Weekend match thread - 31st May 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Weekend match thread - 31st May 2019

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:12 pm Will Alex Goode be going on another full kit 4 day bender? :smt017 :smt044
#fakenews. It was setup but still good banter though :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:13 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:12 pm Will Alex Goode be going on another full kit 4 day bender? :smt017 :smt044
#fakenews. It was setup but still good banter though :smt005
Yeah, I know :smt002
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought the Chiefs really upped the physicality for the final today and certainly left it all out on the pitch.
Got away with quite a bit of going off their feet both in front and beyond the ruck in my book mostly in the first half but fair play as what the ref allows on any given day are the limits.
Incredible intensity to keep up for 80 minutes, sunshine and all, a proper ding dong battle.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

You look at Exeter’s pack on paper, player for player they’re nothing special, however they are incredibly well drilled and as a unit better than the sum of their parts.

Look at Tigers pack for next season, we need some of that coaching and fitness levels in order to compete.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:42 pm You look at Exeter’s pack on paper, player for player they’re nothing special, however they are incredibly well drilled and as a unit better than the sum of their parts.

Look at Tigers pack for next season, we need some of that coaching and fitness levels in order to compete.
As I said before,it was not a world beating pack this season but would we have finished 11th under Baxter and co? Not a chance!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:50 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:42 pm You look at Exeter’s pack on paper, player for player they’re nothing special, however they are incredibly well drilled and as a unit better than the sum of their parts.

As I said before,it was not a world beating pack this season but would we have finished 11th under Baxter and co? Not a chance!!!
It's kind of a pointless claim to make really as we will never actually know will we!
Something called common sense tells me that if experienced pro players can't be ready for pre-season and enter it unprepared to reach the levels of fitness required then as pro players the desire isn't present, not being fit enough as players in this league can also lead to injuries.
There is a perfectly explainable pattern of behaviours and resulting events going back to Cockerill being too demanding for some and falling foul of a few who wanted an easier life and getting the boot.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:56 pm For me that error that lead to George’s try was a combination of the following, a very telegraphed lineout move that enabled either Isiekwe or Itoje to put pressure, the lifter’s thrust was also half-hearted (although understandable as they were in the 76th minute) and a poor take from Dennis. It could be argued that LCD’s throw was too powerful but for me his impact to the game was really good and as an impact player could be crucial in handling England momentum.
This isn't an isolated incident though,LCD has done this many times in a Chiefs and England shirt mate.
Fair enough, I think in that scenario just throw the ball to the front man and set up a ruck, I don’t know why teams exert such pressure on themselves by throwing to jumpers at 5m out.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:05 pm

It's kind of a pointless claim to make really as we will never actually know will we!
Something called common sense tells me that if experienced pro players can't be ready for pre-season and enter it unprepared to reach the levels of fitness required then as pro players the desire isn't present, not being fit enough as players in this league can also lead to injuries.
There is a perfectly explainable pattern of behaviours and resulting events going back to Cockerill being too demanding for some and falling foul of a few who wanted an easier life and getting the boot.
I think we should’ve let Bristol have Ben Youngs when we had the chance, it was futile to hold onto him. Clearly can’t be asked anymore, his head seems to be only towards England.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Both BFG and JP14 nailed it. I would add BK out of the sphere of direct influence. The lack of conditioning not due to MOC being late, but to a kick up the bum needed to conditioning and coaching staff in general.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:11 pm
I think we should’ve let Bristol have Ben Youngs when we had the chance, it was futile to hold onto him. Clearly can’t be asked anymore, his head seems to be only towards England.
I don’t think so.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The difference was that Sarries had a few Key players who took charge of the game when it was going against them.
Itoje, Farrell and George in particular. Even then there is only so much a hooker can do to influence the game.

Look at Tigers and bar Ford & possibly Thompson we lack players with the ability to grab a game by the scruff of it's neck.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well it was a fantastic game of rugby, with by far the best two teams in England. Really enjoyed the whole match, such skill, commitment and passion.

Looking at Sarries side it's obvious why they are so good, they have outstanding players in every position.

But Exeter really are the ultimate team, yes they have good players, but nothing like the star studded line up of Sarries, but my do they play for each other, and without doubt fitness and coaching must be a big factor.

We finished very early this year, for obvious reasons, let's hope the players and coaches have a proper pre-season and turn up a different side in lots of ways next season. Eddie will certainly make sure the England boys are in peak fitness.
Soggypitch
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:00 am Both BFG and JP14 nailed it. I would add BK out of the sphere of direct influence. The lack of conditioning not due to MOC being late, but to a kick up the bum needed to conditioning and coaching staff in general.
After watching the final yesterday I believe pro rugby has entered a slightly unknown (lost) area to Leicester where the level of commitment required to reach the top with the modern pro game mentality has shifted to an entirely new level, and is possibly aided somewhat by investments etc for future player security.
I think they deserve that support for what they give but where the game goes all round from here I am not sure.
It was a brutal match at the peak of the season.
We all knew yesterday was coming seeing it build over the entire season.
Sarries are great at identifying what it takes and offering the after support.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

O’Connor still has a lot of our season to answer for, especially fitness, but if the board had been a bit more decisive and kicked him out before preseason instead of papering the cracks with this “review”, we certainly would have won a few more games.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Yes, I also would have let Youngs leave. For England he plays well, but for us he has been a lazy player for most of last season. He's clearly not interested in playing for us, so why waste good money on him? His attitude stinks!