David Mele to return to Tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: David Mele to return to Tigers?

Post by sapajo »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:03 pm he’s starting with the academy, so what’s the big risk?
So whats the big gain?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It is ridiculous to
complain about ex tigers getting appointed. What is important is that we have the right man for he right job, whether ex Tigers or not. We have some awful coaches that are/were ex Tigers, there is no disputing that. We have Boris doing a good job, and Roundtree would have fitted in well, because he does have the right credentials.

David Mele I believe will do a good job.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:53 pm Unbelievable yet another recruit to the retired ex Tigers coaching team. Seems the BOD are in complete and utter denial as to why our great club is in such a disgraceful state. These appointments are regressive and in my opinion are at the heart of Tigers downfall.
Sometimes I think you’re just copying and pasting posts
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:41 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:03 pm he’s starting with the academy, so what’s the big risk?
So whats the big gain?
Big gain is he could be another highly regarded coach like Gustard. You don’t know until you see his work. Just maybe he’ll show an aptitude for coaching whilst with the academy, that can then transition to seniors.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Who will be the academy coaches for next season then? Smith, Deacon and Mele? Allen off the CRFC.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:46 pm
So whats the big gain?
Big gain is he could be another highly regarded coach like Gustard. You don’t know until you see his work. Just maybe he’ll show an aptitude for coaching whilst with the academy, that can then transition to seniors.
If if's and ands
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:49 pm It is ridiculous to
complain about ex tigers getting appointed.
How so? Just like you I express an opinion but its just that, so don't dress it up as fact. Nowt as blind as those that refuse to see.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Instead of having the same ideological argument over and over how about this- what are we looking for in a very junior level coach, and which specifically does Mélé not have? He was a really good player on his day with a couple of medals to show and if he's willing to swap the French seaside for the East Midlands he must really want the job. Also having a native French speaker on staff might help us recruit some youth talent from the Top14 or D2. The club is a massive machine with a lot of moving parts, I don't think it's helpful to look just at one aspect in our recruitment if we want to be successful again.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Well said :smt003
A2O
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:14 pm Instead of having the same ideological argument over and over how about this- what are we looking for in a very junior level coach, and which specifically does Mélé not have? He was a really good player on his day with a couple of medals to show and if he's willing to swap the French seaside for the East Midlands he must really want the job. Also having a native French speaker on staff might help us recruit some youth talent from the Top14 or D2. The club is a massive machine with a lot of moving parts, I don't think it's helpful to look just at one aspect in our recruitment if we want to be successful again.
It might help to also gain some development opportunities to play in France.
The Pro D2 is looking in good shape and I do not know if it's still the case but there was a plan to develop a third professional tier in France.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

BFG wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:35 pm
It might help to also gain some development opportunities to play in France.
The Pro D2 is looking in good shape and I do not know if it's still the case but there was a plan to develop a third professional tier in France.
The third tier is Fédérale 1 and I believe that it is more or less professional to a certain extent. Clubs like Albi (who were in the mix for promotion to ProD2) are certainly classed as professional.
ProD2 is indeed in good shape and David Mélé's old Top14 club Perpignan will play ProD2 next season. From what I've read in the French press, he will be involved in coaching Tigers' half-backs aswell as a role with the academy. Mélé was a highly respected player in France and I see only positives with his imminent appointment at Welford Road and couldn't care less that he's an ex-Tiger! I'll be following his influence with interest.
Semper in excretia
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Only just found out he has been capped by Spain.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:53 pm

So whats the big gain?
If if's and ands
Which would likely apply to any coaching appointment. Or any signing for that matter.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:53 pm

So whats the big gain?
If if's and ands
Except when it comes to recruiting ex-Tigers, which is always negative in your view. I'm more than happy for you to have this view and express it on here. I'm also more than happy to have the view that this is a blinkered, sweeping generalisation and say so on here.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:30 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 pm 3. He was only here for 2 seasons
4. If we rule out every player or coach with a previous connection to Tigers, how many would that rule out? A large number.
Its should only ever be about the very best candidate for the job and nothing else.
Sadly the opposite is true when it comes to coaching appointments at Tigers.
I agree, with one extra word "best available candidate". Whether they are ex-Tigers or not is irrelevant.