LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:11 pm I have made a video documenting Toomua's time at Tigers, hope you enjoy it and above all that is accurate!

https://youtu.be/uF13rJFvzbs
Well done. I hope Toomua is never allowed back at Welford Road in any capacity. Not even as a spectator.

I forget which King it was who Simon Sharma described as 'being at his best when times were easy'. A scathing observation, but Toomua was the same. A man at his best when times are easy.

In stark contrast George Ford was inspirational last season, almost single-handledly saving the club from relegation. He might be half the size of the media luvvy Toomua, but he's three times the man.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am impressed by the skill of JP14 in creating that video however I do think the conclusions particulrly the one drawn by Traveller are a little harsh. In life we all make decisons that we come to regret. For Toomua it is now apparent that he thought his regular international career over, I doubt he anticipated just how his wife's career would take off and just how long the young couple would be separated and how much it would affect them. For Tigers we signed a marquee player who got injured always a risk! To repay our support Matt T extended his contract and after playing well for us for a whole season was surprisingly called back into his international team, to decline that invitation would not have been a popular decision at home with his fellow Aussies. It also meant that he could return with no big reduction in the income that he hopes will secure his life after sport. Yes he left us a little early after helping to secure the win in Newcastle that ensured Tigers Premiership status, this meant he could spend a week or so with his wife before she left for the U.K with the Australian Ladies Cricket team. I agree he did not consistently play well for us last season and with hindsight probably was not value for money over the three seasons he was with us but that is a risk we take with the foreign marquee system. There have been other players that have not represented value for money, and others that have made personal decisions that showed that Tigers were not their priority in life but most of them have contributed in some way whilst with us and should therefore be welcomed back if they choose to visit although any prospect of re-employment should be very cautiously considered before dismissing the idea.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

A very considered appraisal of the situation JTG. When he played well I thought he was really good to watch. On another point I had been critical of Fordy in the past. Just shows how much I don't know as the man is real class and saved us last year. Have a great World Cup Tigers participants.
I'm not cynical just experienced
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Personally I'd welcome back Toomua to Welford Road (in the unlikely event as a player on a far smaller contract), he wasn't a success here but in-between injuries and off the field issues that wasn't a surprise even if it was a disappointment. I wish him luck back in Australia. The squad is probably stronger because of his decision to leave early so can't hold it against him too much.

I was very happy when Ford returned to the club so I was glad he's proved me right. He's class and I hope he can find time to help mentor some of the talent coming through at 10 and 12.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I believe his decision to leave early was as a result of Melbourne Rebels losing their fly halves and asked Tigers for an early release. Had Tigers still been fighting relegation, I doubt that Tigers would have agreed to an early exit.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:22 pm I am impressed by the skill of JP14 in creating that video however I do think the conclusions particulrly the one drawn by Traveller are a little harsh. In life we all make decisons that we come to regret. For Toomua it is now apparent that he thought his regular international career over, I doubt he anticipated just how his wife's career would take off and just how long the young couple would be separated and how much it would affect them. For Tigers we signed a marquee player who got injured always a risk! To repay our support Matt T extended his contract and after playing well for us for a whole season was surprisingly called back into his international team, to decline that invitation would not have been a popular decision at home with his fellow Aussies. It also meant that he could return with no big reduction in the income that he hopes will secure his life after sport. Yes he left us a little early after helping to secure the win in Newcastle that ensured Tigers Premiership status, this meant he could spend a week or so with his wife before she left for the U.K with the Australian Ladies Cricket team. I agree he did not consistently play well for us last season and with hindsight probably was not value for money over the three seasons he was with us but that is a risk we take with the foreign marquee system. There have been other players that have not represented value for money, and others that have made personal decisions that showed that Tigers were not their priority in life but most of them have contributed in some way whilst with us and should therefore be welcomed back if they choose to visit although any prospect of re-employment should be very cautiously considered before dismissing the idea.
My response is only to say that it's good to be able to have different opinions on a forum, without vitriol seeping in to the discussion / different view points. I disagree with much of what you write, but I respect your opinion.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Traveller, dont believe that vitriol is seeping into this thread. JTG has just provided his response to yourpost.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:22 pm I am impressed by the skill of JP14 in creating that video however I do think the conclusions particulrly the one drawn by Traveller are a little harsh. In life we all make decisons that we come to regret. For Toomua it is now apparent that he thought his regular international career over, I doubt he anticipated just how his wife's career would take off and just how long the young couple would be separated and how much it would affect them. For Tigers we signed a marquee player who got injured always a risk! To repay our support Matt T extended his contract and after playing well for us for a whole season was surprisingly called back into his international team, to decline that invitation would not have been a popular decision at home with his fellow Aussies. It also meant that he could return with no big reduction in the income that he hopes will secure his life after sport. Yes he left us a little early after helping to secure the win in Newcastle that ensured Tigers Premiership status, this meant he could spend a week or so with his wife before she left for the U.K with the Australian Ladies Cricket team. I agree he did not consistently play well for us last season and with hindsight probably was not value for money over the three seasons he was with us but that is a risk we take with the foreign marquee system. There have been other players that have not represented value for money, and others that have made personal decisions that showed that Tigers were not their priority in life but most of them have contributed in some way whilst with us and should therefore be welcomed back if they choose to visit although any prospect of re-employment should be very cautiously considered before dismissing the idea.
When it was first announced he was leaving I thought he might come back after getting the 60 caps but now I would doubt he wanted to, cheers for the appreciation! My main point from the video was that he didn’t respect our club, fans and jersey in his last season enough and I stuck up for him for a long time, he should have either left straight away or left after Bath.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:50 pm
When it was first announced he was leaving I thought he might come back after getting the 60 caps but now I would doubt he wanted to, cheers for the appreciation! My main point from the video was that he didn’t respect our club, fans and jersey in his last season enough and I stuck up for him for a long time, he should have either left straight away or left after Bath.
I don’t necessarily disagree, but it is important to remember there were some pretty disgusting examples of the fans not respecting the individual (and the club for that matter.)
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes I agree Anz and in hindsight should have done more to denounce such cowardice in my video, apologies.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Personally I believe Toomua was a far too good a player in comparison to a large number around him.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The backs (Toomua etc) are a moot point until the ball carrying improves, the 9 apart who is a key player for any pack of forwards.
I've got nothing against backs but the forwards is where it's really at, forwards win games and backs determine by how much.
The way the game is set up nowadays (laws/interpretations) demands strong ball carrying from pretty much every member of the pack to compete with the very best otherwise you're constantly playing in front of the entire opposition.
I thought everyone was in agreement that the club had underinvested up front and overinvested in the backs.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:43 pm Traveller, dont believe that vitriol is seeping into this thread. JTG has just provided his response to yourpost.
No. No. No. I genuinely meant what I said. JTG's post was excellent. I was not being sarcastic, ironic. All the points he made were perfectly reasonable in my view. We just disagree. I was genuinely complimenting, thanking him for responding in such a measured manner.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Toomua was vaunted as a world class centre that would transform our toothless attack. Unfortunately he did not demonstrate sufficient evidence of the former in order to accomplish the latter.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Methinks Toomau like the other Internationals in the backs found the lack of forward power/ effort/ willing and general uselessness a bridge too far...