Sir Barnes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by JP14 »

I get where BFG is coming, for me Barnes acts too hard to be friends with the players rather than focusing on officiation but I do like him on BT Sport/Channel 5.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:59 pm You watch your game BFG the rest of us will watch ours
How anyone could see the Nowell incident as accidental just beggars belief!
The bloke is clearly held and bent backwards on the floor by the tackler and it's a clear penalty and potentially worthy of further sanction.
If the tackler releases on landing on the floor when he is supposed to do so then that injury doesn't happen.
Last edited by BFG on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

BFG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:26 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:59 pm You watch your game BFG the rest of us will watch ours
The bloke is clearly held and bent backwards on the floor by the tackled player and it's a clear penalty and potentially worthy of further sanction.
If the tackler releases on landing on the floor when he is supposed to do so then that injury doesn't happen.
I’ll have to watch it back but if you release instantly, the player is allowed to get back up off the floor as he’s classed as “not held”. A few seconds is perfectly fine and shows the tackle is completed.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:08 pm I get where BFG is coming, for me Barnes acts too hard to be friends with the players rather than focusing on officiation but I do like him on BT Sport/Channel 5.
He isn’t being friendly he is being respectful as players are to him, also it is easier for a player to hear and act on George roll away rather than number 5 roll away
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The bloke is clearly held and bent backwards on the floor by the tackled player and it's a clear penalty and potentially worthy of further sanction.
Again you’ll be in a minority of 1 with that, officials, players and commentators all saw nothing wrong, though I have no doubt you’ll continue to think that
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

1989Tiger wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:28 pm I sometimes wonder why some people bother watching rugby as whatever the subject in discussion is, they always have something negative to say about it.

Sticking to topic, Barnes is the bet ref we have in this country and one of, if not the best in the world.

I completely agree. :smt023
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:32 pm
Again you’ll be in a minority of 1 with that, officials, players and commentators all saw nothing wrong, though I have no doubt you’ll continue to think that
A minority of one and just on here so far, it's hardly a wider view.
Personally I believe laws are in place to protect the players and refs aren't applying them properly.
I'd accept the Nowell incident wasn't intentional but it was cause and effect.
The Nowell incident reminded me a little of the Hawkins incident, not as blatantly stupid but it was reckless.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:54 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:49 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 pm

A minority of one and just on here so far, it's hardly a wider view.
Personally I believe laws are in place to protect the players and refs aren't applying them properly.
I'd accept the Nowell incident wasn't intentional but it was cause and effect.
The Nowell incident reminded me a little of the Hawkins incident, not as blatantly stupid but it was reckless.
No I know you’re off your meds
When others look at it again and see where I'm coming from you'll look slightly foolish to rush in and be so hasty to judge!
No I won’t but I don’t expect you to accept that. Like the occasion you tried to convince me that numbers 6,7 and 8 formed the back line of the scrum :smt046
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:57 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:54 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:49 pm
No I know you’re off your meds
When others look at it again and see where I'm coming from you'll look slightly foolish to rush in and be so hasty to judge!
No I won’t but I don’t expect you to accept that. Like the occasion you tried to convince me that numbers 6,7 and 8 formed the back line of the scrum :smt046
We shall see, as if this isn't a tackled player being held by the tackler on the floor whilst being bent over backwards and getting his leg trapped when the tackler is supposed to release then fair play you are quite entitled to call me out on it!
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 40051.html
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

That picture shows nothing other than Jack Nowell holding the ball and someone tackling him, it is a snap shot of 1 second in an 80 minute game.

But yet again you are changing your tune in an attempt not to be proved wrong.
Your last statement said there were comparisons between this incident and Calumn Clark carrrying out a jujitsu arm lock on Rob Hawkins which led to him being disfigured for life.

What little credibility you did have has now completely disappeared and I shall not be responding to any more of your posts.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

No need for all that! :smt017
The picture shows all that needs showing, which is the tackler and tackled player on the floor and the tackler still holding the tackled player.
is that an infringement or not?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

1989Tiger wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm
I’ll have to watch it back but if you release instantly, the player is allowed to get back up off the floor as he’s classed as “not held”. A few seconds is perfectly fine and shows the tackle is completed.
I'm glad '89 has addressed this as for me this is another underlying issue in world rugby, as if you release you risk the player not being held (I think this rule needs to be a bit more definitive too), and getting up and making ground but if you hold on you risk getting in the way for the likes of Connor Murray to put on a show about.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:05 pm
1989Tiger wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm
I'm glad '89 has addressed this as for me this is another underlying issue in world rugby, as if you release you risk the player not being held (I think this rule needs to be a bit more definitive too), and getting up and making ground but if you hold on you risk getting in the way for the likes of Connor Murray to put on a show about.
Yes agree it has been an issue for ages.
The tackler releasing as the laws require is a really important part of the game for attacking teams to be able to recycle ball quickly.
Sarries have always prolonged holding the tackled player and often roll them, it being allowed helps them get their dominant defensive line set and I think it is why Exeter went for them very hard at the breakdown yesterday.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The tackle area is a mess,the team who can cheat the best will profit. Wrong but true I'm afraid.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The problem lies in the law itself.
If the tackler releases immediately the tackled player gets up and carries on. If he holds on he gets penalised.

All that needs to change is the requirement to be held is got rid of. If you are brought down (any part of the body other than the feet on the ground) then you should be required to release the ball and get back to your feet before playing the ball. No crawling or rolling. Held or not then disappears and any tackler who holds on after bringing the player down will rightly be penalised.