LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am I hope Gigena stays if his contract is up, thought he could have been a World Cup bolter for the Pumas might still be if injuries occur.
Agree on Gigena, delighted he's here for 2019/20 and hope he signed a longer extension. He's a very capable third choice LH who has improved a lot working with Stanko.

It's going to be interesting to see if Owen Hills gets opportunities this season. He was highly rated before his injury troubles but there's a lot of quality at LH with Grahamslaw now coming through. Keston Lines is yet another LH coming through.

It should work well for Tigers that the very talented Whitcombe is now predominantly playing TH.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Next season will be judged entirely on preseason (training wise more than results) and our coaching team because it's very clear we have the players as well as some substantial reinforcements coming in the pack to be challenging for dare I say it, 3rd?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes JP,last season was a sort of players or coaches fault kind of debate. That's been put to bed this season with our recruitment. It's all on the coaching team now,no excuses.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Could see Whitcombe playing Loosehead potentially more in the future.
Rob Hardwick pushed him from Tight head spot towards the end of season despite being a year younger.

The club will have come tough calls about the younger players.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:07 pm Could see Whitcombe playing Loosehead potentially more in the future.
Rob Hardwick pushed him from Tight head spot towards the end of season despite being a year younger.

I was under the impression that Whitcombe started at loosehead but has moved over to tighthead more these days? He has played both this season though. Will be interesting to see how he develops going over to Oz.

Hardwick is another talent though agreed. Jack Rowntree is only 17 but has a lot of talented players in the years above him for the development and academy squads.

My main worry would be Grahamslaw moving up to Edinburgh or Glasgow to further his Scotland ambitions. He was really impressive last season prior to his injury with the Scotland U20s. The switch to LH seems to have taken really well for him.

Interesting that Ealing have let Ben Betts go out on loan to Nottingham for the 2019/20 season.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

In 4-5 years time could we have a full academy produced prop department, Heyes, Whitecome, Grahamslaw, Maxwell, Hardwick and Rowntree all seem to be highly rated
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ABClub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:33 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:07 pm Could see Whitcombe playing Loosehead potentially more in the future.

I was under the impression that Whitcombe started at loosehead but has moved over to tighthead more these days? He has played both this season though. Will be interesting to see how he develops going over to Oz.

Hardwick is another talent though agreed. Jack Rowntree is only 17 but has a lot of talented players in the years above him for the development and academy squads.

My main worry would be Grahamslaw moving up to Edinburgh or Glasgow to further his Scotland ambitions. He was really impressive last season prior to his injury with the Scotland U20s. The switch to LH seems to have taken really well for him.

Interesting that Ealing have let Ben Betts go out on loan to Nottingham for the 2019/20 season.
No other way round.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:43 pm In 4-5 years time could we have a full academy produced prop department, Heyes, Whitecome, Grahamslaw, Maxwell, Hardwick and Rowntree all seem to be highly rated
Maxwell will not be kept most likely.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:54 pm
ABClub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:33 pm

No other way round.
https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/feature ... whitcombe/

“I was actually a loosehead to start with and can still play both, which is useful, but I’m edging more towards the No.3 jersey and Coley’s just brilliant there."

Wouldn't be the first TRP typo but that's a quote from Whitcombe himself in April. Living in Scotland these days I'd be the first to admit that my following of the youth set-up is done from afar though, so you're more knowledgeable than myself on this front RB.

I really miss watching the A-league and academy games. I have had the enjoyment of seeing Grahamslaw perform for the Scotland U20s though through being in Scotland. Also got to see Jake Kerr when he was tearing up the Scottish Premiership for Boroughmuir. Just a shame that Sam Yawayawa didn't kick on at Glasgow.

Either way at 18 and capable on both sides there is time for Whitcombe to find his favoured position.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Just saying there is a reason why Whitcombe played loosehead in the final.
Hardwick been one of the stand out Props in the league and at school level.

Really excited about Vanes and Hardwick in the U17's
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:44 pm Just saying there is a reason why Whitcombe played loosehead in the final.

Not arguing that, RB. Hardwick is a mountain of a man for a 17-year-old. Hopefully Tigers can keep both as Whitcombe looks a real talent around the park.

I'd add Emeka Ilione to Vanes and Hardwick. I've got huge hopes for him. A real impressive leader as well as athlete in the back row.

Any news on whether Allsopp and/or Gibson will graduate to the development squad RB? It's great having hookers coming through given that Youngs and TPN are approaching the back end of their careers.

Just a shame that Mahoney stalled due to his injuries. I hope he kicks on elsewhere and gets back into a Prem squad, a really physical hooker prior to missing a lot of rugby.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ABClub wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:52 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:44 pm Just saying there is a reason why Whitcombe played loosehead in the final.

Not arguing that, RB. Hardwick is a mountain of a man for a 17-year-old. Hopefully Tigers can keep both as Whitcombe looks a real talent around the park.

I'd add Emeka Ilione to Vanes and Hardwick. I've got huge hopes for him. A real impressive leader as well as athlete in the back row.

Any news on whether Allsopp and/or Gibson will graduate to the development squad RB? It's great having hookers coming through given that Youngs and TPN are approaching the back end of their careers.

Just a shame that Mahoney stalled due to his injuries. I hope he kicks on elsewhere and gets back into a Prem squad, a really physical hooker prior to missing a lot of rugby.
Yes illione also think Noumey could be a very good back rower. (was mainly talking front row).
Doubt either Allsopp or Gibson will get a contracts.

Harding who was the hooker last season and is currently at Loughbrough Uni might play more A league games similar to what he did this season.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Prop - James Whitcombe
Lock - George Martin, Tom Manz
Back Row - Ollie Ashworth, Sam Eveleigh
Scrum-half - Jonny Law, Jack Van Poortvliet
Fly-half - Sam Costelow
Centre - Benjamin Dickinson, Ronnie Du Randt
Wing - Joe Browning, Leo Gilliland, Luke Phoenix
Full back - Freddie Steward

Think that's a decent prediction of academy grads this season then? Maybe Pheonix to miss out after his injuries?

Add those to Grahamslaw, Lines, Jordan, Lavin, Gough and Smith from this season and you've got quite some development squad.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Doubt that many will get contracts.
Out of those
Dickinson won't get one most likely
Potentially Phoenix, Manz and RdR.

Reckon 11 will be the most.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ne ... -teenagers

Eveleigh and Whitcombe are both at Sydney University for three months before returning in the development squad. I believe those are the first academy grads officially confirmed by the club.