Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sir Barnes

Post by Crofty »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:15 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:49 am What about tap tackles then? For a carrier to hit the ground momentarily and not be allowed to bounce back up and carry on would be wholly unfair imo.
He can always release the ball, bounce back up and play it!

Relatively speaking tap tackles are few and may be a price to pay for the solving of the holding/crawling mess and with it the lottery of who gets penalised.
For reference, the down by contact rule in American Football stipulates that to be tackled the player must be touched by a defender while they are down, so in the tap tackle scenario they can get up and run unless a defender gets to them.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I don't put refs/Sirs down.
They have a difficult job - we don't know what directives they have to work under and how that's interporated.
Like most things in life standards have been watered down.

Barnes is the best of a bad bunch. Owens was the best of a bad bunch. But we don't have a game without one.
New directives will be issued for next season - Tigers will learn very quickly by losing players yet again for three match ban.
:smt013 We are the example.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think most of us have come to regard Barnes highly - he has developed into a very good ref.
Even he was subject to scrutiny by the Welford Road faithful in his early days :smt002

Most refs do a decent job under pressure.
Wayne Barnes strength was to seek the view of the 4th official but ultimately make the decision himself when there was a screen available. He then communicates it clearly to the players as to why he has made that decision.

One or two are clueless and indecisive, defer too much to the 4th official - such as CM-K in the bath game who let the 4th official decide in spite of seeing the footage on the big screen. This comes over as weak to the players. To be frank the 4th official in the last game that got Geordie into trouble - made decisions on what he thought happened rather than what he could actually see. I doubt Barnes would have disallowed the try for foot in touch (which the cameras did not show with certainty) nor would he have let the 4th official make the final call on their prop crawling with the ball.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:21 am I think most of us have come to regard Barnes highly - he has developed into a very good ref.
Even he was subject to scrutiny by the Welford Road faithful in his early days :smt002

Most refs do a decent job under pressure.
Wayne Barnes strength was to seek the view of the 4th official but ultimately make the decision himself when there was a screen available. He then communicates it clearly to the players as to why he has made that decision.

One or two are clueless and indecisive, defer too much to the 4th official - such as CM-K in the bath game who let the 4th official decide in spite of seeing the footage on the big screen. This comes over as weak to the players. To be frank the 4th official in the last game that got Geordie into trouble - made decisions on what he thought happened rather than what he could actually see. I doubt Barnes would have disallowed the try for foot in touch (which the cameras did not show with certainty) nor would he have let the 4th official make the final call on their prop crawling with the ball.
I think when you refer the the 4th official, you mean the TMO. :smt023

However, I don’t think any of the officials knew what they were doing against Bath.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sorry TMO or whatever they call him.

When there are big screens the 4th official should bring video "evidence" to the attention of the ref, discuss it as required, but the ref should be the one making the decision. C M-K didn't even seem to look at the screen. Would refs like Barnes or Owens not look at the video and decide for himself? Not a chance.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:17 pm Sorry TMO or whatever they call him.

When there are big screens the 4th official should bring video "evidence" to the attention of the ref, discuss it as required, but the ref should be the one making the decision. C M-K didn't even seem to look at the screen. Would refs like Barnes or Owens not look at the video and decide for himself? Not a chance.
4th Official is the guy who stands by the benches and allows players to be substituted, which is a farce in itself and needs cleaning up.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm
mol2 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:17 pm Sorry TMO or whatever they call him.

4th Official is the guy who stands by the benches and allows players to be substituted, which is a farce in itself and needs cleaning up.
The 4th Official controls the substitutions, HiA timings, Sin bin timings and manages the dugouts as to when they can go on the field of play with drinks. They are also the reserve referee and
also take any feedback from the coaches at half time and relays it back to the referee.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

teds wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:56 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:20 pm What little credibility you did have has now completely disappeared and I shall not be responding to any more of your posts.
Mark, we all have varying degrees of “credibility” but we must all remember to disagree politely.
I know it’s very difficult. Some of your own posts are great and some are - shall we say- not so great, at least in my own humble - sometimes more credible than other times - opinion.

The forum is richer for having all of us folk with different views pitching in, even if some opinions are more challenging than others.
I graciously accept your point Teds but I was responding to a post that compared the Nowell injury to Clarke’s assault on Hawkins :smt013 :smt017
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark you being are a drama :smt061 toward me IMO as I clearly stated that the Nowelll incident "REMINDED ME A LITTLE" and that's not a comparison.
Maybe there is a secret attraction... :smt047
You remind me a little of the time that I had a few too many and accidentally fell over a wall and landed on my head, as that left me dazed and could've been tragic, but the two situations are very different!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm 4th Official is the guy who stands by the benches and allows players to be substituted, which is a farce in itself and needs cleaning up.
How is that role a farce?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

DingDong wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:50 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:52 pm 4th Official is the guy who stands by the benches and allows players to be substituted, which is a farce in itself and needs cleaning up.
Not the role necessarily, the process, it takes too long in my view.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:54 pm
Replacements take too long? Really?

Have you seen them in football? The new player cannot come on until the one he is replacing is off the pitch.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

The coach requests a substitution to the 4th official. 4th official lets the ref know via radio, so next time the ball is dead players are then substituted. How farcical is that? :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

DingDong wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 pm

The coach requests a substitution to the 4th official. 4th official lets the ref know via radio, so next time the ball is dead players are then substituted. How farcical is that? :smt017
Why is it farcical? The Teams have to submit a card to the 4th Official stating what type of replacement is being requested, HIA, Blood, Tactical or Injury. It has to be controlled and there arte time limitations for Blood and HIA which need to be monitorred.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:48 pm
DingDong wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 pm
Why is it farcical? The Teams have to submit a card to the 4th Official stating what type of replacement is being requested, HIA, Blood, Tactical or Injury. It has to be controlled and there arte time limitations for Blood and HIA which need to be monitorred.
I know they all need to be monitored just reckon it could be a smoother process.