Weekend match thread - 24-26th May

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Weekend match thread - 24-26th May

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:56 pm It's a great shame that Slater had to go off, and that Thorley isn't available.
I don't think anyone can afford to lose these kind of players against Sarries squad which has unbelievable strength in depth and credit to their coaches that they can bring in a developed player like Tomkins to score a hat trick having only been on the pitch for about 30 minutes.
Sarries missing both first choice props and losing Barrett early levels any losses or missing Gloucester players.

If it was Tigers losing by 25 points in a semi final they would be getting slaughtered on this forum
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 pm
BFG wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:56 pm It's a great shame that Slater had to go off, and that Thorley isn't available.
I don't think anyone can afford to lose these kind of players against Sarries squad which has unbelievable strength in depth and credit to their coaches that they can bring in a developed player like Tomkins to score a hat trick having only been on the pitch for about 30 minutes.
Sarries missing both first choice props and losing Barrett early levels any losses or missing Gloucester players.

If it was Tigers losing by 25 points in a semi final they would be getting slaughtered on this forum
I think you're right.
I also agree with Redstripeman's comment about the offside, something that international sides just don't get away with as much given the higher quality of the opposition and the overall higher quality of officials.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Glaws certainly had no replacement for Slater when he went off Sarries seemed to gain impetus. That leadership and nous has been massive for them this season. Sarries have it in spades and you could see that with the turnovers in defence and the clinical attack.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Redstripeman wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:07 pm ...Sarries speed and confidence is a massive asset.
Still going offside when defending and the ref sanctioning it. Sarries players making defensive tackles while 3 or 4 go past the gain line when they are nowhere near the ball. Cuts down the space for the attacking team and any turnover has immediate support from players who should not be where they are and obviously gaining an unfair advantage. Ref this game properly and they would have to sit off more, we are allowing them to re-write the rules unilaterally.
This has been going on for years, hardly never penalised, always to their advantage, and both they and Chiefs use the overrun when working through attacking phases, something again left to fester for years. Even if they retire, they do slowly at the margins to challenge line of sight and perception of width, which creates hesitation in playmakers with excellent peripheral vision.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought Pearce reffed well though...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Saracens have always been a team that likes to enforce its interpretation of the law on both the opposition and the officials.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:45 pm Saracens have always been a team that likes to enforce its interpretation of the law on both the opposition and the officials.
Bit like the all blacks.
Strange as how winning sides are often seen as the biggest rule benders
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Umm, I recall we were too!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Billy Vunipola was very good today, getting back to his 2016 form, the booing of him now is no longer necessary and is just comical.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Cobus Reinach really messed up dropping the ball when in on goal.

Saints would of gone in at half time leading.

Saints have done really well though
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Last time I saw an East Midlands side tackle this badly was........

Ah.....never mind.......forget I said anything......
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives