LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by POSTIGER »

I know I'll get shot down for being negative here but I'm a little concerned that, other than Taufua, Green and Taute (who by all accounts isn't quite the player he was) we are signing a lot of players who are second choice at their clubs. I appreciate that they might be promising young players stuck behind more experienced pros but one of our problems last season (among many, many others) was that the team made bad decisions at key moments and managed games poorly.

I appreciate that we've only got so much room in the cap and we can't offer the financial 'incentives' other clubs 'can' but I'd really like to see us bringing more proven, experienced players to the club. There's a certain nobility in Geordan putting his faith in the clubs young players but IMHO that's a very risky strategy. Historically Tigers were great at identifying talented young lads and putting them in alongside experienced club stalwarts. I'm concerned that we've lost some players who, if nothing else, had a lot of experience and we've been left with a very callow, unproven squad. Maybe they'll deal with the pressure better than those experienced players did but my concern is what if they don't?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Lavanini?
Liebenberg? (apparently)

The thing you got to remember is how many leavers are first choice anyway?
Kitchener
Williams
Toomua
O'Connor (50/50)
Fitzgerald (50/50)

They have been replaced by
Lavanini
Liebenberg
Reid
Taufua
Green

Only 1 isn't an upgrade IMO.

Signing more starters to replace squad depth will mean a lot less players.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:52 am Lavanini?
Liebenberg? (apparently)

The thing you got to remember is how many leavers are first choice anyway?
Kitchener
Williams
Toomua
O'Connor (50/50)
Fitzgerald (50/50)

They have been replaced by
Lavanini
Liebenberg
Reid
Taufua
Green

Only 1 isn't an upgrade IMO.

Signing more starters to replace squad depth will mean a lot less players.
Not only mainly upgrades but also generally younger. I'm not expecting a wonder return to the glory years just because of these signings but they look to be a move in the right direction. More mobile and skilful without lowering the levels of physicality.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Genge
Youngs
Cole
Spencer
Lavinini
Taufua
Thompson
Liebenberg
Youngs
Ford
May
Reid
Tuilagi
Holmes
Veainu

Bateman
TPN
Leititaga
Green
Wells
Reffel
Coghlan
Kalamafoni
White
Hardwick
Olowefella
Eastmond
Taute
Thompstone
Worth

1 very good team there easily top 4 and one decent team. A drop off obviously but a strong front 5 and experience in the backs. I've no problems at all with that set of players it's the coaching team that terrifies me. That squad should be nowhere near the bottom spots this season
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:06 pm Let's hope these new players go well and the coaches get the best out of them whoever they may be. I'm sick to death already of skimming around sites seeing posters ask who's going down LI,Wuss or us? It's embarrassing and the fixtures arnt even out yet! What's happened to our great club?!

Too true. Let's have a far better season next time, with no worries of coming bottom.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

My bad, I forgot about Lavanini. I didn't include Liebenberg because, as far as I know, he hasn't been announced officially yet.

Hopefully they are significant upgrades. They're going to need to be.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

"1 very good team there easily top 4 and one decent team. A drop off obviously but a strong front 5 and experience in the backs. I've no problems at all with that set of players it's the coaching team that terrifies me. That squad should be nowhere near the bottom spots this season"
Agree 100% Scott. If we had a couple or three ace coaches, the outlook would be quite different. We have one - Boris.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Heyes
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JWM wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:52 pmHeyes
Yes no Heyes or Kerr which only strengthens my argument!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm
JWM wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:52 pmHeyes
Yes no Heyes or Kerr which only strengthens my argument!
Kerr could well be the starting hooker by the end of next season. I was very impressed by him in the season just gone, seems to be a good all rounder who is hungry to improve.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Personally I think a few posters are overrating quite a few players and with it expectations to suit their drum banging.
The likes of Kerr and Heyes are clearly down the order in terms of ability and have only showed limited potential so far.
Heyes did alright with the U20's but it's a massive drop in level, even I could see the need to scrummage technically well wasn't required for him at that level with his size and it wasn't a great standard all round this year either, at senior level he has been and will continue to be tested so much harder.
Likewise Kerr showed good spirit last season but it was clearly a big step up in intensity and one that can't automatically be taken for granted.
Much will depend on the individuals concerned and coaches can't be blamed for everything.
Look around the league at every squad and there are some better and others more settled than Leicester.

Leicester have a lot to put right and aren't instantly going to smash everyone week in and week out.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

BFG wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:41 pm Personally I think a few posters are overrating quite a few players and with it expectations to suit their drum banging.
The likes of Kerr and Heyes are clearly down the order in terms of ability and have only showed limited potential so far.
Heyes did alright with the U20's but it's a massive drop in level, even I could see the need to scrummage technically well wasn't required for him at that level with his size and it wasn't a great standard all round this year either, at senior level he has been and will continue to be tested so much harder.
Likewise Kerr showed good spirit last season but it was clearly a big step up in intensity and one that can't automatically be taken for granted.
Much will depend on the individuals concerned and coaches can't be blamed for everything.
Look around the league at every squad and there are some better and others more settled than Leicester.
Leicester have a lot to put right and aren't instantly going to smash everyone week in and week out.
To be fair to Heyes he did pretty well in the scrum during the last Prem season, especially considering his age
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For me Heyes was pretty much unfazed by his opposition in the prem, especially in the latter stages of the season.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Are people talking about Jake Kerr, international hooker?

I think he’ll be nailed on starter in the 2 shirt far earlier than the end of the season. GF will captain the side with OTY remaining as “club captain”.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:22 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:41 pm Personally I think a few posters are overrating quite a few players and with it expectations to suit their drum banging.
To be fair to Heyes he did pretty well in the scrum during the last Prem season, especially considering his age
I thought he did well on occasions and not so on other occasions, understandably didn't get a huge amount of time and is still young.
I think it's unfair though to exaggerate the strength in depth with these less developed players and load the pressure to perform squarely onto coaches shoulders as some posters are trying to do.
The super rugby nause' won't be happy until a former super rugby coach is installed once again.
The same ones who go quiet about how good Ackermann is when Cipriani isn't playing and Gloucester lose.