LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
ABClub
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 454
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by ABClub » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:53 pm

Rumours are that AWJ hasn't had an offer from the regions or WRU.

Most Prem sides are up to the cap, French sides are avoiding signing players who will be at the RWC until December and Top League sides are highly selective about overseas stars.

Tigers were recently rumoured to be after Donnacha Ryan so perhaps there is money left for an experienced lock.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3961
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by JP14 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:34 pm
JP14 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Yes RB you are correct however Jones was preferred over Itoje which arguably lost us the series in New Zealand and went at the expense of Joe Launchbury who at the time was playing better rugby than Jones at the time and I would argue still is a better lock-forward, but experience and leadership will forever be used disguise the fact he is an overrated, privileged player who at the end of the day is just Gatland’s teacher’s pet.
Arguably I don't think it did.
What does privileged mean in this context?
That’s fine if you think that and re your second point I was referring to his independent school upbringing.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7255
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by RagingBull » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:30 pm

JP14 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:34 pm
JP14 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Yes RB you are correct however Jones was preferred over Itoje which arguably lost us the series in New Zealand and went at the expense of Joe Launchbury who at the time was playing better rugby than Jones at the time and I would argue still is a better lock-forward, but experience and leadership will forever be used disguise the fact he is an overrated, privileged player who at the end of the day is just Gatland’s teacher’s pet.
Arguably I don't think it did.
What does privileged mean in this context?
That’s fine if you think that and re your second point I was referring to his independent school upbringing.

That is pretty pointless comment when it can be referred to most players.

MCC1964
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:29 pm
Location: East Midlands

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by MCC1964 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:37 pm

JP14 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:22 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:34 pm
JP14 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Yes RB you are correct however Jones was preferred over Itoje which arguably lost us the series in New Zealand and went at the expense of Joe Launchbury who at the time was playing better rugby than Jones at the time and I would argue still is a better lock-forward, but experience and leadership will forever be used disguise the fact he is an overrated, privileged player who at the end of the day is just Gatland’s teacher’s pet.
Arguably I don't think it did.
What does privileged mean in this context?
That’s fine if you think that and re your second point I was referring to his independent school upbringing.
Really? I mean REALLY? Get the :smt100 chip of your shoulder man and come up with a better argument that’s that. There’s some twaddle spouted, but that takes the biscuit. I’d like to hear you say that to him directly to his face. No? I didn’t think so.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2444
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by BFG » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm

There is a lot to be learned from a player like AWJ.
He is far from being the most talented player that you'll ever see but neither was Johnson and it's said that he was a great leader and presence to have.
Could be the kind of presence and attitude that has been missing since the undermining of Cockers and what a player for a youngster to learn from.

MCC1964
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:29 pm
Location: East Midlands

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by MCC1964 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm

BFG wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm
There is a lot to be learned from a player like AWJ.
He is far from being the most talented player that you'll ever see but neither was Johnson and it's said that he was a great leader and presence to have.
Could be the kind of presence and attitude that has been missing since the undermining of Cockers and what a player for a youngster to learn from.
You see that JP14? A well balanced, informed and most importantly a rugby based argument. Not everyone may agree with the opinion, although to go on record I certainly do agree with it. I remember when Brad Thorn was here I talked to one or two players on match days and they were effusive in their praise for him regarding his impact and contribution even though in the end he didn’t actually play that many times.

AWJ is a legend of the game. End of. Find me any player, pundit or journo who doesn’t think so and I’ll.......well, Woolies isn’t around any more, but you get my drift. :smt003

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2627
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Scott1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:46 pm

MCC1964 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm
BFG wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm
There is a lot to be learned from a player like AWJ.
He is far from being the most talented player that you'll ever see but neither was Johnson and it's said that he was a great leader and presence to have.
Could be the kind of presence and attitude that has been missing since the undermining of Cockers and what a player for a youngster to learn from.
You see that JP14? A well balanced, informed and most importantly a rugby based argument. Not everyone may agree with the opinion, although to go on record I certainly do agree with it. I remember when Brad Thorn was here I talked to one or two players on match days and they were effusive in their praise for him regarding his impact and contribution even though in the end he didn’t actually play that many times.

