LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Scott1 »

I'm still not sure about 12,KE is a busted flush,injury prone and can't tackle properly and I can't get excited about Reid. A squad player at Leinster who mostly only played when players were rested before European games,before derbies,during the 6N,the AI and such like. A lot on here expecting him to be our saviour,i hope I'm wrong let's see. And Hardwick hasnt shown me he's ready to start GP games at 12. Good squad fillers,don't get me wrong,starters in our gun team? Not for me no!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Genge
Youngs
Cole
Spencer
Lavinini
Taufua
Thompson
Liebenberg
Youngs
Ford
May
Reid/Eastmond/Hardwick
Manu
Holmes
Veaimu

Without even looking for it, and no not because I've put 3 names in lol,you can see the weak link on the team.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:48 pm so 11 U18 players are going to the senior academy as confirmed by Cohen on the Radio Leicester Podcast.
James Whitecome, Sam Everliegh, Jack Van Portvielt, Jonny Law, George Martin, Joe Browning, Ollie Ashworth, Sam Costelow are the ones we know about, who are the other 3?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Flash wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:23 pm I don't really know much about the 3 players is it fair to summarise as:
Cheaper squad player who will do a job
Greater depth/upgrade in non first choice centre
Significant upgrade on starting back row?
Pretty much, Although I would add
Coghlan could be a bit of rough diamond like Guy Thompson from what I've seen
Viljoen had a pretty handy partnership with Huw Jones when he was at the Stormers so he may be pushing for a starting slot
Leibenberg is an animal, when i've seen him play he is very reminiscent of Duane Vermulen and at 23 is still young, could be a future captain IMO
Flash

Post by Flash »

Thanks kpj :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:42 pm Genge
Youngs
Cole
Spencer
Lavinini
Taufua
Thompson
Liebenberg
Youngs
Ford
May
Reid/Eastmond/Hardwick
Manu
Holmes
Veaimu

Without even looking for it, and no not because I've put 3 names in lol,you can see the weak link on the team.
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:42 pm Genge
Youngs
Cole
Spencer
Lavinini
Taufua
Thompson
Liebenberg
Youngs
Ford
May
Reid/Eastmond/Hardwick
Manu
Holmes
Veaimu

Weak link is still two guys capped internationally and an age grade international. Eastmond blew hot and cold last season but started well and once the injuries and suspensions came he dropped away. A good preseason could see him fresh and ready to start well again. Reid looks dependable from what I've seen. A good all rounder. He's played HC games at 10 off the bench and looks a very good defender at 10 and centre.

Hardwick is developing nicely, he's got the physicality and the vision to make it. He needs to work on his execution because first team rugby in the premiership and Europe isn't as forgiving as it is at age grade level.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'd still be tempted to go down the Worth/Manu route or Manu/Taute with Worth at 15.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me it’s all about strength in depth, which the squad has massively improved in. We struggled last year with injuries and internationals call ups. Next year we have some quality behind the starting XV which means we should get some results with the second string players.

All about the coaching now. With the players available there really can’t be any excuses for not making top 6. We have a formidable pack with decent backups in the forwards. I would be targeting the cup games to get some consistency with the new players and integrate them as quickly as possible.
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:49 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:48 pm so 11 U18 players are going to the senior academy as confirmed by Cohen on the Radio Leicester Podcast.
James Whitecome, Sam Everliegh, Jack Van Portvielt, Jonny Law, George Martin, Joe Browning, Ollie Ashworth, Sam Costelow are the ones we know about, who are the other 3?
Would guess Steward, Phoenix and Manz
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:49 pm
Freddie Steward and Leo Gulliand are both in the pre-season pictures.
The final one no idea, think maybe du Randt maybe.
Phoenix I think is looking at 7's.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I hope Smurf targets some early season momentum by naming a strong pack for the PRC games that precede the Premiership kicking off.

1.Bateman 2.Kerr 3.Heyes 4.Spencer 5.Green 6.Reffell 7.Thompson (c) 8.Liebenberg
9.White 10.Hardwick 11.Olowofela 12.Reid 13.Taute 14.Holmes 15.Worth

16.Youngs 17.Gigena 18.Leatigaga 19.Wells 20.Lewis 21.Simmons 22.McPhillips 23.Viljeon

Something like that would be a good blend of experience and blooding the youngsters. In particular I'd really like to see Reffell in a strong back row and Hardwick playing alongside Reid/Taute during those early games.

Start as things should go on by blooding our talented development grads into a strong 23.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m thinking for first PRC

1 Bateman
2 Kerr
3 Heyes
4 Spencer
5 Green
6 Liebenberg
7 Thompson (c)
8 Kalamafoni
9 White
10 Reid
11 Olowofela
12 Eastmond
13 Taute
14 Veainu
15 Worth

Youngs, Gigena, Leatigaga, Wells, Coghlan, Simmons, Hardwick, Viljoen.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

wouldn't Veainu be at the world cup?

not been keeping up with the Welsh squad is Holmes not in their training squad?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Olowofela will not be fit for the start of the season

Since the RWC helps with the insurance I reckon Veainu and Kalamafoni will both be picked.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Holmes not be with Wales?
Bateman
Youngs
Heyes
Spencer
Wells
Reffell
Thompson
Liebenberg
White
Hardwick
Viljoen
Reid
Taute
Thompstone
Worth