, no wonder we have difficulty in believing in our coaches - yes I know Mike personally and yes RB, I knew he had been appointed 5 weeks ago because he told me but I do know he is NOT after a head coaches job anywhere. He just want to coach without the baggage and responsibility which goes with the head coach's job. My only slight surprise is that he is attack rather than defence a role he has filled with a lot of success with the Lions. What evidence have you got regarding backstabbing at Bath Big Dan? I don't know what went on there and I suspect neither do you.
Wasn't the problem at Bath that Ford publicly backed Burgess to such an extent that when he walked out it left the dressing room against him? Particularly because Carl Fearns had been pushed out to make room for Burgess. It's rumoured that George was unimpressed with the way his fellow players stopped backing his dad and that's why he was so keen to head back home to WR.
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

Wow look at all the keyboard assassins who have never been near any of the rolls under discussion yet can say the incumbents are no good. Maybe just maybe the players weren't good enough to take on board the coaching and execute it. Get over last season and support your team, new players who might understand the coaching and execute it. :smt023
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’ll be honest I was hoping for some change in the coaching set up, however, there must have been an element of truth in their excuses for last season.

Apparently the pre-season was a joke with hardly any emphasis on fitness or developing a style of play. From game one we were always at as disadvantage fitness wise which showed, how many games did we lose in the last 10 minutes.

No excuses this time round. An extended pre-season will give the coaching team time to implement their strategy and game plan. I want the players who are there to really put a marker down performance wise so the returning internationals have to fight for their places.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Interesting video on the army camp and the coaching set up, tell me. Do we have any players other than Harrison who has a neck tattoo?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:19 pm Interesting video on the army camp and the coaching set up, tell me. Do we have any players other than Harrison who has a neck tattoo?
Just watched the video, any ideas who is stood to the left of Eastmond and Gigena in the circle at the end?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:19 pm Interesting video on the army camp and the coaching set up, tell me. Do we have any players other than Harrison who has a neck tattoo?
Thompson? Thompstone has plenty as well so wouldn't be surprised if he had some ink on his neck now.
kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:39 pm
Just watched the video, any ideas who is stood to the left of Eastmond and Gigena in the circle at the end?
The big lad? Think that's the Loughborough University lad that's joined the development team.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Truefollower wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 pm Wow look at all the keyboard assassins who have never been near any of the rolls under discussion yet can say the incumbents are no good. Maybe just maybe the players weren't good enough to take on board the coaching and execute it. Get over last season and support your team, new players who might understand the coaching and execute it. :smt023
One of the best posts I've read on here in long time! I couldn't agree more. :smt023
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!