England XV v Barbarians

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: England XV v Barbarians

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:34 pm I’d prefer to say people’s opinions are just being polarised because they’re angry at the current situation of the club, I wonder what that mirrors? :smt017
Yep JP I guess you're right there. Recent experiences by colleagues and self suggest the default now is not polite disagreement but full on aggression (and, although not on this forum, worse). I'm amused that I got trashed on FB for repeating a rumble/murmur going round in Exeter that my sis told me (re unhappiness in the upper echelons re failure in Europe and again yesterday). Some posters were scathing, assume they must all be Chiefs STHs that live on Bishops Way like sis and bro and members of David Lloyd where chatter is cheap.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I left FB ages ago after they told me to stick it, so I decided to not waste my time and therefore I jogged on.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Sorry, not toxic, but White's entrance today slowed the whole process down, Cannot for the life of me see what he was doing there in the first place.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Other than a shaky first couple of touches, I thought White did alright actually.

In other news, what a couple of players Quins have in Smith and Dombrandt. I thought Smith would be too lightweight for international rugby but the kid is such a clever player. Dombrandt is a brute and made some huge carries today. They both have massive potential.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:24 pm He killed the game,a SH should be scanning BEFORE he gets to the ball ours seem to look left then right once they get there and touch the ball!!
We have seen that time after time this season.
Arrive at ruck, Wait for ref to call "Use it" look up and them pass.

A scrum half must be scanning for opportunities as he approaches the ruck so that he can give a runner an opportunity to run a line against a defence that is still getting organised. White doesn't look until he feels the ball is perfectly placed, by which time the opposition defensive line has formed, any potential runners have had to halt their charge, and often as not counter rucking has begun. Denies our ball carriers including himself of opportunities. Scrum half play is not just about box kicking and giving the fly half safe ball.

It does beg the question as to who is coaching our scrum halves. Ben Youngs is different when playing for England so some of it must be down to coaching and to an extent playing to instructions so it can't be all White's fault. Too much emphasis on game control when there is a need to attack as well and that is part of Tiger's recent (ish) problems.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:39 pm Sorry, not toxic, but White's entrance today slowed the whole process down, Cannot for the life of me see what he was doing there in the first place.
England used the game as a development opportunity. Fairly obvious why a former under 20s captain who's had a bit of a breakthrough season was selected as a replacement.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I watched the extended highlights on the BBC and White seemed ok, not sure why he was denied his try.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:51 am I watched the extended highlights on the BBC and White seemed ok, not sure why he was denied his try.
Because a Barbarians player touched the ball when it went out of play,can't take a quick lineout then
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

This is the last comment I'm going to make about 9's as what will be will be.
Leicester need next level and on current viewing I do think the level could drop.
Scrum halves are so important in setting the tempo and direction for the team and a massive part of that with today's fitness levels and defensive set ups is an individual threat from the 9, it forces defenders into thinking quicker and making misjudgements and that is missing for me and has been for a while.
The box kicking and all that I assume will be coached just as long as the coaching exists, but it's the things that can't be coached that are missing!
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Yet another thread that quickly turns to criticism of anything Tigers related.

I'm quite reassured that the armchair coaches and experts predicted that England would get buried in this game and they were so wrong. Bodes well for the accuracy of their apocalyptic predictions for next season.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

BFG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:27 am This is the last comment I'm going to make about 9's as what will be will be.
Leicester need next level and on current viewing I do think the level could drop.
Scrum halves are so important in setting the tempo and direction for the team and a massive part of that with today's fitness levels and defensive set ups is an individual threat from the 9, it forces defenders into thinking quicker and making misjudgements and that is missing for me and has been for a while.
The box kicking and all that I assume will be coached just as long as the coaching exists, but it's the things that can't be coached that are missing!
You’re talking about instinct. Ben Youngs has it. Just look at some of the tries he has scored and created over the years by using his instinct.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Could it be overcoaching? BY used to be a real live wire,it genuinely looks like we've sucked all the life out of him!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

1989Tiger wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:30 am
BFG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:27 am This is the last comment I'm going to make about 9's as what will be will be.
You’re talking about instinct. Ben Youngs has it. Just look at some of the tries he has scored and created over the years by using his instinct.
No I'm not talking about instinct.
I'm talking about the things that equate to instincts being good.
I'm referring to things such as acceleration, desire etc.
Things like vision and adapting to intensity come into it and ideally a top team wants it on the pitch but I'd accept that could be improved to a certain extent with more experience but it's not guaranteed if not naturally present.
Not every player may possess these things but a player without one or more of certain attributes will restrict a team.
The saying goes that there is no such thing as the perfect player but that has to be the end goal.
Personally I believe it's such an important position that you ideally want as much present as possible and certain attributes are a must more than ever before.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:59 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:51 am I watched the extended highlights on the BBC and White seemed ok, not sure why he was denied his try.
Because a Barbarians player touched the ball when it went out of play,can't take a quick lineout then
Yup. That was unfortunate.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

BFG wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 am
1989Tiger wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:30 am
No I'm not talking about instinct.
I'm talking about the things that equate to instincts being good.
I'm referring to things such as acceleration, desire etc.
Things like vision and adapting to intensity come into it and ideally a top team wants it on the pitch but I'd accept that could be improved to a certain extent with more experience but it's not guaranteed if not naturally present.
Not every player may possess these things but a player without one or more of certain attributes will restrict a team.
The saying goes that there is no such thing as the perfect player but that has to be the end goal.
Personally I believe it's such an important position that you ideally want as much present as possible and certain attributes are a must more than ever before.
So your “last comment about nines” wasn’t your last comment about nines then?! :smt023