AWJ is a legend of the game. End of. Find me any player, pundit or journo who doesn’t think so and I’ll.......well, Woolies isn’t around any more, but you get my drift. :smt003
Using pundits and journos as case for your argument. :smt005

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6686
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by jgriffin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:11 pm

As the father of a youngest who knew AWJ as a contemporary (we lived in Swansea twice) the privilege is somewhat correct and NOT a chip. His lawyer parents paid for a lad who was not the best in the district to attend every coaching course going, and while he is talented, he was connected, which some good players weren't. Fascinating that he did so very well when Henson, at the same age head-and-shoulders above his peers, did not; a reflection of a character who repaid his parents' belief.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3251
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by sam16111986 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:39 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:11 pm
As the father of a youngest who knew AWJ as a contemporary (we lived in Swansea twice) the privilege is somewhat correct and NOT a chip. His lawyer parents paid for a lad who was not the best in the district to attend every coaching course going, and while he is talented, he was connected, which some good players weren't. Fascinating that he did so very well when Henson, at the same age head-and-shoulders above his peers, did not; a reflection of a character who repaid his parents' belief.
He's clearly benefitted from financially supportive parents but being down to earth enough to recognise your limitations and then to work on them using every resource you have is rare. We have some very talented young locks that might well benefit from that attitude of pushing their self improvement. As well as some mentoring from a very experienced pro.

AWJ is very good at playing the officials, something we are not good at. If he can pass some of those tips on to some of the lads that could benefit us for years.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2444
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by BFG » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:42 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:46 pm
MCC1964 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm
BFG wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm
There is a lot to be learned from a player like AWJ.
He is far from being the most talented player that you'll ever see but neither was Johnson and it's said that he was a great leader and presence to have.
Could be the kind of presence and attitude that has been missing since the undermining of Cockers and what a player for a youngster to learn from.
You see that JP14? A well balanced, informed and most importantly a rugby based argument. Not everyone may agree with the opinion, although to go on record I certainly do agree with it. I remember when Brad Thorn was here I talked to one or two players on match days and they were effusive in their praise for him regarding his impact and contribution even though in the end he didn’t actually play that many times.

AWJ is a legend of the game. End of. Find me any player, pundit or journo who doesn’t think so and I’ll.......well, Woolies isn’t around any more, but you get my drift. :smt003
Using pundits and journos as case for your argument. :smt005
There are big factors worth considering, not least as Welsh Captain over the last few years I can't think of any other player in the Northern Hemisphere more qualified to give advice on taking on the might that is the Saracens pack that makes up most of the England team.
As an opponent of Ben Youngs over several years he'd also bring the kind of knowledge that is seriously worth hearing.

Cagey Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1749
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: South Lincolnshire

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Cagey Tiger » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:46 pm
MCC1964 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm
BFG wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm
There is a lot to be learned from a player like AWJ.
He is far from being the most talented player that you'll ever see but neither was Johnson and it's said that he was a great leader and presence to have.
Could be the kind of presence and attitude that has been missing since the undermining of Cockers and what a player for a youngster to learn from.
You see that JP14? A well balanced, informed and most importantly a rugby based argument. Not everyone may agree with the opinion, although to go on record I certainly do agree with it. I remember when Brad Thorn was here I talked to one or two players on match days and they were effusive in their praise for him regarding his impact and contribution even though in the end he didn’t actually play that many times.

AWJ is a legend of the game. End of. Find me any player, pundit or journo who doesn’t think so and I’ll.......well, Woolies isn’t around any more, but you get my drift. :smt003
Using pundits and journos as case for your argument. :smt005
I bow my head to your vastly superior knowledge to all us mere mortals (pundits and journos included) on all rugby matters Scotty :smt016 :smt002

trendylfj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:16 am
Location: MARKET HARBOROUGH

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by trendylfj » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Has Denton's retirement been confirmed?? RG has him as retired and in the squad???
Hehehehehehehehe

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7255
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by RagingBull » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:23 pm

trendylfj wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 pm
Has Denton's retirement been confirmed?? RG has him as retired and in the squad???
I have it as rumoured out.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3594
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by strawclearer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:23 pm
trendylfj wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 pm
Has Denton's retirement been confirmed?? RG has him as retired and in the squad???
I have it as rumoured out.
I hope he takes as long as he needs to get right but, even quite recently, it wasn't encouraging.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:25 pm
Location: coalville

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by voice of the crumbie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 am

strawclearer wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:23 pm
trendylfj wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 pm
Has Denton's retirement been confirmed?? RG has him as retired and in the squad???
I have it as rumoured out.
I hope he takes as long as he needs to get right but, even quite recently, it wasn't encouraging.
Fortunately from an article I read some time ago Tigers are giving him all the support and time he needs. He was particularly complimentary about the support he was / is getting. Apparently they are prepared for him to only play a handful of games next season if it means he gets better. With all the turmoil of the past season it makes me proud to support a club that treats its players this way. I really hope he recovers and plays again as I'm sure we all do.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Coops, daktari, fentiger, OakhamTiger32 and 2 guests