Geordie up before the beak...three week ban!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordie up before the beak...

Post by Mark62 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:36 pm I have been a season ticket holder since 1984 and have only missed 3 home games in that time. If you think that it is our worst 4-8 you have not been paying attention. When I first started following the Tigers our pack was Dean Richards and we relied totally on our backs to win games so please get your facts right before posting !
It is very true that through the early middle part of the 80s we could win a match with 35% possession such was the quality of our back line, but they were very different times
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Whatever Geordan has said, there are correct channels and processes to deal with any issues. If he has made a insinuating statement to an official, even if it is in the heat of the moment, and the match official includes it in the match report, the RFU will consider it and take the appropriate disciplinary action.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hilarious though with the stuff Dimes gets away with ,even Saint Baxter was caught on tape bemoaning officials so I heard!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

ay2oh wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:36 pm I have been a season ticket holder since 1984 and have only missed 3 home games in that time. If you think that it is our worst 4-8 you have not been paying attention. When I first started following the Tigers our pack was Dean Richards and we relied totally on our backs to win games so please get your facts right before posting !
I lived abroad between 1983 and 1989 so I defer to your better judgement. Nonetheless you didn't need to be a genius to work out that our 4-8 in the past few seasons has been desperately weak.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Traveller wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 pm
I lived abroad between 1983 and 1989 so I defer to your better judgement. Nonetheless you didn't need to be a genius to work out that our 4-8 in the past few seasons has been desperately weak.
There were 2 Tigers packs when I started watching one with Deano & one without, its a bit harsh on Dosser & Wells but the difference was huge. The backs valued the ball they got & used it well & Les was a genius! A lot of our problems stem from when our forwards were so much better than the rest, our back play post Pat Howard became poor at best as they knew the ball would be back with them shortly.
As for Smurph, if he called the officials cheats he should be banned, if it was just a bit of potty mouth syndrome that should just be a slap on the wrist, as long as Diamond is allowed to continue with his behaviour then everyone else has carte blanche to do what they wish.
We have been shocking this season but we seem to have been on the end of some really poor referring decisions that have changed results, whilst accepting Wasps at home.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
1989Tiger

Post by 1989Tiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:31 am
Traveller wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 pm
There were 2 Tigers packs when I started watching one with Deano & one without, its a bit harsh on Dosser & Wells but the difference was huge. The backs valued the ball they got & used it well & Les was a genius! A lot of our problems stem from when our forwards were so much better than the rest, our back play post Pat Howard became poor at best as they knew the ball would be back with them shortly.
As for Smurph, if he called the officials cheats he should be banned, if it was just a bit of potty mouth syndrome that should just be a slap on the wrist, as long as Diamond is allowed to continue with his behaviour then everyone else has carte blanche to do what they wish.
We have been shocking this season but we seem to have been on the end of some really poor referring decisions that have changed results, whilst accepting Wasps at home.
That Wasps decision was the correct one. There was no evidence that the ball had been grounded. No one should be complaining about it if they understand how the laws work.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

This is the problem 1989, the laws did work but it is impossible to understand how they are being applied from game to game.
Anyone who has played with common sense knows that was a try for Wasps, it couldn't physically not be.
Likewise we know when a pass is forward, this momentum excuse is nonsense and yet another creation for individual interpretation to be used by officials.
I don't blame Murphy for blowing a gasket as they are making things up as they go which is bringing inconsistency.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:57 am This is the problem 1989, the laws did work but it is impossible to understand how they are being applied from game to game.
Anyone who has played with common sense knows that was a try for Wasps, it couldn't physically not be.
Likewise we know when a pass is forward, this momentum excuse is nonsense and yet another creation for individual interpretation to be used by officials.
I don't blame Murphy for blowing a gasket as they are making things up as they go which is bringing inconsistency.
Totally agree. This momentum thing is from Southern Hemisphere rugby because of how flat they like to play.
I’ve lost count of the number of times, when the grass is cut across the pitch, the ball be passed in one cut and caught in the next and the ref say play on. No it’s not it’s forward
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Momentum is a basic law of physics it has nothing to do with which hemisphere you are playing in. This topic subject has been subject to detailed analysis and there are ample videos demonstrating how the ball retains forward momentum even if passed backwards.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

drc_007 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:22 am Momentum is a basic law of physics it has nothing to do with which hemisphere you are playing in. This topic subject has been subject to detailed analysis and there are ample videos demonstrating how the ball retains forward momentum even if passed backwards.
You mis understand me, forward used to mean forward until this momentum thing was brought in at the behest of the southern nations.
You are right about the physics but I’m not sure even explains forward by 2 meters over a distance of 10
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

drc_007 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:22 am Momentum is a basic law of physics it has nothing to do with which hemisphere you are playing in. This topic subject has been subject to detailed analysis and there are ample videos demonstrating how the ball retains forward momentum even if passed backwards.
Physics are all well and good but it doesn't help stop different individual interpretations being applied by the officials on a match by match basis, and even on the odd occasion different interpretations for the same type of incident during the same match.
We may as well now allow all passes that travel forward for consistency otherwise it's open to error and bias.
If the ball lands in front of where it was released then it's pretty simple, it was a forward pass.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Yes, but what does sometimes get misinterpreted is that momentum comes from the ball carrier not the receiver. If the carrier is static or travelling at a lower speed than the receiver and the ball travels forward, it is a forward pass....

Pages of comment and no one actually knows what Murphy said or did.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Whatever he said or did is not very clever, just proves he is not up to the job.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

No if the ball is going forwards it must have been passed forwards. What we have now is a law that allows some forward passes!
This is why the momentum interpretation is utter guff. It used to have to be passed backwards (the pitch being the reference point), then was relative to the player passing it and now which direction his hand were pointing. Too much scope for interpretation.

If the ball has forward momentum it must have been passed forwards! The player may think it was passed backwards but if the ball has forward momentum he hasn't passed it backwards.

Make the place on the pitch the reference point. If a player is running fast he just needs to make more effort to pass it backwards!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ladies and Gents I fear we are getting off topic, possibly another topic required.

BigDan50 by your logic therefore Diamond and Baxter aren’t up to the job, and Chris Boyd definitely isn’t after berating Dickson at half time v Exeter, and Baxter having to intervene.