Geordie up before the beak...three week ban!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordie up before the beak...three week ban!

Post by Scott1 »

Do the officials get audited?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:38 pm Well, all I can say is Murphs got what he asked for. He must have known he would get a ban.
Perhaps you find the total incompetence of the TMO system acceptable then ?
A2O
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:53 pm Do the officials get audited?
I would hope anyone in charge of a professional event would be audited against a professional standard.......or are sir and his mates totally beyond reproach?

You can preach on and on about "sir always being right" and I think that was fine in the amateur days. Respect is due on the pitch, but poor performances should be dealt with professionally in the professional era. There is more at stake than a pint and a sing song.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ay2oh wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:56 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:38 pm Well, all I can say is Murphs got what he asked for. He must have known he would get a ban.
This has nothing to do with the TMO system......Murphy has said something out of order to an official and it has been reported. There are proper channels which he should have taken. He has accepted the charge and must accept the ban and learn from it.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:48 pm
This has nothing to do with the TMO system......Murphy has said something out of order to an official and it has been reported. There are proper channels which he should have taken. He has accepted the charge and must accept the ban and learn from it.
I agree the manner of criticism was unacceptable but don’t you think refs should be held accountable for poor performances?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:50 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:48 pm
I agree the manner of criticism was unacceptable but don’t you think refs should be held accountable for poor performances?
Of course they should, but some people believe that out dated procedures must be adhered to and officials, although well rewarded are above criticism.
It’s all very well saying official procedures are followed, but that means things are done out of the public eye, and are buried
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ugh cue the Old fart siren 🚨
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 pm ugh cue the Old fart siren 🚨
Unfortunately that is how things are still run both locally and nationally.
I’m not trotting out the Dean Ryan quote again but he was spot on
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

So in order to get good refs, we need ex-professional players who have experience in all positions, including props etc, so where are they? You don't see them queuing up to do the job, why? Are they not paid enough, are they not fit enough? I cant imagine front row players keeping up with the fast moving game and always being in the right position to always make the correct decision! So subsequently we have to accept what we have got, or lose even more if they are severely censured? :smt017
Bit of a conundrum!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 pm ugh cue the Old fart siren 🚨
An old fart from an old fart should raise enough of a stink. The fact.....sorry pedants....the impression that the officials are beyond reproach makes me feel quite ill.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 pm So in order to get good refs, we need ex-professional players who have experience in all positions, including props etc, so where are they? You don't see them queuing up to do the job, why? Are they not paid enough, are they not fit enough? I cant imagine front row players keeping up with the fast moving game and always being in the right position to always make the correct decision! So subsequently we have to accept what we have got, or lose even more if they are severely censured? :smt017
Bit of a conundrum!
I don’t think anyone is expecting perfection, but when they still make a right horlicks of a decision even having used the technology, and then they receive a letter of apology because a coach was openly critical of them, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I hope after his retirement, following the World Cup, BT use Sir Barnes to critique refs decisions in and open and honest way. But I won’t be holding my breath
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:28 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 pm So in order to get good refs, we need ex-professional players who have experience in all positions, including props etc, so where are they? You don't see them queuing up to do the job, why? Are they not paid enough, are they not fit enough? I cant imagine front row players keeping up with the fast moving game and always being in the right position to always make the correct decision! So subsequently we have to accept what we have got, or lose even more if they are severely censured? :smt017
Bit of a conundrum!
I don’t think anyone is expecting perfection, but when they still make a right horlicks of a decision even having used the technology, and then they receive a letter of apology because a coach was openly critical of them, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

I hope after his retirement, following the World Cup, BT use Sir Barnes to critique refs decisions in and open and honest way. But I won’t be holding my breath
I thought Barnes is already the Refs education Officer? I accept he is not an ex-pro, he really is the exception to the rule and I will be very sad when he retires, great ref!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Davey was shocking as an on field ref & still can't get it right despite numerous replays.
CMK is clueless, but so was Barnes when he started.
If the word cheat was used that was wrong, did anyone else "non" game witness it?
Be interesting if we get a full transcript.

There should be an open letter from refs but that we never happen.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

There are several things to note here ~ The original hearing was to be on Wednesday 29th in London.
However the judgement was done on paper i.e. No appearance as Geordan wisely pleaded guilty to both charges. Now Tigers have not officially announced their pre season games and under the previous RFU ruling "off season matches played by Premiership Clubs have been deemed to be meaningful by Senior members of the RFU Judicial panels" in the case of Cockerill July 2013 he initially received a 9 match coaching ban - 7 Premiership & 2 European having upset Stuart Terheege 4th official at Twickenham Tigers v Saints 25/05/2013 + £500 costs but appealed and the two pre season games v Jersey and Ulster were included in the 9 match coaching ban. Cockers pleaded not guilty then.
Tigers have always had pre season matches so time to consider these before the official match programme is announced..
In November 2017 Steve Diamond v RFU Craig Maxwell Keys 2 allegations under 5:12 Sale v Exeter he was given a 6 week "Coaching & Stadium ban!" No entry to stadium on match days, half was suspended to 2018/19 but I think he spent this too in that season IIFC He called CMK "weak minded" and aledgedly "well he was making it up,wasn't he? "
So I feel that Geordan was wrong but hopefully learnt a lesson, but the punishment is 3 weeks coaching presumably at Oval Park & Welford Road but he is not banned from the Stadium.
Sean Davey had a chequered time refereeing here in years gone by and his TMO duties left the audience mystified especially the Bath try with the forward pass & crowd screams at not referring it for Burns to do a quick drop kick. Mind you TMO David Rose gave us a bad time earlier on in the season.
So all in all I consider it an acceptable ban but preventable and pleased Geordan pleaded guilty and that it was done on paper before the official hearing too. Draw a line in the sand for the season! Move on.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Possibly time to bring in another TMO to check the first TMO, if it's a draw the ref gets the deciding vote.
They could even have golden buzzers that light up in the stadium.
Specsavers could sponsor a T.V ad break whilst it's all going on.
Numpties!